Where To Go For Breakfast?

hong

Best kao sawy gai and pla nin phrik in Chiang Mai.

Haven't tried Daret's kao sawy gai but the lady with the corner restaurant at the intersection of the last soi running east off of the western section of moat (internal) and the soi that runs into Buak Hat Park from the southern section of moat would be very hard to beat I'd imagine. In fact, just about everything she cooks is fantastic, is very reasonably-priced and a clean establishment. Forget the name of the place but the instructions look easy enough to follow. :D:o

Best kao sawy gai and pla nin phrik in Chiang Mai.

Haven't tried Daret's kao sawy gai but the lady with the corner restaurant at the intersection of the last soi running east off of the western section of moat (internal) and the soi that runs into Buak Hat Park from the southern section of moat would be very hard to beat I'd imagine. In fact, just about everything she cooks is fantastic, is very reasonably-priced and a clean establishment. Forget the name of the place but the instructions look easy enough to follow. :D:o

jackr, please try one more time in the directions to this place. you got me all confused now. :D

Don't know the place, but if I can clarify the directions: Suppose you're at Suan Dok gate on the inside of the moat, going South in the direction of the South-Western city corner. (So where Suan Buak Had park is)

Then you'd turn left into the last soi before the corner. Or if you miss that, carry on around the corner, past Suan Buak Had Park, then take the first left.

Correct? :o

(Suan Dok is the Western city gate, so directly across from Thapae Gate (which would be the Eastern Gate)

This Khao Soi better be good!! :D I shall be having lunch there later this week.

I will then start an Epic Debate on it to rival The Great Duke Discussion of 2005/2006.

Edited by chanchao

Don't know about breakfast - too early - but my favourite brunch (apart from the Four Seasons which is more of a rare treat at 1500 per head!) is Mi Casa. Lovely Mediterranean restaurant, covered outdoor seating which is great as the weather cools, does Sunday brunches with good live jazz, great eggs Benedict, and all the usual breakfast offerings with some exotic Spanish ones I have never heard of, washed down by a jug of sangria (their bloody marys are bloody marvellous)...and roll home to chill out for the rest of the day. Bliss...

Don't know about breakfast - too early - but my favourite brunch (apart from the Four Seasons which is more of a rare treat at 1500 per head!) is Mi Casa. Lovely Mediterranean restaurant, covered outdoor seating which is great as the weather cools, does Sunday brunches with good live jazz, great eggs Benedict, and all the usual breakfast offerings with some exotic Spanish ones I have never heard of, washed down by a jug of sangria (their bloody marys are bloody marvellous)...and roll home to chill out for the rest of the day. Bliss...

Is that 1500 per " head'' literally...Cheaper in soi 6 Pattaya.. :o

Don't know the place, but if I can clarify the directions: Suppose you're at Suan Dok gate on the inside of the moat, going South in the direction of the South-Western city corner. (So where Suan Buak Had park is)

Then you'd turn left into the last soi before the corner. Or if you miss that, carry on around the corner, past Suan Buak Had Park, then take the first left.

Correct? :D

(Suan Dok is the Western city gate, so directly across from Thapae Gate (which would be the Eastern Gate)

This Khao Soi better be good!! :D I shall be having lunch there later this week.

I will then start an Epic Debate on it to rival The Great Duke Discussion of 2005/2006.

That's the one chanchao. :o

If you do make the last soi (going south), turn left, go down about 100m and the restaurant is on the right (corner on T junction, staggered crossroads), meeting up with the road which would come up from the park / southern moat road. She has about 5 or 6 stainless tables in there. The chicken literally falls off the bone - kao sawy gai, 20 baht. Always forget the name, but the crispy pork with fried veg is pretty good, too, as is her krapao. She's busier in the mornings.

May be tough to park you truck next to it but if you are driving, approach from the southern road and park just before the restaurant on the left, or indeed back in the park.

Also for Olde Time's Sake... Daret Guesthouse at Thapae and Dara Restaurant on Ratchapakinai Rd are good low key / low cost options.

And then the Nimmanhaemin Restaurant scene has just exploded beyond belief. There's a corner around where Starbucks is, where there've VERY nice breakfast coffee / sandwich places, many of them airconditioned. One very old and long running place has converted into such a smaller, aircon, coffee & food place and it's very, very good indeed, also the Thai food: Ming Muang. Much smaller and MUCH crisper and cleaner than before. Was there last Saturday. Across the road on the corner of a soi there is a place that has an almost identical menu and 'feel' to Bake & Bite. Actually Bake & Bite is still a good place in itself, on CHang Klan Road close to the Saeng Tawan intersection. (Can use the parking lot behind the old Saeng Tawan building, that's the big ex-cinema which magnificent terracotta-tile facade was raped by DHL and other huge billboards. :o Anyway Bake & Bite is okay, but VERY American. Like missionary families going there with their kids. Younger dudes with baseball caps.. Kind of strange to see such a massive onslaught of normal people in Chiang Mai these days. :D :D

I agree that the food at Ming Muang is VERY good, with taste-bud-bending twists on old favorites. But I wish they would not push the dessert tray quite so hard...Mr Fruittbatt succumbs every time...and me on a diet...

Had a laugh about your description of the proselytisers (reverend brethren) at B & B. Went there for brunch today and there was one lady missionary wearing a t-shirt with a verse from "Corinthians" printed in Thai...grrrr. I like Gai, the owner of B&B, and her partner, and the comforting smell of freshly baked bread and cakes. There is an extensive falang menu. The small Thai menu is good and the food spicy. The staff are friendly, too.

> But I wish they would not push the dessert tray quite so hard.

Hahahahaha right, she did that to us too.. But... have to say it's definitely among the better pastry offerings in Chiang Mai. :o Owner said she gets it from some Thai Airways outlet? Or just near Thai Airways (on Prapokklao Rd?)

Speaking of pastry, what are the days/times again when the Oriental Dhara Thevi has their reduced rate sale?

When talking of "khao soi" don't forget one of the originals "Just Khao Soi" just south of White Lotus on Charoenprathet Road.

One of the originals? Hardly, more like the newest khao soi place in town, and oriented mainly towards farang, with coconut milk served on the side (most Thais find that practice borderline disgusting!).

> But I wish they would not push the dessert tray quite so hard.

Hahahahaha right, she did that to us too.. But... have to say it's definitely among the better pastry offerings in Chiang Mai. :o Owner said she gets it from some Thai Airways outlet? Or just near Thai Airways (on Prapokklao Rd?)

Speaking of pastry, what are the days/times again when the Oriental Dhara Thevi has their reduced rate sale?

"Owner said she gets it from some Thai Airways outlet" Puff and Pie and it's not at all bad either.

Edited by john b good

with coconut milk served on the side

Oh, Gross!

Have to nominate my husband for best Khao Soy in town, makes his own curry paste too!

Yum Yum!

Unfortunately doesn't have much time to make it often. :D

Sally,

I think our husbands have very similar tastes.

When I told mine about all the new kao sawy options in CM, he wanted to organize relay teams of tasters. His idea was to sample several new options every week and for each team to pick their favorite. Then of course there would have to be "elimination heats " until a clear winner emerged.

Sounds like a great excuse for much sampling but disastrous for cholestrol levels...

So when is your husband going to open his kao sawy restaurant? ...I believe you have your first customer leeeooowww :o

And about Just Khao Sawy, we tried it once....'nuff said.

Edited by fruittbatt

When talking of "khao soi" don't forget one of the originals "Just Khao Soi" just south of White Lotus on Charoenprathet Road.

One of the originals? Hardly, more like the newest khao soi place in town, and oriented mainly towards farang, with coconut milk served on the side (most Thais find that practice borderline disgusting!).

I've never tried that place as it seemed tourist oriented, but I don't understand the coconut milk comment. Real Khao Soy doesn't have coconut milk in it. Many Thais add coconut milk/sugar to many dishes however to mask inferior ingredients, and because they've got a sweet tooth. You could put coconut milk on wood chips and make it palatable.

> One of the originals? Hardly, more like the newest khao soi

> place in town, and oriented mainly towards farang

Exactly... Skyhigh prices, aimed at luring in the tourist.. Never really felt like trying it.

I got a freebie once so I have tried it. The concept is not completely insane, they offer you the opportunity to order and make your khao soi according to your personal taste.

But it lacks an edge, and does not have the humble/semi-gritty charm of the khao soi places more popular with locals. So the overall experience just does not merit the price.

Just out of curiosity as I hope to be visiting in town again this summer, are there still any of the Jook (congee) shops still open in the AM? Always found them to be one of the best AM breakfast stops when not stopping to meet old friends (many of whom have now passed away) at the Stube.

> Just out of curiosity as I hope to be visiting in town again this summer,

> are there still any of the Jook (congee) shops still open in the AM?

Of course.. The long running one on the moat around Sri Phoom corner, well before ChanG Phuak gate, comes to mind, but there's many.

My vote goes to the shop on the Hang Dong road, in between Tesco and the Middle Ring.. Ask for the 'Everything' Jok. :o It features crispy pork, 1000-year eggs, and loads more. (Not very late night though, I think they run out of food somewhere in the evening)