Laptop versus tablet

Asiantravel

I am a Mac user. I started with a Macbook Air in 2011. I then bought a Macbook Pro 15" in 2012 because i needed a bigger screen for office work. I kept my Macbook Air which was perfectly synchronized with the Pro. The Pro was basically based in my office and the Air was used for travel (I travel a lot). When Ipad started to become popular, I also bought one thinking it would replace my Macbook Air. I gave my Macbook Air to my wife who was looking for a very light laptop. She doesn't use much computer but she needed one for her work as her ipad can't do everything that a computer do (saving file, modify file, emails attachments...). But she did not enjoy the Macbook Air because she didn't feel comfortable with Mac laptop. Also she plays games a lot and complained that there was not much games available for Mac.

For me, as i couldn't find a real utility of the Ipad, I sold it. I was looking for replacement and thought that I would simply buy a new Macbook Air as i really love this machine. So easy to carry, it's a real laptop...well i love it. I was waiting a new model of Macbook Air to be release and then they announce the "New Macbook" instead. Even lighter than the Air! But when I saw it in a shop, big disapointment! I found it to expensive for low specs. So i did not buy it. Instead, I discovered the Microsoft Surface Pro 3 which I found amazing. Perfect match for a mix laptop / tablet. Powerfull, with windows 8.1 or 10, with usb... it's a real laptop but convertible to a tablet so easily. Well perfect for my use. I bought it. After few weeks, as my wife had to travel with me, but didn't want to take the Macbook Air with her, i told her no problem, I will let you use my surface pro as I will be using my Macbool Pro. Since, she never return it back to me as she love it! She can work with it and install all the games that she like and it is so small that she can carry it anywhere.

For me, it's fine. I love the surface pro which there is nothing wrong with it. However, the Macbook Air is still my favorite machine.

Not sure I could or would ever want to decide between the two.

I use the MBP most of the time while in my room. It's probably over kill for my needs, but for the few extra $$ it seemed worth it over the Air as lightweight portability was not important. I don't take it when traveling.

I take my iPad mini w/cell plan every where I go. Its small enough to fit many places and has been sat on, bent and dropped and keeps going. I use Siri and rarely ever type on it unless short and private things need to be written.

Use many of the apps when out and no need to carry other things.
I would/will get another one.

To decide between the two... mai dai.

I have a large Samsung tablet that functions as a Kitchen/Bathroom TV (thanks to these extremely useful little gadgets: Link

Company Laptop which is locked down.

Dell 11" tablet with docking keyboard/battery which is my travelling laptop.

And an LGV700 for watching movies on planes - amazing battery life.

No need for any electronics for the foreseeable future.

There are full windows tablets. The smallest ones (7") are hard to use, because on the desktop it's hard to hit the right place in menus. A bluetooth mouse improves on that, since even with a stylus it's hit or miss.

A good bluetooth keyboard works great. I have one made for iPad. No problems.

Check for sure that it will charge while using the tablet. Some won't charge unless it's turned off. More than one USB-port is a good thing.

Lots of small niggles with small windows tablets. They'll do almost everything a laptop will do, but it may take some trouble shooting.

I must admit I like a proper keyboard for typing, but I also like the benefit of a touchscreen for browsing and watching movies, plus a long battery life.

So I have a Dell Tablet with keyboard docking station that adds the extra battery life.

It is a simple process to enable/disable tablet mode in Win 10.

how much was your Dell tablet?

I'm not really worried about a proper keyboard because I hardly ever type anymore. 95% of the time I just dictate into my microphone and Dragon NaturallySpeaking version 13 is 98% accuratesmile.png if I couldn't do that on a tablet I wouldn't bother to switch over at all.

A couple of hundred dollars but it was a refurb.

But often refurbs are just returns from people that have suddenly decided they hate Windows 8.1 so nothing wrong with them.

It works fine and is running the very latest Windows 10 (14257) and Office 2016.

I can't be ar$ed with voice recognition, my typing is 100% accurate.

Where did you find refurbished, within Thailand. Lazada ( which I have had excellent

service from) doesn't quote/list the Surface, which would be my first choice. Craigslist - not sure about honesty of who I might be buying from. With Lazada, no problems if you're not satisfied with your purchase. Thanks in advance!

I am a Mac user. I started with a Macbook Air in 2011. I then bought a Macbook Pro 15" in 2012 because i needed a bigger screen for office work. I kept my Macbook Air which was perfectly synchronized with the Pro. The Pro was basically based in my office and the Air was used for travel (I travel a lot). When Ipad started to become popular, I also bought one thinking it would replace my Macbook Air. I gave my Macbook Air to my wife who was looking for a very light laptop. She doesn't use much computer but she needed one for her work as her ipad can't do everything that a computer do (saving file, modify file, emails attachments...). But she did not enjoy the Macbook Air because she didn't feel comfortable with Mac laptop. Also she plays games a lot and complained that there was not much games available for Mac.

For me, as i couldn't find a real utility of the Ipad, I sold it. I was looking for replacement and thought that I would simply buy a new Macbook Air as i really love this machine. So easy to carry, it's a real laptop...well i love it. I was waiting a new model of Macbook Air to be release and then they announce the "New Macbook" instead. Even lighter than the Air! But when I saw it in a shop, big disapointment! I found it to expensive for low specs. So i did not buy it. Instead, I discovered the Microsoft Surface Pro 3 which I found amazing. Perfect match for a mix laptop / tablet. Powerfull, with windows 8.1 or 10, with usb... it's a real laptop but convertible to a tablet so easily. Well perfect for my use. I bought it. After few weeks, as my wife had to travel with me, but didn't want to take the Macbook Air with her, i told her no problem, I will let you use my surface pro as I will be using my Macbool Pro. Since, she never return it back to me as she love it! She can work with it and install all the games that she like and it is so small that she can carry it anywhere.

For me, it's fine. I love the surface pro which there is nothing wrong with it. However, the Macbook Air is still my favorite machine.

Will your Surface link to the Internet, via your cell phone, assuming you have roaming? "Link" is the wrong word - I think I mean 'thether". Tks.

Will your Surface link to the Internet, via your cell phone, assuming you have roaming? "Link" is the wrong word - I think I mean 'thether". Tks.
Yes, i am using the thethering very often especially in airports, either in Thailand or abroad (using of course local simcard). But my phones are not iphones. I am using Android (Samsung Note 4 and 5). It work perfectly with the Surface

I must admit I like a proper keyboard for typing, but I also like the benefit of a touchscreen for browsing and watching movies, plus a long battery life.

So I have a Dell Tablet with keyboard docking station that adds the extra battery life.

I'm not really worried about a proper keyboard because I hardly ever type anymore. 95% of the time I just dictate into my microphone and Dragon NaturallySpeaking version 13 is 98% accuratesmile.png if I couldn't do that on a tablet I wouldn't bother to switch over at all.

But often refurbs are just returns from people that have suddenly decided they hate Windows 8.1 so nothing wrong with them.

It works fine and is running the very latest Windows 10 (14257) and Office 2016.

Where did you find refurbished, within Thailand. Lazada ( which I have had excellent

service from) doesn't quote/list the Surface, which would be my first choice. Craigslist - not sure about honesty of who I might be buying from. With Lazada, no problems if you're not satisfied with your purchase. Thanks in advance!

I didn't get it in Thailand, sorry. Amazon.

The MS website lists/listed a few stockists - I believe Banana IT are one of them.

• 2 weeks later...

I would look at a tablet with a detachable keyboard, those Microsoft Surface ones are neat, but pricey.

Asus offer some good ones.

No problem plugging a microphone and headphones but tablets use a single socket for both.

Tablets are so much easier to travel with!

I bought an Asus TF700T, with the keyboard dock, a few years ago and never really liked it much. It got progressively slower and more & more prone to crashing & rebooting. Just recently it's got itself into trying to do some kind of system update that won't progress, and I can't even perform a factory reset. Not worh the $$ to get fixed. And Android devices have a relatively limited update life to begin with. Will be spending the money on a lightweight laptop next time around.

Cant believe you never checked out the iPad pro.....

Cant believe you never checked out the iPad pro.....

No, I never really checked for the Ipad Pro neither the latest Ipad model (air or whatever). The one I had was the first or second generation.

The problem i found with the tablets (Apple or Android) is that it's good enough to read, surfing internet or even play games. But it does not have the function of a laptop (either Mac or Windows). What I mean by that is for example I am working with a lot of files, especially Excel files. All of my files are stored on my Dropbox folder which is automatically synchronized. So let say that i am updating one excel file on my Macbook Pro while in the office, then I am on the move, let say at the airport later using my Macbook Air or Surface Pro, I have the same files in the dropbox folder with latest update. If i need to work on the file, I just open it, work on it and save it and it will be sync and updated also in my Macbook Pro. Also the Air or Surface Pro have the same software installed so it's quite easy to swap from my main laptop Macbook Pro to a smaller one.

Another point also for me is that a Macbook Air or Windows Surface Pro have more connecting points such USB port which tablets don't have.

I might be wrong because honestly i did not really checked about the latest tablets such as the Ipad Pro and they might had such improvements now. But basically, if they release a new Ipad with an OSX instead of iOS, such as Windows has done with the Surface Pro, I will then be much interested about tablets.

I mention about Macbook Air and Surface Pro because that's the machine i have gone for but I know they are not the cheapest ones as there are probably similar products from others brands (maybe Asus, Acer...).

Fair enough, though now all apple products are linked, I'm fairy sure but I don't know as I don't use my gear the way you do that Apple has programs that would do what you want, make a note in my phone and it appears on my iPad and Mac.

I went tablet shopping today. Choice is basically between Samsung & Apple where I live (no, not Nakhon Nowhere but the centre of Chiang Mai). I ended up getting the 10" Samsung Tab S2. Not much difference in screen quality or internal specs but the Samsung felt more premium. I also have an S6 phone so it makes sense there too.

They're not cheap 18900B from Samsung but can be bought for 16900 on Lazada. I did also consider the HTC Nexus 9 but no chance of getting my hands on one.

I used to have a Galaxy 7 Tab. It was rubbish. The screen was so bad I used to prefer my 5" Windows Phone and it was too underpowered to do anything properly. Thankfully this new tablet has none of those issues.

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk