650cc tuk tuk

dazzz

Recently i purchased a tuk tuk with a 650cc 3 cylinder daihatsu engine . I am quite pleased with it but the gearbox ratio seems awful low? 1st gear is a waste of time . Cannot go more than 5 metres so i start in 2nd gear no problem but still have to change into 3rd in about 15 metres ?
Has 4 gears and when i am in fourth it will run ok from 25kph to 80kph but the revs are very high . At 65 kph the revs are about 5,500 and at 75 the revs are 8,000 . The amount of fuel is more than my car . Get about 14kms per litre . Feels like i am running in 3rd gear all the time . Should really have a 5th gear .
Anyone had one of these and is this the norm ? In my car at 100kph the revs are about 2,500. I am worried with these high revs the engine will not last long .
cheers for any info
dazzz

is it chain drive or shaft drive ?

if chain simply change the cog size appropriately and you will get a higher speed for the same rev's.

if its shaft drive .......no bloody idea.

rob

No its a shaft drive. I would have thought it would have the gearbox that came with the engine but obviously not . Not sure what the gearbox is but with such a low ratio must have been something heavy and slow . It has reverse gear . I was just wondering if there was some way to change the ratio without changing the gearbox .

This is in udon thani . It is no made to a good standard . The exhaust has no baffles in it same as a motorcycle tuk tuk . I suppose i will just have to live with it but using more petrol than my car seems a bit off .

dazzz

Get about 14kms per litre .

That's average according to the website. Maybe you can get a different gearbox to put in.

http://www.thailandtuktuk.net/thailand-tuktuk-engine.htm

Cheers for this link .Seems it is correct . Wish i had seen it before i bought it . I use to have 150cc chain drive but was slow and noisy but used very little fuel. This one at 65kph is just as noisy .Should have bought the new shaft drive 200cc but is quieter than the ch

dazzzain drive

Hi Dazzz.....change the drive wheels to a bigger size...Maybe it originally had bigger drive wheels on it and the ones on it are smaller, and all that was available to get rid of it....You should be using 20inch by the sounds of it. Check the size of whats on there now.

Ive got 4 wheels you can have if you want (free)....

The gearing is probably set up for city driving. Bigger diameter rear wheels would help but probably not enough. They will also reduce brake torque.

Best way to fix would be a new taller ratio drive axle or taller ratio Crown wheel and pinion for the existing diff (if the parts exist).

Alternatively drive slower and keep the revs and noise at a reasonable level.

Have you tried driving in reverse?clap2.gif

Don`t need reverse just drive the wrong way same as everybody else smile.png

It has 12" wheels so i am not sure if getting bigger ones will be better , i have no idea .

i bought this new in udon thani 94,000 baht . Had the seat raised and so it can slide back as even though i am only 5ft 7" it was to small for me (and most thais) but then could not reach the handlebars so had them raised then had to raise the roof as i could not see the traffic lights .

Been talking to a lot of tuk tuk drivers who all say they are to small and not comfortable ??!

This is very comfortable now and is nice to drive except the very high revs make it noisy and the radiator fan is very loud and comes on with the ignition and is not thermostat controlled

post-220488-0-45523000-1455699783_thumb.