International Drivers License vs Thai Drivers License

ftpjtm

I am here for 3 months on a ME Tourist Visa. I am in Chonburi, along with my Thai/American wife. Both of us have International Drivers Licenses issued in the US. We (she) owns a car in Thailand, which we both drive regularly. We also occasionally rent cars when we have visitors or she wants to go up country and I don't.

For the foreseeable future, we plan to spend approximately 3 months of each calendar year in Thailand, with the remainder of our time in the US. Getting an International Drivers License is incredibly easy and inexpensive in the US, is valid in Thailand, and is valid for 12 months from the issue date.

So my question, is there any compelling reason to get a Thai Drivers License rather than using an International Drivers License?

We will absolutely continue to make the US our primary place of residence. We will absolutely continue to keep our US Drivers Licenses current. I have no plans to use anything other than a ME Tourist Visa in any of the next few years, although my wife enters LOS on her Thai Passport to save the ME Visa expense.

it seems to be far easier (10 minutes at out local AAA office) and cheaper (US$20) to get an International Drivers License in the US than a 1 year drivers license in Thailand, which is apparently that's all I'm eligible for (although I presume the wife can get a 5 year).

Is there any advantage in my getting a Thai drivers license? I see plenty of disadvantages, including spending several days and several thousand Baht traveling between Chonburi and Bangkok to get the required documents.

Edited by ftpjtm

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Thai license is cheaper than $20. You only need to show your valid US license, passport, medical cert (approx 100 baht) and cert of residence.

Its fun to get, its a day out, then get a 5 yr licence next time :)

P.S standby for the licence vs permit debate, coming to a thread near you...

Edited by cornishcarlos

I can't remember the costs of a Thai licence i'm sure it's less than $20 - I'm sure someone will post that.

You will need to get 2 international PERMITS every time you come - they aren't licences; they are translations of your home licence according to an international treaty.

If you get a 1 year Thai licence the next year you should be able get a 5 year one.

Having Thai licence helps in a lot of interactions with the authorities...not just on the road - I use mine as ID in a lot of instances.

You may find that insurance looks more benignly on a Thai licence too.

If you are prepared to jump through hoops for the first year and the 5 year renewal, I'd say in the long term it is worth it.

Edited by cumgranosalum

On another thread it says;

1) I need a document from the US Embassy, which costs $50 in order to get a Thai License. and;

2) At least at the Chonburi DMV it has been reported that with an ME Tourist Visa, 5 year licenses are not available after expiration of a 1 year license. And all the documents are required for the follow on 1 year license.

So it seems to be a much bigger hassle and much more expensive to get a new Thai Drivers License each year vs an International Drivers Permit (yes, I checked and what I have is called a Permit, not a license).

Edited by ftpjtm

A Thai license is cheaper than $20. You only need to show your valid US license, passport, medical cert (approx 100 baht) and cert of residence.

Its fun to get, its a day out, then get a 5 yr licence next time smile.png

Permit Vomit more like.thumbsup.gif

On another thread it says;

1) I need a document from the US Embassy, which costs $50 in order to get a Thai License. and;

2) At least at the Chonburi DMV it has been reported that with an ME Tourist Visa, 5 year licenses are not available after expiration of a 1 year license. And all the documents are required for the follow on 1 year license.

So it seems to be a much bigger hassle and much more expensive to get a new Thai Drivers License each year vs an International Drivers Permit (yes, I checked and what I have is called a Permit, not a license).

It is a long time since I got my original Thai D/L so things may have changed - I certainly didn't need any docs from home embassy.....I have heard the thing about METV and 1 year only. however this would not apply to your wife (did she ever have a Thai D/L?) and you might just get a 3 month non-imm "O' visa instead?

Which office in Chonburi did you go to? - I get all my stuff done at Chonburi DoLT just outside Choburi....I wouldn't go near Pattaya

Edited by cumgranosalum

surely your wife should have a Thai drivers licence, she enters on her thai passport, but drives on a usa licence

i dont see why you get a metv, instead of a multi/single entry non imm 'o' visa, ( a single non 'o' would be cheaper than a metv) the Thai licence problems would then be solved.

a thai licence has other uses, for you

OK, browsing the "Requirements for Obtaining and Renewing a 1 Year Driving License" in the Pattaya Forum;

1) I need a Residency Certificate issued by the US Embassay in BKK, cost $50.

2) If I have a short term Visa, including ME Tourist or O, I can only get a 1 year licenses, and upon renewal can again only get a 1 year license.

3) Cost of the license is 500TB + 200TB for health cert + US$50 for residency cert + cost of translating documents. Not to mention the cost of traveling to BKK. Not to mention the frustration of doing all this.

And again, I can get the International Permit in 10 minutes, at a location 10 minutes from my home in the US, for $20.

So getting the Permit is far cheaper and exponentially more convenient.

I just want to know if there are any pitfalls in case of an accident or serious traffic violation.

OK, browsing the "Requirements for Obtaining and Renewing a 1 Year Driving License" in the Pattaya Forum;

2) If I have a short term Visa, including ME Tourist or O, I can only get a 1 year licenses, and upon renewal can again only get a 1 year license.

3) Cost of the license is 500TB + 200TB for health cert + US$50 for residency cert + cost of translating documents. Not to mention the cost of traveling to BKK. Not to mention the frustration of doing all this.

And again, I can get the International Permit in 10 minutes, at a location 10 minutes from my home in the US, for $20.

I just want to know if there are any pitfalls in case of an accident or serious traffic violation.

Already replied to you on the other thread. Don't see why you have to get a residency cert from your embassy or translate any docs and suggest you did not browse the aforementioned topic that well smile.png

I think (not 100% sure) the IDP is only theoretically valid for driving in Thailand for up to 90 days in one visit after which you should get a local licence but if you are only going to be here 90 days at a time then I don't think there are any major pitfalls.

As others have said it does come with other advantages and it is now for 2 years - and yes without a long term visa you will not be able to renew to 5 years but just get another 2 year one.

Already replied to you on the other thread. Don't see why you have to get a residency cert from your embassy or translate any docs and suggest you did not browse the aforementioned topic that well smile.png

I think (not 100% sure) the IDP is only theoretically valid for driving in Thailand for up to 90 days in one visit after which you should get a local licence but if you are only going to be here 90 days at a time then I don't think there are any major pitfalls.

As others have said it does come with other advantages and it is now for 2 years - and yes without a long term visa you will not be able to renew to 5 years but just get another 2 year one.

Ok, thanks. Seems that this is about as complete an answer I can get, as different people seem to have different experiences depending on the office and person they dealt with. As you can probably guess, I think the simplicity of doing it in the US far outweighs all else and I'll probably stick with that.

Don't understand the "residency" rom the US embassy - I showed my address in Thailand and I think Thai immigration certified that.

make sure any insurance is happy with an IDP

There are some posts saying that certain Immigration offices (such as Chiang Mai) used to supply Residency Certificates, but no longer do. Now one must get them from the US Embassy (for Americans). I'm assuming the same holds true of Jomtiem, as a post or two mentioned certificates only being available at the US Embassy on the Pattaya Forum.

And yes, I suppose I ought to check on the insurance with that provider.

Don't understand the "residency" rom the US embassy - I showed my address in Thailand and I think Thai immigration certified that.

There are some posts saying that certain Immigration offices (such as Chiang Mai) used to supply Residency Certificates, but no longer do. Now one must get them from the US Embassy (for Americans). I'm assuming the same holds true of Jomtiem, as a post or two mentioned certificates only being available at the US Embassy on the Pattaya Forum.

How can the US embassy be expected to say where you live in Thailand?

"residency" is a legal immigration status - I'm sure what they mean is proof of address.

How can the US embassy be expected to say where you live in Thailand?

"residency" is a legal immigration status - I'm sure what they mean is proof of address.

From the Pattaya Forum, RE documents required for Drivers Licenses application;

"affidavit of residency from embassy (1,550Bt from U.S. embassy)"

I don't know that it is correct, but it is what was posted.

I might add that last year my wife changed to her married name on her Thai ID, and the Thais would not accept a copy of our US Marriage Certificate of proof or Marriage, but instead insisted on a completely ridiculous "Affidavit" from the US Embassy, which essentially was me handwriting that I certify ourselves as married on a piece of paper which the Embassy Stamped. So I tend to believe such a thing may be required.

Edited by ftpjtm

I think you need to change offices......sounds like you are dealing with a jobsworth.

I would also check the address situation......

I never go near either Pattaya or Jomtien for that sort of stuff....

Although Sri Racha immigration have been a bit odd lately - the DoLT at Chonburi has always been pretty straightforward.

I think you need to change offices......sounds like you are dealing with a jobsworth.

I would also check the address situation......

I never go near either Pattaya or Jomtien for that sort of stuff....

Although Sri Racha immigration have been a bit odd lately - the DoLT at Chonburi has always been pretty straightforward.

Either that or just use my International Drivers Permit.

BTW, the quote I re-posted was on the Pattaya Forum, but was written by someone using the DMV in Bangkok.

Indeed this proof of residence is the sticking point regarding cost.

If Pattaya / Chonburi insist on that US embassy paper then it is costly.

As I don't know the local prartice there and have a different situation I can not comment.

I don't remember the exact number for the Thai DL but definitely below 500 Baht (incl. the 100 Baht for the med.cert.).

The temporary license is not a "1 year" license anymore.

Issued for 2 years since March 2015.

If your Thai wife also converts from a US license she will also only get a temporary.

Your wife will also get a temporary license at first (2 yr).

But after two years she can get a 5 yr license.

If you are on tourist visa you will probably not get a 5 yr.

All in all: for 3 months per year I would only advice a Thai DL for your wife (quite easy for her to get if she has a valid Thai ID card and the IDP).

Whether I would waste time and ridiculous money for the Embassy paper? I guess not.

Edited by KhunBENQ

From another web site....

"A foreigner applying for a Thai driving license must include with their documents a certificate showing their residence (from Thai Immigration or their Embassy).

NOTE: Although the main Land Transport Office (LTO)’s websites state the above as the permissible periods for renewal, we have received reports that some Provincial LTOs may limit it to a lesser time period consequently, we recommend you go as close to expiration date as possible to avoid difficulties; or have a Thai speaking person contact the Provincial LTO you will use to determine the time period they accept.

NOTE: Getting a certificate from your Embassy may be significantly more expensive than getting it from Thai Immigration. The Residence Certificate cannot be more than 30 days old when applying for the driving license. Some Immigration Offices may take more than one day to issue the Certificate. for information on getting the Certificate of Residence from Chonburi (Pattaya) Immigration which is usually obtained the same day as application fee is 300 Baht. "

Pattaya Expats club. Sept 2015

To download "Residency Certificate Form" Click Here

Edited by cumgranosalum

Cumgranosalum - Thanks for that. OK, it appears that maybe the certificate is available in Chonburi vs the Embassy, and at much lower cost. But it still requires a trip to the Immigration office, a trip to a Dr for the Health Certificate, and a trip to the DMV. At least a full days worth of appointments. All to achieve what I can get in 20 minutes for $20 in the US. In my mind, it just doesn't make sense to do that.

KhunBENQ - Yes, I agree that it probably does make sense for my wife to do it. She did previously have a Thai Drivers License, but it expired years ago, was issued in a different province, and I believe it has been lost. But I think its time for it to be renewed.

Can only go on my experience from March 2015.

I needed certificate of residence, medical certificate and all the usual photocopies that they insist on!

I went to Chonburi 1st next to the school and as I went through the doors there is a long desk to the left so I went there. Big mistake! Lady told me I needed to go to embassy in Bkk and get my UK licence authorised!! If I had turned right and gone upstairs, I was told I would have been able to take the test

As it happened, I went to Laem Chabang and was allowed to take the test there. The cost was 105baht for 2 year licence. It is a hassle so for the OP I would suggest just using the IDP as it is perfect for the length of time he and his wife are staying.

The good thing is that if the OP decides to opt for the Thai licence, he has his wife to help with any language barrier which I did not!

Cumgranosalum - Thanks for that. OK, it appears that maybe the certificate is available in Chonburi vs the Embassy, and at much lower cost. But it still requires a trip to the Immigration office, a trip to a Dr for the Health Certificate, and a trip to the DMV. At least a full days worth of appointments. All to achieve what I can get in 20 minutes for $20 in the US. In my mind, it just doesn't make sense to do that.

KhunBENQ - Yes, I agree that it probably does make sense for my wife to do it. She did previously have a Thai Drivers License, but it expired years ago, was issued in a different province, and I believe it has been lost. But I think its time for it to be renewed.

The thing is - if your wife is going to do it - as I hinted earlier - you might as well go for it too. Medical cert is a joke.....just talk to anyone around your area where you can get it. Will your wife need one?

Also I would never go anywhere near Pattaya for any officialdom unless I want to pay extras...as they say.

I use Chonburi DoLT, outside Chonburi town - nowhere near the Pattaya one by the Regent school. not sure if the Laem Chabang (Ao Udom) one is still there???

I applied as I said a long time ago, i'm on my 3rd 5yr licence, I showed a UK d/L and didn't need a test. I took eye tests etc last time watched a gory video.......

With any office you need to try and go on a quiet dat, at a quiet time.........

as has been said there are other "benefits" to having a Thai D/L. You tend to find any police are more easy to deal with (especially when a "fine" is mentioned), it can be used as ID in places instead of your passport. I used to use it to get into national parks cheap - unfortunately this year I was unable to go there over the holidays so was unable to test the new rumours that they no longer give discount on these...

many times I've shown it at hotels etc and they normally mention something like "Oh, you have Thai licence" - i think it shows that you are "committed to Thailand enough to use their own documentation.

You have to have proof of place of residence, an as you presumably are not listed in a tabian ban that will mean a certificate from either immigration or your Embassy if they issue it, not sure that the US does.

Your wife however will be listed in her family's tabian ban.

I am not sure that they will issue you a license on a tourist visa. I recently got a Thai driving license for the first time -- after driving here (and owning cars, purchasing insurance) for almost 20 years using an IDP. They asked to see my visa and definitely were concerned with both its type and approved duration of stay.

I finally got a Thai license mainly because I finally got a tabian ban, and also because it is a hassle for me to get the IDP in the US since I live permanently in Thailand. In your shoes, I would certainly keep using IDPs. For your wife, since visa type is not an issue and she'll be in a tabian ban, it's a little different and might be worth getting a Thai license. Also if stopped by police for any reason they might raise an eyebrow at a Thai driving without a Thai license.

Not sure why you mention a International Driving Permit, it is not a Licence. You can drive in Thailand for up to three months on your US Licence, the Permit is just a translation of that. If you are here for only 3 months a year why do you need a Thai licence?

Its fun to get, its a day out, then get a 5 yr licence next time :)

You can not get a 5 year license on a tourist visa. I am in the process today. This will be my 6th year with the 1 year license. Today I got a copy of my lease (my landlord said they want some other paper that is all in Thai vs the lease that I have brought the last 5 years. I got my doctor certificate for 100 baht. I got sick so I will just do the rest of the process tomorrow which is go to Jomtien Immigration for a residence certificate (200 baht) then in the afternoon going to the Chonburi Land Transport office to get my new licenses (200 baht each for motorbike and car) and tag. For the license you also have to copy the front and back of the license from your country, your passport, and your visa slip. (I don't know where this embassy business is coming from that people are saying. Even for my friends who are retired here, they only go to the embassy in BKK once a year for the income verification part of their visa.) I also bought motorbike accident insurance today at Kasikorn Bank for the first time. It was 2500 baht.

From what I have seen at police stops they usually let me go through quickly once they see my license and registration. For people I have seen with an international license, it usually looks like the police are trying to figure something out. I am always gone before they finish with that person though.

Edited by AdamRich

You have to have proof of place of residence, an as you presumably are not listed in a tabian ban that will mean a certificate from either immigration or your Embassy if they issue it, not sure that the US does.

I am not sure that they will issue you a license on a tourist visa. I recently got a Thai driving license for the first time -- after driving here (and owning cars, purchasing insurance) for almost 20 years using an IDP. They asked to see my visa and definitely were concerned with both its type and approved duration of stay.

I finally got a Thai license mainly because I finally got a tabian ban, and also because it is a hassle for me to get the IDP in the US since I live permanently in Thailand. In your shoes, I would certainly keep using IDPs. For your wife, since visa type is not an issue and she'll be in a tabian ban, it's a little different and might be worth getting a Thai license. Also if stopped by police for any reason they might raise an eyebrow at a Thai driving without a Thai license.

Tourist visa and even visa exempt entry are fine for a temporary (these days 2 years) DL.

I think anyone driving for more than 6 (or is it 3 months) HAS to get a Thai licence - sounds like you have been very naughty.

I think anyone driving for more than 6 (or is it 3 months) HAS to get a Thai licence - sounds like you have been very naughty.

Yes, it is 3.

My feeling is that if you are staying here regularly over the next few years, it would seem logical to get a Thai licence, you never know if you might want to stay more than 3 months. Once you have the 2 year you can forget about the IDP and then get a 5 year on an "O" or "B" visa......... and then forget about it.

Its fun to get, its a day out, then get a 5 yr licence next time smile.png

This is not correct at the Prakhonchai office. They insisted on an International licence as a first step. The other things mentioned I had in order. Maybe US citizens are treated differently, but I assume that it is the norm for Thailand where each office seems to have their own rules