Driving, Chiang Mai To New Bangkok Airport

farangkevin

I will be driving to the new airport, my departure is 21.00hrs, next monday evening.

Advice greatly appriciated.......

How long should I allow for the start to finish trip (I estimate 10 hours with short breaks)?

Is the new airport well-signposted from my approach towards Bangkok from the north?

Thanks!

It usually takes me about 8 hours with 15 minute breaks every 2-3 hours and doing 120kph+ where I can. Allocate another 2 hours to the airport (variable depending on arrival time to Bangkok) + 2 hours as a safety buffer = 12 hours to be safe. So 9:00AM departure from Chiangmai. Safer to be early then to be late. :o

Roads construction from Nakorn Sawan and all the way to Ayutthaya might hold down your driving time, cause that stretch of Asia highway one are having road expansion now, therefore spare some extra time to reach your destination.

Airport route signs are posted once you pass Ayutthaya province, the best route to reach Suwanabumi airport is outer ring road - Bang Na route. Good Luck.

Yes, my thoughts as well. A bit past Ayudthaya you get to the Outer Ring. Big highway signs there. That's where you'd take a left.

I guess that's the fastest when driving to places like Pattaya, Samet as well.

The following probably doesn't apply to you, but for people who can take it easy and want to stop somewhere along the way: Kamphaeng Phet town is a pretty well kept secret, AND it's almost exactly half way.

Why are you driving, by the way? It's more expensive than taking a budget flight, even with 2-3 people when factoring everything in? And then there's parking charges, etc. ? Or is it that you'd like a car there when returning to BKK and then tour around?

Cheers,

Chanchao

Why are you driving, by the way? It's more expensive than taking a budget flight, even with 2-3 people when factoring everything in? And then there's parking charges, etc. ? Or is it that you'd like a car there when returning to BKK and then tour around?

Cheers,

Chanchao

Second that, can easy go pull out a flight from your local travel agent

Ash :o

And you have to factor in more than fuel.. Suppose fuel is 25 baht / liter (I know it gets cheaper the closer you get to BKK :o and suppose it's 700 kms. If you keep the pace up then say you're doing 10 kilometers per liter. (Adjust as necessary). Then on fuel alone you spend (700 / 10) * 25 = 1750 baht.

Then you add the 700 km you're closer to the next small maintenance service, wear on brakes, tyres.. The odd mishap (something smashing a little star in the windscreen like happened to me last time when driving to BKK) and factor in 'risk' of a major mishap (at least 1 close-ish call every time I drive that distance).

At least after getting there you're so tired that sleeping on the plane isn't a problem anymore... However... when returning to Bangkok after a long flight and then getting behind the wheel jet-lagged and tired and all.. That sounds a lot iffy-er to me.

• 2 years later...

Just looked on Google maps, they have 3 possible routes to go from CM to BKK, via router 1, router 11 and route 304. It says route 1 is the fastest and shortest distance, but my experience with google maps has been for thailand it's not always the most accurate.

Can anyone confirm the route 1 is the best route to take?

i would normally use 11-1-35-then the route around the ring road as previously suggested (note 9 is toll 2 tolls of 30 baht)

the road for 100km north and south of tak is diabolical, a shocking road surface wirth the result that everyone drives where they find a good bit and avoiding big holes is the name of the game. have a look at google maps to see the little by passes etc around nakorn sawan

yeah its only a 1600B flight via nokair....

I thought Nok air landed at Don Muang? if so becareful as you still need to cross BKK to get to the new airport, Take Air Asia.

Bangkok Airways is the best bet.

And the most expensive !

Flew with them last week for 990Baht. The key is book early.

road from tak to kampheng phet is a horror at the moment. you can do the bypass around nakorn sawan but that would not help u avoid those bit potholes. northbound, Tak to Thoen is also a nightmare.

rest is alright. right after ayuthhaya, keep left on frontage road when you see the sign for Kanchapisek Road East West.

Take Kanchanapisek East and head towards Bangna. You would see signs for Suvarnabhumi Airport. Bangna is way south of that. If you miss the first and main turning for Kanchanapisek at Highway 1, there is another one at Rangsit. You would have to drive through a street of which you would pass the famous Wat DHamakaaya to your left. That road is about 8 km's long and leads you to HIghway 9. Kanchanapisek. There would be a little U-Turn after the Highway 9 which you would go under and for you to head Kanchanapisek East (highway 9).