How to block facebook?

nabbie

Hi, the reason I am interested to block the facebook website is create time management for my children.

I can't seem to block several IPs & list of facebook urls using hosts file via windows 7 64 bits.

Also strange to see FB without IP addresses in DOS Ping command.

I am hoping any of you might know how to tackle that situation.

Always appreciate the response.

post-200691-0-42186800-1455789608_thumb.

Yep, a Hosts file entry will do it.

I see an IP for it.

>ping www.facebook.com
>Pinging star-mini.c10r.facebook.com [31.13.79.220] with 32 bytes of data:
Try "nslookup www.facebook.com"
Edited by Chicog

Yep, a Hosts file entry will do it.

I see an IP for it.

>ping www.facebook.com
>Pinging star-mini.c10r.facebook.com [31.13.79.220] with 32 bytes of data:
Try "nslookup www.facebook.com"

Still not working facepalm.gif ... see what I have enlisted as below..... .

127.0.0.1 localhost

::1 localhost

127.0.0.1 facebook.com

127.0.0.1 www.facebook.com

127.0.0.1 login.facebook.com

127.0.0.1 www.login.facebook.com

127.0.0.1 fbcdn.net

127.0.0.1 www.fbcdn.net

127.0.0.1 fbcdn.com

127.0.0.1 www.fbcdn.com

127.0.0.1 static.ak.fbcdn.net

127.0.0.1 static.ak.connect.facebook.com

127.0.0.1 connect.facebook.net

127.0.0.1 www.connect.facebook.net

127.0.0.1 apps.facebook.com

127.0.0.1 star-mini.c10r.facebook.com

127.0.0.1 nslookup www.facebook.com

# Block Facebook IPv6

#fe80::1%lo0 localhost

::1 facebook.com

::1 www.facebook.com

::1 login.facebook.com

::1 www.login.facebook.com

::1 fbcdn.net

::1 www.fbcdn.net

::1 fbcdn.com

::1 www.fbcdn.com

::1 static.ak.fbcdn.net

::1 static.ak.connect.facebook.com

::1 connect.facebook.net

::1 www.connect.facebook.net

::1 apps.facebook.com

::1 edge-star6-shv-02-ams2.facebook.com

::1 star-mini.c10r.facebook.com

::1 nslookup www.facebook.com

The Hosts file works alright for others but not facebook. Any alternative methods apart from any additional software (an easy risk with spam, common malware, etc)? It looks as though Facebook is now becoming non-blockable. sad.png

Delete the facebook accounts, then delete any traces of it from cookies, cached and history. Delete all precious emails from facebook. Do a search in programs and files, delete everything that relates to facebook. If you have a facebook account or your children have facebbok accounts and it`s too painful to delete them, then I`m afraid you`re stuck with it.

Edited by cyberfarang

When you ping Facebook in the cmd window you're getting back it's IP address of ::1. I presume this is the IPv6 equivalent of 127.0.0.1 and you will see is listed in your big hosts file. So according to the ping all is good.

I don't think Chicog was suggesting adding 'nslookup www.facebook.com' to the hosts file, so you can remove those lines, he was suggesting you typed that command into cmd.

Anyways, ping says hosts is OK, what happens when you try to go to Facebook from your web browser?

Delete the facebook accounts, then delete any traces of it from cookies, cached and history. Delete all precious emails from facebook. Do a search in programs and files, delete everything that relates to facebook. If you have a facebook account or your children have facebbok accounts and it`s too painful to delete them, then I`m afraid you`re stuck with it.

A kid will setup a new FB account in minutes (that's assuming they don't have one for the parents to monitor and another one they don't know about).

When you ping Facebook in the cmd window you're getting back it's IP address of ::1. I presume this is the IPv6 equivalent of 127.0.0.1 and you will see is listed in your big hosts file. So according to the ping all is good.

I don't think Chicog was suggesting adding 'nslookup www.facebook.com' to the hosts file, so you can remove those lines, he was suggesting you typed that command into cmd.

Anyways, ping says hosts is OK, what happens when you try to go to Facebook from your web browser?

Oh yes, I was suggesting you use the NSLookup command to get the IP address(es) of Facebook.

A kid will setup a new FB account in minutes (that's assuming they don't have one for the parents to monitor and another one they don't know about).

It depends on how much the parents spoil their kids and how afraid they are of upsetting their darling little cherubs.

If the brats are going to be let loose on the computers anyway because mummy and daddy are not taken seriously when they say no, then it`s all a waste of time as the kids will get their own ways every time.

It depends on how much the parents spoil their kids and how afraid they are of upsetting their darling little cherubs.

If the brats are going to be let loose on the computers anyway because mummy and daddy are not taken seriously when they say no, then it`s all a waste of time as the kids will get their own ways every time.

That is the reason I got everyone's attention. Not only parents are not taking seriously but facebook is also NOT taking seriously how much children's normal daily routine are already affected & distracted. Whose reponsibility? Parents or Facebook? I don't care if you think I am old fashioned or a narrow minded but I can sense the sake of kids' quality of life....

That is the reason I got everyone's attention. Not only parents are not taking seriously but facebook is also NOT taking seriously how much children's normal daily routine are already affected & distracted. Whose reponsibility? Parents or Facebook? I don't care if you think I am old fashioned or a narrow minded but I can sense the sake of kids' quality of life....

Years ago kids communicated ie. wrote letters, drew pictures and sent polaroids. Then the phone came along and we spent hours on it. Now Facebook is here and kids spend hours on it. You guys are silly. This Is called evolution of society. Get with it or be stuck in the past....

I don`t think you are narrow minded or old fashioned, your concerns are perfectly logical and I only wish that all parents thought like you.

Here is the problem. Back in my day things were much, much different, as kids we were content with colouring books, playing football at the parks with our mates and going to the Saturday morning cinema show with my class mates was as exciting as going to the moon for us. But times have changed and the problems are that kids feel obligated into keeping up with the present trends in fear of being excluding as friends by the other kids and missing out on something. I think this has always been the same with kids. A particular type and brand of fashion shoes become popular then all the kids must have a pair. It`s down to clever marketing by the big companies and facebook is no exception.

But you can make a compromise. If your children are under 16 years of age, let them have their own facebook accounts without blocking them. Insist that you want their user names and passwords and that at the end of each day you will personally check their activities on there to make sure there is no hankey pankey going on, weird stalkers and they are safe. Give them a strict time limit for facebook activities, say 90 minutes or 2 hours a day. Don`t except any excuses, they either play by your rules or they don`t play at all. So there you go, some logical solutions from me. But if you are soft and the kids always manage to dominate and overpower you when they want their own way, then it`s a hopeless case.

Most router have parental controls which allow you to turn off the Wifi automatically at night.

And frankly if you have children you should be monitoring their surfing and warning them of the dangers of the web.

Yep, that is my very last resort.....with thanks to facebook for being the most aggressive ego... Perhaps due to money typically...bah.gif

Edited by nabbie