Major Police Activity at Zoe Area Tonight

PostmanPat

Here in Pattaya, if they want to see your passport and you can't produce it within 24 hours, you can be sent to the remand prison in Bangkok. It happens. But only if you can't produce your original if asked.

That cannot be true .

If you are caught without your passport, you are arrested and prosecuted .

Simply not having your passport on you at all times is an arrest able offence and you will have to attend Court for your offence

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

le can and do get arrested for not carrying passports. Thus, carrying your passport is probably the only way to 100% guarantee this not happening to you. It doesn't matter what someone in Bangkok says - it matters what happens on the ground. Nocturnal raids on bars have being going on in Thailand for years, as have the arrests for not having a passport and indeed the "pee in a cup" nonsense. I'd suggest that anyone resisting arrest and waving that newspaper article as a cutting is likely to find out just how hard a Thai copper's baton (oo er missus) is when it's battered over their head.

We now seem to be in the same dilemma about having to carry passports. It seems in both CM and Pattaya people were taken away for not carrying passports. After the debacle in BKK last time which ended with a senior police officer saying you did not need to carry passport on your person, it seems these actions are again contradicting this. Maybe someone at one of the embassies would like to get into action and extract some definitive information from the relevant authority.

Stop spreading false information .

People do not get arrested for not carrying their passport around and no one has ever been hit by a police batton for not having their passport on them .

If the Police want to see your passport, they will accompany you back to your room for you to show it to them, you will only be arrested if you cannot or will not show them your passport.

Only you can say why you keep spreading your false scare mongering

You can believe what you want to believe. I know several people who have done a night in the cells in Bangkok for not having a passport on them. The UK government says; "carry your passport."

You should stop spreading false information. A newspaper cutting may make you feel self-righteously accurate but reality contradicts that article and if in doubt - sane people go with reality. Now stop trolling.

I have seen individuals arrested not just by the BIB'S but by the army and given free accommodations. One spent 7 days in one of theses resort until his gf was able to locate his pp. Up to you.

What was his punishment after he went to court after being arrested for not having his passport on him ?

For the tl:dr brigade... you have two choices - carry or don't carry your passport.

If you choose the latter option; you may be "detained" (which will feel like being arrested) until such a point as someone else produces your passport for you. If you are single and either a tourist or new to town - this may take quite a long time to achieve. Even if you have chums in town; it may take a while to achieve because no offence to my friends - I'm not getting up at 2 a.m. to go to the cop shop because they spent the night in Zoe in Yellow...

Thus you either have to carry your passport or be prepared to surrender a chunk of your life to having "an experience" in a Thai jail cell. As TiT; "It's up to you."

Edited by TheSiemReaper

Here in Pattaya, if they want to see your passport and you can't produce it within 24 hours, you can be sent to the remand prison in Bangkok. It happens. But only if you can't produce your original if asked.

So, you wont get arrested and prosecuted simply for not carrying your passport around with you at all times ?

For the tl:dr brigade... you have two choices - carry or don't carry your passport.

If you choose the latter option; you may be "detained" (which will feel like being arrested) until such a point as someone else produces your passport for you.

You must understand that simply being detained and actually being arrested are two very different situations .

Once you have been arrested, your crime is logged and you have to attend a Court hearing for your crime .

Simply being detained means you just have to show your passport and you are free to go and you wont have to attend Court .

Everyone in Thailand is required to show I.D upon demand, even Thai people .

The question is : Do you get prosecuted simply for not carrying your passport around at all times ?

This isnt about whether you get held until you produce, its about whether you get prosecuted or not

I believe the correct wording is that you're "detained" by the police until someone can bring your passport to them.

I wonder if you show them your Thai drivers license which contains your passport number, can't they look up your passport number in the national computer system and check out your immigration status there?

Come come now Nancy.....that is logical, and this is Thailand!

Its only in Chiang Mai. Stoopid way to promote Thailand. Idiots!

It was in Phuket and Conburi last night too. Fortunately they did get a few criminals in Phuket.

When they close any bars in Phuket or Patts at 12.. then you can make that case..

Until then, the north IS getting specific and special treatment.

We now seem to be in the same dilemma about having to carry passports. It seems in both CM and Pattaya people were taken away for not carrying passports. After the debacle in BKK last time which ended with a senior police officer saying you did not need to carry passport on your person, it seems these actions are again contradicting this. Maybe someone at one of the embassies would like to get into action and extract some definitive information from the relevant authority.

Definitively - people can and do get arrested for not carrying passports. Thus, carrying your passport is probably the only way to 100% guarantee this not happening to you. It doesn't matter what someone in Bangkok says - it matters what happens on the ground. Nocturnal raids on bars have being going on in Thailand for years, as have the arrests for not having a passport and indeed the "pee in a cup" nonsense. I'd suggest that anyone resisting arrest and waving that newspaper article as a cutting is likely to find out just how hard a Thai copper's baton (oo er missus) is when it's battered over their head.

Stop spreading false information .

People do not get arrested for not carrying their passport around and no one has ever been hit by a police batton for not having their passport on them .

If the Police want to see your passport, they will accompany you back to your room for you to show it to them, you will only be arrested if you cannot or will not show them your passport.

Yet thats categorically not true..

People are arrested.. Many times would not be released until someone else goes and gets their passport and brings it to the police station.. They do not 'go back to your room'..

You must understand that simply being detained and actually being arrested are two very different situations .

Once you have been arrested, your crime is logged and you have to attend a Court hearing for your crime .

People get arrested (on suspicion of X) and released without charge all the time..

I believe the correct wording is that you're "detained" by the police until someone can bring your passport to them.

I wonder if you show them your Thai drivers license which contains your passport number, can't they look up your passport number in the national computer system and check out your immigration status there?

Come come now Nancy.....that is logical, and this is Thailand!

Except it doesnt cover

1) dual nationals

2) people with 2 passports (same country)

3) replaced passports

Etc.

My DL doesnt show the passport which has my entry stamp in it..

I scanned the photo page (both sides) of my passport into my computer and reduced it in size with Photoshop to credit card dimensions.

I printed it out, laminated it, rounding the corners so it looked a bit more 'professional,' and have since used it at least three dozen times when asked by police, as well as banks, rental agencies, even airport and bus ticket counters, etc., etc., everywhere OTHER than immigration, and never had a problem being accepted.

i.

Yet thats categorically not true..

People are arrested.. Many times would not be released until someone else goes and gets their passport and brings it to the police station.. They do not 'go back to your room'..

Just to clarify ":

Were they properly arrested ?

Cuffed up, finger prints taken , given a charge sheet and a Court date and their Embassys informed of their arrest and allowed one phone call and did they somehow then get un arrested later ?

Or were they simply just detained ?

Speaking of experience , I was in CM main Police station and I was asked to show my passport and I didnt have it on me , they asked me to give them the keys to my room so that they could go and get it themselves , I refused to give them my keys to my room and they took me back to my room to get my passport .

I didnt get charged for not having my Passport on me

People get arrested (on suspicion of X) and released without charge all the time..

Although I did mean when people get arrested for actually committing an offence, rather than just on suspicion of committing an offence .

That cannot be true .

Simply not having your passport on you at all times is an arrest able offence and you will have to attend Court for your offence

As you know, each incident is completely different. It's pretty rare to be arrested for not having a passport. You are normally given time to get it, but only a certain amount of time is generally allowed. Or, just fined on the spot.

But you are right, if they want your passport and you don't have it, they can arrest you. It is the law. Actually, what the law says is you need to be able to prove you are in the country legally. For most of us, that's our visa stamp.

That cannot be true .

As you know, each incident is completely different. It's pretty rare to be arrested for not having a passport. You are normally given time to get it, but only a certain amount of time is generally allowed. Or, just fined on the spot.

But you are right, if they want your passport and you don't have it, they can arrest you. It is the law. Actually, what the law says is you need to be able to prove you are in the country legally. For most of us, that's our visa stamp.

Although, how many people have actually been arrested and prosecuted for not carry their passport around with them ?

Has anyone ever been prosecuted for not having their passport on their person when been requested to show it ?

Has anyone ever been charged with that crime ?

How many foreigners ALWAYS carry their passports with them at all times ?

How many foreigners have been arrested for not carrying their passports with them ?

The answer to both questions is probably very close to zero

Nancy is correct. In CM you ate detained at the police station until someone brings in your passport. Several of my friends have played this game.

Was at Spicy in Chiang Mai last night, 20 customers at 11:30pm. Enter the cops, about 20 of them along with 15 tourist police girls who looked like volunteers. Megaphone announced everyone was requested to show passports, one cop had an assault rifle. Overkill. More cops than customers.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Edited by wcoast

I scanned the photo page (both sides) of my passport into my computer and reduced it in size with Photoshop to credit card dimensions.

I printed it out, laminated it, rounding the corners so it looked a bit more 'professional,' and have since used it at least three dozen times when asked by police, as well as banks, rental agencies, even airport and bus ticket counters, etc., etc., everywhere OTHER than immigration, and never had a problem being accepted.

Apart from a copy of your passport, you would need a copy of the TM7, visa stamp, 90 day? Anything else to cover all of the bases?

Will all of that info fit on 2 sided reduced page and still be legible?coffee1.gifwai.gif

Nancy is correct. In CM you ate detained at the police station until someone brings in your passport. Several of my friends have played this game.

What happens if a guy is single, no GF, does not know phone number of a friend? They are Donald Ducked..sad.png

Apart from a copy of your passport, you would need a copy of the TM7, visa stamp, 90 day? Anything else to cover all of the bases?

Will all of that info fit on 2 sided reduced page and still be legible?coffee1.gifwai.gif

To date, I've never needed to show anything other than the photo page. However, you may wish to copy and carry more.

To be sure, I haven't run into very many Thai police who can read and understand English. They seem to be satisfied seeing something that looks 'authentic.' I used to carry a photo copies of the relevant passport pages, but stopped that years ago when I switched to the small card. As I said, I've used the card at least 30+ times with police, and more with others that requested a passport. It's never been questioned. I wouldn't try to use it at Immigration, but it seems to work well. Even my bank, which has a sign stating that an 'original passport' must be used, accepts it.

I think the answer is that FolkGuitar hasn't found himself at Zoe in Yellow or Spicy after 10 pm or playing cards in the afternoon with his silver-haired bridge club buddies when the place was swarmed with BIB carrying military weapons, demanding to see passports. In those situations, I doubt that a mini laminated card of his passport photo page is going to be a "get out of jail free" card. Nor do I expect that the BIB will graciously drive him to his home to get his passport like they did for Luke000 when he was picked up.

I think the answer is that FolkGuitar hasn't found himself at Zoe in Yellow or Spicy after 10 pm or playing cards in the afternoon with his silver-haired bridge club buddies when the place was swarmed with BIB carrying military weapons, demanding to see passports. In those situations, I doubt that a mini laminated card of his passport photo page is going to be a "get out of jail free" card. Nor do I expect that the BIB will graciously drive him to his home to get his passport like they did for Luke000 when he was picked up.

Although I do think that the Police will have a different attitude when they are specifically raiding premises with the intention of apprehending law breakers compared to the police who just do daily routine stops and checks .

Immigration issues are dealt with by the immigration department and the regular Police on a daily basis are rather more lenient .

If immigration officers raid a premises, they are going to want to inspect everyones passport , if a Policeman stops you at a roadblock , he will accept a photocopy

Although I do think that the Police will have a different attitude when they are specifically raiding premises with the intention of apprehending law breakers compared to the police who just do daily routine stops and checks .

Immigration issues are dealt with by the immigration department and the regular Police on a daily basis are rather more lenient .

If immigration officers raid a premises, they are going to want to inspect everyones passport , if a Policeman stops you at a roadblock , he will accept a photocopy

You apparently have not been stopped at a roadblock or in a bar when the army is in control. ONLY a passport will do.

from what I can gather from these reports,Looks like every one will be carrying there passports,At all times.

Or they'll just go somewhere where they aren't likely to be randomly lobbed in the clink for not doing so when they are in a supposedly tourist friendly country.

My goodness, I just read the CityNew article. It said the "raid" occurred at 10 pm! Hardly a time of "out-of-hours" drinking and that no drugs, weapons or dangerous items were found on any of the "party-goers" after the 100 police detained everyone. Also, it says they did urine tests (implying the tourists weren't taken to the station, but rather the testing was done on-the-spot) but no one was found to be using illicit drugs (wow!) and said those without a passport were taken to the police station for "processing". It went on to say that no one was found to be on overstay.

My first thought when hearing the news of this raid was "well, everyone knows you shouldn't be out drinking after 12.00 midnight", but I was wrong. This is so excessive. The raid was at 10 pm and no one was found to be in violation of anything.

I wonder how long it will be before they come to raid XXXX's at 10 pm? I've been know to be there at that excessive late hour, still sipping a red wine. Good thing I always wear dresses. It will preserve my modesty when I have to pee in the cup in public. (and I always carry my passport with me -- take that BIB!)

Edit: to remove the name of my local

I'm more concerned about when the day arrives (and it will at this rate) when you're innocently walking along Huay Kaew Road and a pickup truck suddenly pulls up alongside you and somebody gets out and demands that you show them your papersbah.gif

My goodness, I just read the CityNew article. It said the "raid" occurred at 10 pm! Hardly a time of "out-of-hours" drinking and that no drugs, weapons or dangerous items were found on any of the "party-goers" after the 100 police detained everyone. Also, it says they did urine tests (implying the tourists weren't taken to the station, but rather the testing was done on-the-spot) but no one was found to be using illicit drugs (wow!) and said those without a passport were taken to the police station for "processing". It went on to say that no one was found to be on overstay.

My first thought when hearing the news of this raid was "well, everyone knows you shouldn't be out drinking after 12.00 midnight", but I was wrong. This is so excessive. The raid was at 10 pm and no one was found to be in violation of anything.

I wonder how long it will be before they come to raid XXXX's at 10 pm? I've been know to be there at that excessive late hour, still sipping a red wine. Good thing I always wear dresses. It will preserve my modesty when I have to pee in the cup in public. (and I always carry my passport with me -- take that BIB!)

Edit: to remove the name of my local

I'm more concerned about when the day arrives (and it will at this rate) when you're innocently walking along Huay Kaew Road and a pickup truck suddenly pulls up alongside you and somebody gets out and demands that you show them your papersbah.gif

That use to happen on Sukhumvit in Bangkok all the time. I never went to Bangkok and traveled around without my passport.