Buying a new scooter in Bangkok

ibstar24

So, I have been renting an automatic scooter (Honda Spacey) for the past few months to commute to work and having got to grips my BKK traffic, I'm now ready to buy my own.

After doing a fair bit of research and reading through these forums, I've decided that it will either be a new Yamaha GT125 or a Yamaha Mio. With this in mind, I went into a few bike shops this week to ask some questions and get prices etc. But my Thai speaking skills are practically non-existent and there is only so much that can be communicated using google translate meaning I did not make as much progress towards actually buying a bike as I'd hoped.

My question is, can anybody point me in the direction of a bike shop where the staff can tolerate my crappy Thai and speak decent English as I'd like to be able to clarify issues such as warranty, servicing, insurance, green books and the like.

I live off the Rama 9 road close to the MRT station and I work near Victory Monument so anywhere in the vicinity of either location would be ideal. That said, I still have my rental so it doesn't matter if the shop is a bit further out.

Thanks in advance!

My question is, can anybody point me in the direction of a bike shop where the staff can tolerate my crappy Thai and speak decent English as I'd like to be able to clarify issues such as warranty, servicing, insurance, green books and the like.

Good luck with that. They will not be interested in any warranty work and servicing to a Thai is changing the oil.

Good luck with that. They will not be interested in any warranty work and servicing to a Thai is changing the oil.

Thanks for the reply, I'll take that on board. Any recommendations for shops to visit?

You could bar fine a beer bar girl during the Day and she would translate for you, that would work but be careful she doesn't tell him to add several thousand baht spotters fee

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Hahaha! This is just the kind of excuse I need to convince my wife that spending time in semi-seedy bars is a legitimate way to spend an evening. "It's just market research, Love. Honest!"

You could bar fine a beer bar girl during the Day and she would translate for you, that would work but be careful she doesn't tell him to add several thousand baht spotters fee

Hahaha! This is just the kind of excuse I need to convince my wife that spending time in semi-seedy bars is a legitimate way to spend an evening. "It's just market research, Love. Honest!"

Perhaps take your wife then? (I presume she's Thai)

If not... On Rama 4, the side of the Bangkok university campus or next to a condo complex named Lumpini Place, There is a Yamaha dealer, who also sells Honda and Kawasaki, that speaks pretty good English.

FYI the Yamaha Mio is discontinued now replaced by the GT125, though he likely still has Mio's if you insist. He has Honda Clicks there too so you can compare.

She's British, a Thai wife would negate this entire issue ;-)

I think I'd prefer the Mio for the extra storage and the injection which I've been led to believe is better for fuel economy.

Thanks for the tip!

Perhaps take your wife then? (I presume she's Thai)

If not... On Rama 4, the side of the Bangkok university campus or next to a condo complex named Lumpini Place, There is a Yamaha dealer, who also sells Honda and Kawasaki, that speaks pretty good English.

FYI the Yamaha Mio is discontinued now replaced by the GT125, though he likely still has Mio's if you insist. He has Honda Clicks there too so you can compare.

I'll say bs regarding Yamaha not warranting their bikes. We have a Grand Filano automatic and a 110 Spark. The Filano was well into its first year and I noticed a slippage and squealing under a load. Pulled up and they stripped it immediately with no questions asked. I believe it was a torque converter issue (from my limited knowledge if the bike has such a transmission) and they ordered the parts, gave us a loaner,,after I insisted and returned the bike in a few days. Works well ever since.

I don't think there's much to discuss at purchase time it's pretty routine for them and inflexible. Just pick the bike, give them the money,they insure it and send you away. Come back for the green book when they tell you.

My Yamaha service is great. They change oil and trans fluid, check filters adjust brakes,lube the chain,Kickstarter etc.

All for a few hundred baht or less. I always tip the bay manager well and thank him.

A follow on today regarding Yamaha service. I took my Spark with only 2,000 km for air in the tire which they always stop working and due gladly at no charge. When finished the shop foreman opened the chain inspection port,got out wrenches to adjust it and the rear brake, lubed all the pivot points, checked the lights then kicked started it to listen to the engine before handing it back to me.

All this without a word spoken as I have no Thai and him no English. I tipped him as usual.

While driving almost home I hear an insistent horn behind me which was the man chasing me down because he'd forgotten to replace the chain inspection rubber plug.

I'll take that kind of service any day and continue to buy Yamahas from that dealership.ba666fd89e904513a70d6af482ab6b82.jpg