Rawai sea gypsies turn down government offer

snoop1130

Rawai sea gypsies turn down government offer
Phuket Gazette

post-249866-0-91936100-1455880882_thumb.

PHUKET: -- The Rawai sea gypsies have turned down the provincial government’s offer to purchase 19 rai of disputed land, insisting that the land deeds must be revoked entirely.

Reasons for the most recent refusal in the prolonged land dispute between landowners and the sea gypsies were that the sea gypsies believe the land deeds were unlawfully acquired so they are demanding that the Land Department revoke them first, confirmed sea gypsy community leader Ngeem Damrongkaset.

The area that Phuket Province intended to purchase for the seafaring nomads was a 19-rai plot, which had already been inspected by the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) and proven to have been the gypsies’ home for more than 100 years.

Full Story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Rawai-sea-gypsies-turn-down-government-offer/63200?desktopversion

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-02-19

Doesnt seem to be any progress on the investigation of how the land titles were obtained and now they want to purchase from the developer what they already have rights to occupy.

I suspect some influencial names came up or were associated and this is the easy way to stop the house of cards crumbling. Much easier than having to return the commissions which have more than likely been spent.

Is this story's photo actually of Thai sea gypsies? The bowl in the middle looks like a traditional kava bowl for drinking kava root grog ... and these are normally only used by South Pacific islanders.

Naaah!! Indiginois tribes all thru SE Asia have their own version and community drinking is quite common Ma'am Pai in Laos for example, MEO Tribes also drink from a gourd like this as well.

I am still a little unsure about which land is actually in dispute.

Reading the full article it seems there is two parcels of land being discussed - 19 rai and 33 rai.

The area that Phuket Province intended to purchase for the seafaring nomads was a 19-rai plot, which had already been inspected by the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) and proven to have been the gypsies’ home for more than 100 years -

I'm with the Sea Gypsies on this one.

Meanwhile, in the conflict over 33 rai of land owned by Baron World Trade Company, which has laid claim to a religious site traditionally used the sea gypsies and the access way to the beach, Governor Chamroen said that the province has set up a team to measure the disputed access way, about three meters wide, and asked for three more meters of land to create a wider path (story here).

Mr Ngeem said the sea gypsies had also turned down this offer from the provincial government and insisted on using the original way to the shrine and the beach through disputed land. “We urge the Land Department to inspect the land deed of this plot as well.

We do not mean to reclaim all of the land, but we want our original path, the shrine and the beach access to be excluded from this plot of land,” he said.

It seems the gypsies want to use a path across the middle of land owned by the consortium who want to develop this plot. They refuse an offer to allow transit along a 3 metre path near the shore line.

I don't know if the deeds to this land are dodgy or not, but, if not, I consider the gypsies attitude to be unreasonable and just an attempt to procure all land to the north-east of the pier.

As their population has exploded in recent times (high birth rate) their current village is grossly overcrowded and they may see this situation as an opportunity to expand.

And right they are ! Keep it up !

My father had a little rhyme about motoring safety that applies equally well to the Sea Gypsies case:

Here lies the body of Peter Ray

He died defending his right of way.

He was right, dead right, as he drove along

But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong

Is this story's photo actually of Thai sea gypsies? The bowl in the middle looks like a traditional kava bowl for drinking kava root grog ... and these are normally only used by South Pacific islanders.

Doesn't look like a bowl to me. More like a plastic wash tub bought at the market.

Doesn't look like a bowl to me. More like a plastic wash tub bought at the market.

Nice observation. Very keen eyes you have. smh