Anyone in Udon or Isaan have an evaporate window cooler?

George Harmony

Just curious - I remember using a roof top model with great success in the desert - isn't this type of cooler more effective in climates with little or no humidity?

you are right and that means it won't work in Thailand.

I'm thinking blowing the cool air in at lower level and adding a few extract vents in the ceiling. Anyone ever tried to make a home made water cooled air conditioning system?

here in Thailand i had one built according to my design. it's a regular split unit with an added heat exchanger, water pump and buffer tank. the system is cooled by my pool water, it cools the pool area and heats the pool. but i wouldn't call it "homemade".

i also experimented in my former home (Florida) to use additional evaporation cooling by spraying well water on the condenser and increased the efficiency by ~25%.

by the way... whatever home made cooling ideas i have seen presented on youtube and thaivisa are cheesy.gif

You'd have better luck (if you want a cheap and homemade deal) pumping the water from a well through a car radiator and blowing air through that. I think you'd need a lot of those to do much good but at least you wouldn't be fighting humidity. If you had a high volume/low pressure pump it wouldn't take much electricity to run it.

You aren't going to beat air conditioning though because by its nature it also removes humidity from the room. If it was possible, I'd rather remove the humidity than lower the temp if I could do just one. Hot dry air feels a lot better than hot humid air.

They call it air conditioning because it does more than cool. It also dehumidifies or they'd call it a cooler. In the end you really need air conditioning if you're going to be truly comfortable.

Cheers.

I'm thinking blowing the cool air in at lower level and adding a few extract vents in the ceiling. Anyone ever tried to make a home made water cooled air conditioning system?

here in Thailand i had one built according to my design. it's a regular split unit with an added heat exchanger, water pump and buffer tank. the system is cooled by my pool water, it cools the pool area and heats the pool. but i wouldn't call it "homemade".

i also experimented in my former home (Florida) to use additional evaporation cooling by spraying well water on the condenser and increased the efficiency by ~25%.

by the way... whatever home made cooling ideas i have seen presented on youtube and thaivisa are cheesy.gif

So, your saying it might just work?

Just curious - I remember using a roof top model with great success in the desert - isn't this type of cooler more effective in climates with little or no humidity?

Indeed so, evaporative water coolers work well in very dry desert climates. If you search the net for 'evaporative water coolers' you will soon find that they are only really effective during the heat of the day and when the humidity is below 50%. The key to effectively cooling your home with such a water cooler is hot, dry air. Unfortunately, the humidity in Thailand during the hot, wet season can be very high and in excess of 90%. IMHO, the cooling effect of an evaporated water cooler will be virtually non-existent I am sorry to say.

So, your saying it might just work?

none of them generate any cooling worthwhile to mention and virtually all of the ideas originate from people who don't possess the slightest idea concerning thermo physics gigglem.gif

You'd have better luck (if you want a cheap and homemade deal) pumping the water from a well through a car radiator and blowing air through that. I think you'd need a lot of those to do much good but at least you wouldn't be fighting humidity. If you had a high volume/low pressure pump it wouldn't take much electricity to run it.

You aren't going to beat air conditioning though because by its nature it also removes humidity from the room. If it was possible, I'd rather remove the humidity than lower the temp if I could do just one. Hot dry air feels a lot better than hot humid air.

They call it air conditioning because it does more than cool. It also dehumidifies or they'd call it a cooler. In the end you really need air conditioning if you're going to be truly comfortable.

Cheers.

you are correct NS but i would like to add that dehumidifaction is possible if the well water is considerably cooler than the desired room temperature, e.g. well 18º / room 26ºC.

that applies to my well but unfortunately i can only pump 5-6 m3/hour before the pump sucks air and cooling even a part of my home would need a much higher volume of water for which, as you already mentioned, a lot of energy (pumping water and recirculating air) is required.

in my case i thought of the solution using the 18ºC well water to cool condensers of regular split units but the low pH (4.5-5.3) and low alkalinity (20) makes the water so corrosive that expensive Titanium heat exchangers are required, id est zero sum game sad.png

Cheers.

you are correct NS but i would like to add that dehumidifaction is possible if the well water is considerably cooler than the desired room temperature, e.g. well 18º / room 26ºC.

that applies to my well but unfortunately i can only pump 5-6 m3/hour before the pump sucks air and cooling even a part of my home would need a much higher volume of water for which, as you already mentioned, a lot of energy (pumping water and recirculating air) is required.

in my case i thought of the solution using the 18ºC well water to cool condensers of regular split units but the low pH (4.5-5.3) and low alkalinity (20) makes the water so corrosive that expensive Titanium heat exchangers are required, id est zero sum game sad.png

Ok, so let's say that in my laboratory that I've built at the side of my house in which I conduct all my experiments that I have managed to drop the temperature up to 10 degrees lower than the outside temperature using only water PVC pipe and a cheap fan. Surely if I can blow this cool air into my living room and extract the hot air my room will cool, yes or no? I would love to post my results so far but if another like minded scientist gets ahold of my invention with more knowledge on air cooling than me then I'm afraid that he may get the accolade that I deserve for all my hard work.

@littlesammychong,

Even if you can achieve 5degrees C difference between inside and outside temp its great.

I posted above about an invention of students with copper pipe under the ground and also above the ground for evaporation. Such a system can also be used for blowing colder air into a room.

Besides passive cooling and using a whole house extract fan plus blowing colder air in i also am convinced convinced that you can lower your room temp.

My main question was/is whats the best way in thailand to blow colder air into a non AC room.

@littlesammychong,

Even if you can achieve 5degrees C difference between inside and outside temp its great.

I posted above about an invention of students with copper pipe under the ground and also above the ground for evaporation. Such a system can also be used for blowing colder air into a room.

Besides passive cooling and using a whole house extract fan plus blowing colder air in i also am convinced convinced that you can lower your room temp.

My main question was/is whats the best way in thailand to blow colder air into a non AC room.

I'm not sure yet, currently working on the burglar alarm system. My original idea is to draw the air in using a simple cooker extractor fan using small ducts at lower level. Can't let on too much, I think I'm on to something NASSA would be proud of.

Thats really great.

Im thinking of a combination of the invention of the students above and peltier water cooling since im totally offgrid using a small solar system. A system thus not depending on the humidity of the room or outside area to blow colder air into a room.

Cheers.

Ok, so let's say that in my laboratory that I've built at the side of my house in which I conduct all my experiments that I have managed to drop the temperature up to 10 degrees lower than the outside temperature using only water PVC pipe and a cheap fan. Surely if I can blow this cool air into my living room and extract the hot air my room will cool, yes or no? I would love to post my results so far but if another like minded scientist gets ahold of my invention with more knowledge on air cooling than me then I'm afraid that he may get the accolade that I deserve for all my hard work.

congratulations! i never achieved in my 17m² workshop a delta t of 10ºC (when ambient is 35º) although it's equipped with a conventional aircon, capacity 12,000 btu/h.

and like you i refrain from publishing details of the engine i designed and built which uses the hot air spread in the internet by wannabee engineers cum inventors who are beating the laws of physics 25 hours a day because they skip lunch break.

crazy.gif

Cheers.

congratulations! i never achieved in my 17m² workshop a delta t of 10ºC (when ambient is 35º) although it's equipped with a conventional aircon, capacity 12,000 btu/h.

and like you i refrain from publishing details of the engine i designed and built which uses the hot air spread in the internet by wannabee engineers cum inventors who are beating the laws of physics 25 hours a day because they skip lunch break.

crazy.gif

This is exactly what I'm talking about, someone with a good education, no doubt better than mine but way too much stuck up there own <deleted>.. So much to say but when it comes to getting the job done useless. 18 degrees inside now I'm off to put my onesie on.

18C ...congratulations.

Im satisfied with 25C day and night, like in europe before setting your thermost at 25 when its freezing.

In my current situation at night I sleep at temp around 26c with no cooling. during the day on a very hot day its around 29C inside at noon+. Now I have to figure out how to decrease the inside temp to 25c.

If one try fails try another setup. Never say it cant be done. Do it till you reach your goal.

Please give an opinion if a system like this will work.

According to the student who won an award for their invented fridge it will reach a temp around 5C in the insulated fridge UNDER the ground.

With a similar setup also in combination with peltier (water cooler) is it possible you think to blow cooler air into the room??

post-177483-0-05680500-1456072923_thumb.

With a similar setup also in combination with peltier (water cooler) is it possible you think to blow cooler air into the room??

yes George, it will work. wrapping the cage of your hamster or gerbil with insulation material your pet will have a cool accomodation.

@naam,

Im talking about cooling a small living room (4x4) with the same idea of the student invention adding with peltier module.

I already have a kind of a sprinkler system to sprinkle my roof in order to cool more besides the passive cooling i already achieved. Not enough though when its very very hot.

Any ideas?

@naam,

Im talking about cooling a small living room (4x4) with the same idea of the student invention adding with peltier module.

I already have a kind of a sprinkler system to sprinkle my roof in order to cool more besides the passive cooling i already achieved. Not enough though when its very very hot.

Any ideas?

the facts you provide are insufficient for feasible ideas.

questions:

-am i correct to assume that you have no access at all to the public electric grid?

-what is your present photovoltaic solar capacity, respectively are you willing to invest additional money to increase the capacity?