Beware:: Scam at Chiang Mai Airport

ianf

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The most sensible advice came from NorthJohn and it's what Hubby and I do. Bangkok Bank has branches every 300 meters in this town, so it's easy to maintain a stock of small bills at home. No need to use the "bank of 7/11" to obtain your small bills.

I just make it a practice to pay for EVERYTHING exactly. Most of the clerks here don't know how to make change anyway.

every 300 meters branches,the nearest from ksk, Is pantip plaza chiang mai gate branch is closed.and nimman is a sub branch,or less u mean atms.??

Hmm, does Ian drive a 6 wheel car?

http://chiangmaiairportthai.com/en/296-parking

Do tell and put us all out of our misery. laugh.png

???? He wanted to pay 20 baht, but only had a 50 baht note, so he paid with that - and then he expected to get 30 baht in change but got nothing instead. I think you messed up on this one, Chiang Mai.

Read post #54

Thanks for the heads-up from the OP. wai2.gif

I always carry a few B10-coins in my car, to pay at the airport or Kad-Suan-Kaew, for parking.

If paying with a B1,000-note, for example at the petrol-station, I always say "nung pan baht" as I hand the note over, it seems to work.

At most proper shops like 7-11, Tesco etc the cashier always acknowledges 1000bt given.

Oh no they don`t.

I`ve had s**t tried on me several times at 7/11s, Tesco Lotus, Big C, petrol stations and MacDonalds. Handed over a 1000 baht note for items costing 100 baht up to 200 baht. Cashier counts the change out in 100 baht notes and a few loose coins, no 500 baht note in the change, throws the bundle of 100 baht notes with some coins into my hand and rushes off quick. Check my change and it`s 100 baht short. This has happened to me on several occasions and I`ve caught onto this now. I don`t trust any of these lying, cheating busters and always on the alert at these places.

Well, they do with me. I assume that's how they've been taught. Maybe I look particularly threatening when i hand the 1000 note over whistling.gif

My wife simply taught me to tell whoever I was paying how much I was giving them.

Rocket science it isn't and doesn't require anything to be done pre payment.

Also Once, just the once I would love to read a posting where people like this admit IT IS all about the piddling small amount of Baht and nothing to do with the principle ! wink.png

???? He wanted to pay 20 baht, but only had a 50 baht note, so he paid with that - and then he expected to get 30 baht in change but got nothing instead. I think you messed up on this one, Chiang Mai.

Read post #54

OK, now I have read post #54. So what? Are you implying that OP is driving a bus or a big truck or a 6-wheel car, but is unaware of it himself? Yes, that must be it. It makes perfect sense. facepalm.gif

Read post #54

OK, now I have read post #54. So what? Are you implying that OP is driving a bus or a big truck or a 6-wheel car, but is unaware of it himself? Yes, that must be it. It makes perfect sense. facepalm.gif

Nevermind....

4-5 times a year in Chiang Mai shops try to short-change me (I smile and tell the clerk there's been a mistake - and I get my money back with a smile from the clerk). About twice a year I get too much change back - I always give back the "long-change" because I have heard that the store clerks have to cover losses like this with their own wages.

I have lived here 12 years now, so this makes for a lot of incorrect change given. Most of the time I think it comes down to weak math skills or inattention rather than trying to rip me off.

Reminds me of years ago when my wife was working at McDonalds in Vancouver Canada and they did not have the machines did not tell how much change to give back.

Half the kids did not know how to figure the change out. She tried.

She would show them an example like if the bill was $3.97 cents and they were given a $5 bill.

She would take a penny and add it to the figure so it showed $398 cents

then she would take another penny and add it to the $398 cents so it showed $3.99 cents.

Then she would take another penny and add it to the $3,99 cents so it showed $4

then she would take a dollar bill and add it to the $4 so it showed $5. In this way they had $1,03 on the counter which was the correct amount of change for a $5 note on a $3,97 cent bill.

Most of them still couldn't figure it out.

You lost me after you added the first penny. gigglem.gif

Now you know how those kids felttongue.png

Read post #54

If you don't get humour can you please go troll somewhere else!

I went to the KFC yesterday in Prominada and got the 145 Baht KFC meal .

I paid for it and She only gave me 365 Baht change .

I told her that I gave her a 1000 Baht note .

She said that I didnt and that I only gave her a 500 Baht note .

After thinking for a while , I remembered that I only had a 500 Baht note

So, I apologised

Yes it is an easy thing to do. I make the mix up with some of the older 20 and 50 baht notes. I keep the 1,000 baht notes in a separate compartment. As I said I try to give a reasonably close amount of money. When I first came here I would do the 7/11 thing but I always felt that it was really not rite so I started getting a month supply of each denomination. Depending on 7/11 not so bad as depending on street vendors.

I have to admit that is part of the beauty of being retired you have time to go to a bank once a month. Unless you are physically disabled and have some one you can trust with your ATM or Visa card to go to the machine often and pay what ever it is. 150 or 180 baht not sure one poster said 300 baht. But I don't believe him.

The most sensible advice came from NorthJohn and it's what Hubby and I do. Bangkok Bank has branches every 300 meters in this town, so it's easy to maintain a stock of small bills at home. No need to use the "bank of 7/11" to obtain your small bills.

I just make it a practice to pay for EVERYTHING exactly. Most of the clerks here don't know how to make change anyway.

every 300 meters branches,the nearest from ksk, Is pantip plaza chiang mai gate branch is closed.and nimman is a sub branch,or less u mean atms.??

I think she is talking about ATM machines. Makes no difference to me. If I have to use an ATM I always pick one at a bank so if it eats my card I can get it back.

They are out to get you every time that is for sure and even more so when you are with a UK friend. You just have to remember that and wear your mean paranoid face all the time to scare the sh-t out of them so they do not mess with you in any way. That is especially important if you are a little squirt. GRRRRRRR

Darn tootin' right, man! Is it any wonder I wear my tinfoil hat everywhere I go??

T

When I came to CM to stay the first time, in 2010, I made mistakes a few times with sorting out folding baht. I was always corrected and my overpayment was returned - with some laughter at me. I laughed along and struck my head to show how foolish I was.

I recall one time back of Raumchok Rimping when a fellow from a little (Vietnamese? - near a vet's, anyway) restaurant chased me across the street to return a bill. Don't recall the amount, though.

Life is just strange.

I go out of my way to carry small change at all times....ever time i leave my hotel i get a 100 in coins and small notes....sadly thais have lost my trust for good.

How is it that people like yourself seem to have presumably been wrong-changed so often, and yet people like me, and plenty others, haven't. I admit that I don't check every time, but that is because it doesn't appear to be a problem for me. The last time I know of being short-changed was about 4 years ago at a gas station. Do you move in different circles, or maybe you look like a mug? Rummy.

If I have been unknowingly diddled out of the odd baht or two, the benefit of not knowing is that I haven't become a hawk-eyed cynic, and I still trust people. Which is fine by me. Living in a country where you trust no-one can't be nice.

My local food place , We usually go in there, have a feed, I usually just give then a 1000 Baht and get change , without even asking how much the food costs .

I counted the change once on the way home and it was a lot , so we went back and told then that they ve given us too much change , they re added the bill and found out that they'd given us 100 Baht too much change

Ihave never had a problem being short changed in Thailand, a few very paranoid people here. Can you not count your change after recieving it. And believe it or not people do make mistakes

Another oppertunity for some Thai bashing I think

Edited by moe666

I don't know why, but I've never liked bank notes with 50 denominations. In the U.S. I had "issues" with $50 bills, i.e. losing them that I never seemed to have with 20s or 100s. Fortunately, I didn't do this often, but one time, I left a wallet on the roof of the car at a mall, drove off and a "good" Samaritan found the wallet and made it very clear in an email he got from my business card that he wanted one of the 50 dollar bills he found in the wallet in order to return it. Another time, mechanics in a local auto shop were were doing some work on our Buick, dismantling the instrument panel and said they found a 50 dollar bill inside -- this was in the 1970s when 50 dollar bills were really worth something. I rarely "dealt" in 50 dollar bills in that era and wondered what Hubby did, but what could I do, but give the 50 dollar bill to the shop supervisor and tell him to buy beers for all the crew after work that day.

I've had other incidents with 50 baht notes here in Thailand. They just look too similar to 20 baht notes, especially when faded. When Hubby and I get small bills at Bangkok Bank, we just get 100 baht and 20 baht notes.

i bought 2 beers and a 5 bt bag of snacks this afternoon......the seasoned conwoman in the corner shop (who ive never seen before) overcharged me by 10bt.....the sheer audacity of it! i wont sleep tonight......10 whole baht!!!

.......shall i write to the general?

i bought 2 beers and a 5 bt bag of snacks this afternoon......the seasoned conwoman in the corner shop (who ive never seen before) overcharged me by 10bt.....the sheer audacity of it! i wont sleep tonight......10 whole baht!!!

The sarcasm comes through clearly in your post.

The problem is that there are others who make virtually the came complaints but mean them.

you can write to him next time when you get short changed and get 10 bht back from a 1000 note.

just go home and write it off, it's just money.

In India, it's normal to verbally tell them how much you are handing them and let them acknowledge it. It is a common scam there so you have to be prepared for it.

I do this everywhere I go, have never had a problem.