YMCA Teaching Thai - your experiences

krey

was looking to strengthen my Thai up some more. Noticed the YMCA has several levels for Falangs to learn

Anyone take any of these courses either now or in the past. Would be curious on what they are like.

Not interested in Education Visa talk.. Thanks!

The YMCA has a proven track record for its Thai courses. To borrow a sponsor's motto, "No claims, no games, just great..." It's also the right place to be if you're not seeking a visa. Most people go there just to learn Thai, and not to acquire an ED visa. The result is a better classroom experience.

thanks all,

what is the best way to contact them, the website is a little messy with a few links not working, tried emailing an address and called a number but didnt work for the number and no response to emails

Yes, definitely go in person. I took classes there a few years ago and found the website wasn't always up-to-date. Maybe that's improved.

And the classes aren't definitely just for "falangs". There are a high number of Asians taking the classes, too.

Was wondering how long the class is and is it every day.

Edit

I took the beginners at AUS I think the name is. It is on the same street as the Sunday walking street. It was a 5 day a week course with 10 people in it. All of them had either taken the course before or lived here for a while. It was more on Grammar than learning the language. I had trouble with grammar when I had to take it in school and it was in a language I speak, my native language.

Edited by northernjohn

from the website , though it is a bit dated, it is 2 hours on Mondays, Wednesdays and Friday.

They have 8 levels so I presume the teachers might give you a little chat test to see what level they think you belong in would be my guess

It was many years ago but I took a five-week speaking course at the Y in CM. Not impressed. The teacher, who said she almost had an MA in teaching Thai from CMU, was incredibly slack, giving us homework assignments riddled with mistakes and showing up late. Hopefully, they have hired better teachers more recently.

thanks all i will stop in on monday

Monday is a holiday. Here's a link that I think is the current schedule. http://www.ymcachiangmai.org/UserFiles/File/program/YMCAThaiClassesforForeigner59.pdf

It is easier to sign up and talk to them in person. You will need to get a Y membership (I think it was 100 baht), pay for class (varies depends on level) and book(s).

thanks all i will stop in on monday

Monday is a holiday. Here's a link that I think is the current schedule. http://www.ymcachiangmai.org/UserFiles/File/program/YMCAThaiClassesforForeigner59.pdf

It is easier to sign up and talk to them in person. You will need to get a Y membership (I think it was 100 baht), pay for class (varies depends on level) and book(s).

thanks they replied to the email today, but seems the round of classes have already started and next ones are not till april 20.. i asked how they place you in which level, still waiting on that, i might even do private for a bit...... havent had much luck with private in the past, most of the private teachers i have got have no plan just kind of goes all over the place. still havent found that good fit for me

^^

I found them the best of the bunch.

You choose the level you like ...... but the higher levels are few and far between.

3 days a week, 2 hours a day.

sure i can choose but since I have absolutely no idea how advanced each level really is, probably be best for them to give me a little test and suggest where I should go... i dont want to just guess and end up being in a class that is too advanced or too novice..its all good:)

dropped by the school today as I couldn't seem to get an answer on emails about the levels.

Right now they are only offering the listen and speaking beginner classes and the read and write.

The elementary classes which is where I thought I would go is not available, perhaps not enough people to teach.

They told me I was too advanced for the classes the offer now. Though I certainly do not feel advanced but I understand it

My only option there is to do private courses which they can offer elementary classes to me, but I was kind of hoping to be in a group, just for the overall fun of it.

Will think about private and do some research on other schools, anyone know of any intermediate courses going on right now at other schools?

Have you tried AUA classes? We went through their basic classes and learned quite a bit.

The teacher, Khun Oranut, was perhaps the best instructor I've had for ANY class, here or back in the US.

Brilliant woman with the skill to transfer knowledge to students with many different learning styles. Her classes aren't exactly 'fun,' though. They are exhausting and mind numbing... but the most effective I've ever seen!

I was not familiar with the phonetic alphabet that they use which meant I was trying to master two topics at once, the phonetic alphabet and Thai.

If you have studied the International phonetic alphabet you should have no problems.