Thai food is so hot it's stupid. Why?

tuonsai

Every time I come to Thailand some of the food is so hot (spicy) it's just completely retarded.

I don't think anyone in their right mind can enjoy this, it's burning my mouth to the point I can't even taste the food.

It's giving me hiccups, and just completely ruining the experience.

How can I enjoy a dish when I can't feel the taste as my mouth is burning.

What is up with this stupidity going on?

I like spicy but this is not spicy this is ruining food.

This is not for only Thai food. Most countries that use rice as a belly filler have spicy dishes/currys/sauces. The hot and spicy cloaks the bland taste of rice. Spicy is cheap , and with extra hot , you eat less , it's poor man's "food". When I want to save money , I eat cooked rice with hot peppers on it , stomach full for less than 10 B.

This is not for only Thai food. Most countries that use rice as a belly filler have spicy dishes/currys/sauces. The hot and spicy cloaks the bland taste of rice. Spicy is cheap , and with extra hot , you eat less , it's poor man's "food". When I want to save money , I eat cooked rice with hot peppers on it , stomach full for less than 10 B.

In the same way that other countries use flavour to 'cloak' the bland taste of bread, potatoes, pasta or pastry, you mean?

Sorry but, you couldnt be more wrong. Rice is eaten with a meal and not covered up except for western societies. Rice is a staple in the east, potatoes in the west.

Rice is bland only to untrained western tongues. There are many flavors and categories of white rice from cheap to expensive.

Japanese and other Asian societies do not cover up rice ever.

Do like I do boycott thai food.I don't eat it.Yes I spend more money buying International food.If I travel I carry peanut butter and

Bread.

a fascinating life style! please tell us more. we don't meet interesting people like you often coffee1.gif

p.s. do you eat your caviar on peanut butter, jam or just plain and is your bread of international origin, perhaps even certified?

In the same way that other countries use flavour to 'cloak' the bland taste of bread, potatoes, pasta or pastry, you mean?

Hey real bread doesn't need anything , it is very tasty by itself. Potatoes too. Both are for richer people because they are much more expensive than rice. Pasta ( spaggetti ) , sure. By itself not very good , but add some cheese and it's delicious , no real need to add hot sauce .

Because we like it!

My only complaint is when I order a dish dish very spicy and another dish that doesn't work very spicy without specifying and the other dish is ruined by making both dishes the same.

For example might order a very spicy curry dish and then a green vegetable dish and the veg dish comes in a ridiculous red sauce.

Yes the solution is to specify non spicy on the vegetable dish but that often gets to the kitchen as farang no like spicy for any dish.

Do like I do boycott thai food.I don't eat it.Yes I spend more money buying International food.If I travel I carry peanut butter and

Bread.

a fascinating life style! please tell us more. we don't meet interesting people like you often coffee1.gif

p.s. do you eat your caviar on peanut butter, jam or just plain and is your bread of international origin, perhaps even certified?

I don't think he's being a smartass just giving the OP good advice.

If you don't like Thai food then don't eat it rather than making embarrassing posts to complain about it. Plenty of non-spicy foreign food available.

Why telling spicy food retard and stupid ? Many many people cannot enjoy their food if it's not spicy.

I don't like too spicy, but I also don't like if it's not spicy at all....my taste is mild spicy. It is the same as what you like with your steak, rare, medium or welldone.

learn to cook and then prepare what you like...'nuff said...and, I'm sure that you will find that food always tastes better when you prepare it yerself...

I prepare stuff that is moderately spicy...always with a handful of garlic thrown in...but I can't eat what the rest of the family eats...I like the top of my head to stay where it is when I eat and not blown all over the kitchen with the first bite...

and there is good entertainment value in going to the market and checking out the vegetables now and then...

anyone ever try the regional cuisine of China (preferably prepared and consumed in China)?...szechuan food is noted for it's spicyness...but they got a great way to prepare and serve it...

you start out and it's a little spicy, just a bit of a tingle...and then the succeeding dishes are progressively spicier...then by the middle of the meal the house is on fire but there you are, happily snarfing away looking forward to the next dish that they set on the table...

ye gots to try it before you condemn spicy food...a unique and very pleasurable dining experience...

Edited by tutsiwarrior