Anyone have any luck sprouting Sage or Thyme from seed here?

i grow a lot of things from seeds, some brought over from oz. chilly, coriander, melons, tomatoes...

i mix local dirt and this burnt coconut stuff they sell, put the seeds in and cover the pot with cling - wrap. punch a few holes in, slowly submerge the the whole pot in water for a minute, than put it in a semi shaded area and leave it.

once the seed sprouted i transfer the plant to its designated place in the late afternoon, water it in well, place a cut plastic bottle over it.

that prevents the birds eating the fresh, young green.

avoid direct sun with anything, growing things under trees or bushes is the go. i even put umbrellas over my roses in summer.

I love the cling wrap idea. Like a little green house. Will give that a try for sure. How do u water though?

the cling wrap sages and forms a concave lid, most of the moisture from the initial submersion stays inside and just recycles. as long as you can see evaporation droplets you don't have to water. seeds don't like it too wet.

tried to attach the bottle photo before but did something wrong. will try to find some more with cling wrap...

post-222491-0-36326500-1455935698_thumb.

I’ve never grown sage from seed but it grows perfectly well from cuttings. I see no reason why thyme would not be just as successful.

Just buy a pack of "fresh as possible" herbs from wherever you can (Foodland/Makro). Cut the ends off the stems which will have sealed themselves. Stand them in water for a few hours or overnight and put them into some potting compost or soil.

Once you’ve got one or 2 healthy plants you can keep snipping them off and stick them in the soil again you should have a dozen or so more healthy plants in no time.

The pictures are of sage,with tarragon in the background and rosemary, all grown by the same method.

post-13487-0-53902200-1456197691_thumb.j

post-13487-0-20955600-1456197710_thumb.j

I’ve never grown sage from seed but it grows perfectly well from cuttings. I see no reason why thyme would not be just as successful.

Just buy a pack of "fresh as possible" herbs from wherever you can (Foodland/Makro). Cut the ends off the stems which will have sealed themselves. Stand them in water for a few hours or overnight and put them into some potting compost or soil.

Once you’ve got one or 2 healthy plants you can keep snipping them off and stick them in the soil again you should have a dozen or so more healthy plants in no time.

The pictures are of sage,with tarragon in the background and rosemary, all grown by the same method.

attachicon.gifIMG_1165 - Copy.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1166 - Copy.JPG

Great idea mate. Used the cling wrap. Seeds coming up everywhere :-)