Living offgrid with small solar system(s)

George Harmony

For three bucks you cannot go far wrong.

Is it worth asking:-

How long to charge fully from solar?

How long does the built-in light run from a full charge?

Wattage of built-in light?

What technology are the built-in rechargeable batteries, capacity?

Agreed. Put me down for two

Also would like the info. Crossy is asking for.

Do you have the web link?

Maybe you already gave it 40 pages ago...............

IMPORTANT NOTE

The lamp G. links to appears to have a simple capacitive power supply when running from mains.

Better photos of the power board are needed to be certain, but if this is the case then ALL the electronics (and the USB port) are potentially live and lethal when the mains supply is connected.

Until we are certain, don't use it to charge your phone when the mains is connected.

IMPORTANT NOTE

The lamp G. links to appears to have a simple capacitive power supply when running from mains.

Better photos of the power board are needed to be certain, but if this is the case then ALL the electronics (and the USB port) are potentially live and lethal when the mains supply is connected.

Until we are certain, don't use it to charge your phone when the mains is connected.

None of the description inform about above questions. Also no manual.

Handy is that this lamp is incl rechargeable AA batteries, no (m)Ah on the battery.

One can easily replace the 2 AA batteries. Also underneath you can add 3 more batteries but these will not be charged by the panel.

Circuit board incl a 220uF 16v capacitor.

All online shops here have the same general description, no tech details/specs and this shop sells cheaper. https://m.tokopedia.com/alabisin/lampu-emergency-lentera-tenaga-surya-rechargeable-camping-lantern

post-177483-0-65441200-1466992445_thumb.

LED flashlights with 2aa batteries last weeks with intermittent use Sort of like the more you turn off, or let it rest, the longer it lasts.

I leave it on 4,5,8 hours per nite for my Cats.. Still going!

Seriously, in a storm, a normal flashlight would last 20 min. If you drop it, goodby. L.E.D's will save your life!

Aloha

IMPORTANT NOTE

I think you're right C. That is what looks like an X or Y type capacitor in series with the incoming supply with a high value resistor in parallel. We can see diodes arranged in what looks like a bridge. I don't see any regulator components and the board looks too small to have an isolation transformer so it needs caution. I would be inclined to remove it and use an external isolated power supply.

They write this on the package. I think typing error, should be a warning for ac charging.

Something else. Before my plan was to make a waterbattery with higher capacity than the planned load and use a step down dc-dc.

Now i see this: Quality Step Up DC 0.9-5V to USB 5V 600mA PFM Control Phone Charging

Perhaps better to use.

1. Input 1 pcs AA 1.5v, output 5V dan arus 200-300mA

2. Input 2 pcs AA 2x1.5v, output 5V dan arus 500-600mA

Under 1volt less mA... Dont need a joule thief perhaps, i dont charge

But i run a usb lamp if possible ..????

Price: Abt 0.55usd (7500 rp) ...amazing

PFM architectures do offer some advantages for DC/DC conversion, including better low-power conversion efficiency, lower total solution cost, and simple converter topologies that do not require control-loop-compensation networks

post-177483-0-00220800-1466999292_thumb.

post-177483-0-46245300-1466999342_thumb.

Edited by George Harmony

Awaiting my copper pipes another experiment with 3cells + cleaning fluid.

Reached 1.5+ volt and this when i put DCmA on 25.

When i touch it it goes tilt and then the needle rest higher than the centerpoint.

Added 2nd pict:

Already few hours constant like this

post-177483-0-18864400-1467007344_thumb.

post-177483-0-71651300-1467007790_thumb.

Edited by George Harmony

http://www.instructables.com/id/Salt-Water-and-Aluminum-Foil-Night-Light/

For those who r really interested in making aluminium air batteries this is an interesting instructable for low power leds like solar garden lights.

The device will operate without maintenance for about a week or so. With maintenance it will operate as long as there is fuel (aluminum) and oxygen. Overall I found this assembly more reliable than the solar lights which generally lose power by about 2 or 3 A.M while the al air run reliably from sundown to sunup.

I found it best to circulate the electrolyte a couple of times a day and replace every two or three days. I replaced the foil once a week and got satisfactory results.

Read also the comments section ☑☑☑??

Ps: What i will try to do is to power the posted lantern b4 with diy batteries. Keep you updated.

post-177483-0-20415600-1467027815_thumb.

• Like 1

Lets look closer to the camping lantern. There is a (pressure)switch not visible from the outside. This switch is on top of the (extra)battery casing underneath. You slide the lamp up and the switch release and thus active.

Not 8 leds as stated on the package but 6.

It would be ideal to try to make diy cells which fit in the (slide)box and make a switch outside ?. Easy then to fill the electrolyte. Must be waterproof then.

post-177483-0-87151300-1467102191_thumb.

post-177483-0-05607100-1467103347_thumb.

• Like 1

nearly finished installing three joule thieves. sent wife to buy ice cube containers for do-it-yourself perpetuum mobile free overunity batteries. i think i need at least three of these batteries to create 80amps per phase.

post-35218-0-19258900-1467369526_thumb.j

post-35218-0-43423400-1467369555_thumb.j

post-35218-0-05503700-1467369582_thumb.j

post-35218-0-86608500-1467369606_thumb.j

Wow @naam, looks good.

Still in process to build 2 extra rooms with each a small bathroom attached to my terrace. Hope that i dont need a setup like @naam. I will very happy if i can realise lighting of these new rooms powered by diy air (water) batteries so i have 1 solar powered small house and one unit with 2 bedrooms with water powered lighting with or without joulethief. But its now fasting month and this week many workers are feee cause wendsday is ramadan ???.

@crossy, be patient for further details (amps+volts) after the so called ramadan. Its holiday time here.

post-177483-0-32762700-1467541288_thumb.

Edited by George Harmony

Bricks are not so expensive here. Saw this in bali and tried to make it. Bricks will be paint with transparant vernis.

Wanted to make a model like 2nd pict. Seems thats more expensive than bricks. Forbidden in your complex to build like 2nd pict hehehe

post-177483-0-89768300-1467547627_thumb.

post-177483-0-05451200-1467547658_thumb.

nearly finished installing three joule thieves. sent wife to buy ice cube containers for do-it-yourself perpetuum mobile free overunity batteries. i think i need at least three of these batteries to create 80amps per phase.

attachicon.gifjoule thieves.JPG

attachicon.gifProg1.JPG

attachicon.gifProg2.JPG

attachicon.gifProg3.JPG

What is that Naam, are that ups systems?

they are voltage stabilisers, one for each phase. when there is a brownout (low voltage) they draw more amps from the grid and provide an output of normal voltage. but of course they have their limits. below 150V grid nothing doing.

more in this thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/916815-low-voltage-single-phase-whole-house-stabilizer-or-get-3-phase-and-split/

Edited by Naam
  • Like 1

i appreciate very much that ugly eyesores like these are not allowed in my moo baan tongue.png

attachicon.gifmortar.jpg

Aha...now i understand what you mean. They will plaster later between the bricks also to make waterproof (same treatment as tiles also).

Part of outside wall already done but not polish and varnish yet. But i agree that the workers here are not so skilled or do not work secure. They want to work fast and usually outside and inside walls will be plastered totally. Unplastered walls you see seldom here unless its a catholic church ??. In bali there are many unplastered buildings.

post-177483-0-00414700-1467561233_thumb.

Edited by George Harmony

And @naam, my shed nearly finished and roof will be covered totally later with solar panels. Just a village style humble shed but its more cheaper if i did finish it totally with bricks only. BUT, forbidden to build such in your moo-bahn??

post-177483-0-47291600-1467603998_thumb.

If we (you).. come up with a useful light or power that would be easy to use , or cheap and not so easy, the university of Hawaii at Hilo has an incubator for new ideas, and "can cut a check for $3,000,000.00" after proof of concept or prototype or something like this.. podcast is available.. to listen to their show about funding new products..

Keep up the good work !

Edited by KonaRain

@ George

God that's Beautiful ..

plus the big advantage that the Magnesium-oxide battery module has a lifetime of not less than 1,735 years, meaning today's buyer doesn't have to worry replacing that beautiful lamp within his/her statistic life expectancy.

gigglem.gif

• Like 1

Before im becoming brain dead because of the very very loud speakers here of the mosques with the same tune shouting for their "allah" nearly the whole day and night cause of the end of fasting i better try to learn sommething from boring youtube.

This is very handy and can be very cheap as a low power source which you can charge from 2 different sources simultaniously, for example solar + water battery.

Also you can charge and discharge at the same time. Such powerbank is very cheap and to clip it open just use a tiny screwdriver. Bye 2 and make this :)

Battery capacity is up to you. Easy to replace with higher(est) amps.

You can connect two lamps, charge 2 hp's etc... (while charging)

post-177483-0-13485500-1467791456_thumb.

Using a usb stepup module:

Few days ago ive received the ordered usb stepup module, as from 0.9v to 5v.

Just tested with a weak aa battery (1.1v) and im able to lightup my 7watt usb bulb and the usb fan is also working.

How about if i charge a 1.2v rehargeable battery with my diy water batteries. I then accomplish my first goal and dont have to worry about joule thiefs. Or is a joule thief more efficient (longer discharge time)?? This i dont know.

If i make a setup like my previous post i can run my fan and lightup a bulb simultaniously. Instead of using 3.7v batteries i will use 1.2 rechargeable batteries as a start (charge with diy cells and solar) ?

Under 1usd such a stepup module incl chargemodule. Amazing.

post-177483-0-78151500-1467871762_thumb.

• Like 1