Government social security system- colonoscopy

davidst01

I work as a teacher in the govt system and thus have the health insurance in the social security system.

Next week I will be having a colonoscopy. I had one a year ago and they cut out a polyp. The biopsy result is attached. Should I be worried about the 'moderate dysplasia?

Ive been having weird pains in my abdomen on and off for months and thus glad to have a followup next week to see if there are anymore a year on.

I dont know how the S.S system works exactly. Does the cost of the colonoscopy get passed back to my workplace at all or is it all just billed to the govt health system?

Its my understanding that the insurance is only intended for emergencies. My case is not exactly an emergency but I am having pain sometimes. The gastro dr is on my side as he is a friend of the wife. I suppose I am more interested in the impact on my works cost centre if any?

cheers

post-139077-0-64811800-1455973696_thumb.

Edited by davidst01

It is not just for emergencies! It is for all your health care needs. And your utilization of it has no impact whatsoever on your place of work.

Everyone covered under Social Security pays into it, it is in effect a subscription system. The Social Security Fund in turn pays a flat capitation amount to hospitals for each SSF patient they have registered, regardless of whether that person receives any medical care. There is no specific billing for care given.

Moderate dysplasia is of less concern than severe, but is an indication for more frequent colonoscopy than would otherwise be the case, e.g. every 5 years as opposed to every 10.