Junta-ruled Thailand flirts with Russia as U.S. ties cool

rooster59

Junta-ruled Thailand flirts with Russia as U.S. ties cool

Thailand is pursuing closer ties - and possible arms deals - with Russia, with relations between Thailand and its traditional partner, the United States, cooling in the wake of a May 2014 coup.

Two Thai deputy prime ministers will travel to Russia, just weeks after a visit to Bangkok by the powerful head of Russia's security council, Nikolai Patrushev.

On the table, officials from both countries say, are wide-ranging talks on trade and security cooperation, as Russia seeks to develop its position as an Asian power.

Most attention has been focused on Thailand's warming ties with China, including talks on a massive rail project and the possible purchase of $1 billion worth of Chinese-made submarines.

Full story: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-thailand-russia-idUSKCN0VT0DG

reuterslogo.jpg
-- Reuters 2016-01-21

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I’m concerned this place has lost it ..it is light years away from the day I first set foot here (Many decades ago)

What the people of this place have allowed over the years is disgusting all down to greed, a lack of interest and indifference.

China, Russia & Thailand all in bed together it makes my head spin …. Its pretty clear who will be on their back while the other 2 rape her…they deserve everything coming to them.

I for one don’t give a damn anymore; for years its not the place I loved plus the people are so dumbed down here its ridiculous .coffee1.gif

Excellent. Thailand turns to Russia which is currently facing serious economic problems and expects what? In case the Thai military administration missed it, the price of oil has crashed. Countries which depended upon oil revenues are hurting. Russia has increased its military spending in a time when it has lost much of its oil revenues. It's not like the Russians have excess money lying around, especially USD which is what the Thais want.

I do find it a bit funny though. Thailand depends on exports to North America and the EU to drive its export economy. Much of Thailand's high value exports go to the west. Russia takes low value exports. If Thailand keeps thumbing its nose at the west with its fishing fleet, human trafficking, intellectual property theft and food safety issues, it may find itself shut out of its most lucrative export markets. facepalm.gif

Edited by geriatrickid

Thailand has dealt with Russia in the past too, this isn't something new, or recent.

The long-term strategy of balancing-off countries & power-groups against one another has always worked for them, but will it continue in the future, that rather depends on the skills of the diplomats & governments, there's always the risk of leaning too far in any one direction.

As far as I’m concerned this place has lost it ..it is light years away from the day I first set foot here (Many decades ago)

What the people of this place have allowed over the years is disgusting all down to greed, a lack of interest and indifference.

China, Russia & Thailand all in bed together it makes my head spin …. Its pretty clear who will be on their back while the other 2 rape her…they deserve everything coming to them.

I for one don’t give a damn anymore; for years its not the place I loved plus the people are so dumbed down here its ridiculous .coffee1.gif

Getting raped by Russia and China or getting raped by the US, not much difference. [emoji4]

"....the people are so dumbed down here its ridiculous ."

And that's just how the rulers want it.

Russia desparately needs foreign currency so the tanks will be sold at a discount. But I would doubt very much that the USA will be concerned because what are the tanks going to be used for, other than the suppression of rebellious Thai citizens.

Tanks are vulnerable as the Afgans discovered when they were fighting the Russians.

Excellent. Thailand turns to Russia which is currently facing serious economic problems and expects what? In case the Thai military administration missed it, the price of oil has crashed. Countries which depended upon oil revenues are hurting. Russia has increased its military spending in a time when it has lost much of its oil revenues. It's not like the Russians have excess money lying around, especially USD which is what the Thais want.

I do find it a bit funny though. Thailand depends on exports to North America and the EU to drive its export economy. Much of Thailand's high value exports go to the west. Russia takes low value exports. If Thailand keeps thumbing its nose at the west with its fishing fleet, human trafficking, intellectual property theft and food safety issues, it may find itself shut out of its most lucrative export markets. facepalm.gif

All true, but the junta doesn't care if it runs this country into the ground as long as their place at the trough is assured. They are really fed up with upstarts who deprive them of some of their "revenue sources", and to add insult to injury the peasantry now actually believe they should have a say in things. The effrontery!

Do some research on the "one belt one road" (New Silk roads) initiatives and understand why and how Thailand could benefit from closer ties with China and Russia.

Getting raped by Russia and China or getting raped by the US, not much difference. [emoji4]

Russia and China are dictatorships with no accountability. They will not only rape- to continue the metaphor, but put her to work in a brothel, along with the underage daughter, too.

America, as corrupted as the Congress may be, does have a mechanism for accountability- it's called free speech.

Edited by Moonsterk

The Asean-US summit set the stage for this to happen. America is grasping to get help and at the same time trying to keep an image of that they are the pillar of democracy. America has made the mistake of letting Asean countries see it desperation. Asean counries thrive on taking advantage of people and things when they are vulnerable, that is where they survive. Obama sold out America finally. There is no turning back. Now Thailand knows America needs them more than Thailand needs America.

Take Thailand out of the picture for America in south east asia and America loses not Thailand. Thailand knows this now for sure and will use it to the max.

Americas greed is coming home to roost.

Thailand has dealt with Russia in the past too, this isn't something new, or recent.

The long-term strategy of balancing-off countries & power-groups against one another has always worked for them, but will it continue in the future, that rather depends on the skills of the diplomats & governments, there's always the risk of leaning too far in any one direction.

Yes. I think that they've leaned too far towards the US and gained NOTHING. If America has decided that it doesn't like Thailand then Thailand should reciprocate and talk to other countries that are friendlier to them!!

Please use discretion in your references to the government. Phrases which can be considered as anti-coup will be removed. Referring to Thailand or the government as a dictatorship, military dictatorship or other such terms will be removed.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/878797-updated-notice-to-members-posting-in-thailand-news/

What ? I have been reading for the past week about how the Asean summit in California was a huge success and how the PM of Thailand and Obama stepped up there relationship, with Obama promising to open new support centers in Thailand to promote and aid foreign investment by US citizens and companies. What gives?

Thailand is starting to act like an old hooker who lost her looks, going after anyone who gives a nod or smile. The US wants one thing only to return the rule of the country back to the people. The Junta seems to be dragging there feet. what Thailand needs to remember is this when Thailand was hit with tragedy who called first to send aid and help? was it Russia? China? or was the US and it's people who opened there hearts and wallets to help. Remember actions speak louder than words. I not just saying US was only one but the UK, Australia and other democratic nations poured in supplies and help not asking for anything in return. Never turn your back on people who will help in times of troubles. Unlike China who's rail deal is mostly meant to benefit China not Thailand. What can Russia do for you teach to run boiler rooms? Or if you return to democracy and allow some flexibility in starting up companies maybe the US companies might look to Thailand to open branches here creating jobs. Free people minds are more open to creative thinking.

A post containing a link to an external news site which contained comments in violation of the below has been removed, please note the part in bold red font:

1) You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any one member of the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution.

By law, the Thai Royal Family are above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.

To breach these rules may result in immediate ban.

Linking to external sites which break these rules will be treated as if you yourself posted them.

Thailand is starting to act like an old hooker who lost her looks, going after anyone who gives a nod or smile.

A very befitting analogy. If it holds, the next step is to start acting aggressively and succumb to mind altering substances.

Easier to get kickbacks from China and Russia than from the West....just saying....

That's essentially the reason. USA has laws against citizens paying bribes to foreign officials. Those that do end up in prison - remember the Thai international film festival bribery case?

So basically all US companies now are at a disadvantage when operating in Thailand against companies from countries that don't care about bribery of foreign officials.

Edited by Time Traveller

To all those posting silly comments about the US not being important to Thailand or not being as important as Russia and China consider the below:

Wikipedia

"Trade

The United States is Thailand's third largest trading partner after Japan and China; in 2006 merchandise imports from Thailand totaled $22.5 billion, and merchandise exports totaled $8.2 billion. The U.S., Japan, Taiwan, Singapore, and the European Union are among Thailand's largest foreign investors. American investment, concentrated in the petroleum and chemicals, finance, consumer products, and automobile production sectors, is estimated at $21 billion."

Now, see this 1280px-US_trade_final-01.svg.png

The US is a mammoth giant in trade. Thailand, despite how much we and Thais love it, is a tiny almost imperceptible mosquito by comparison.

To think the US needs Thailand is a VERY big stretch.

Edited by PaullyW

Russia desparately needs foreign currency so the tanks will be sold at a discount. But I would doubt very much that the USA will be concerned because what are the tanks going to be used for, other than the suppression of rebellious Thai citizens.

Tanks are vulnerable as the Afgans discovered when they were fighting the Russians.

Invading Laos (once you have got across the Mekong), invading Burma and Cambodia (once you have got through the mountains)...putting the frighteners on Issan (if you have the road transporters to get them there), downtown Bangkok (50 year old M24s are good enough for that).

Truly the only difference between the men and the boys is the cost of their toys!

Easier to get kickbacks from China and Russia than from the West....just saying....

That's essentially the reason. USA has laws against citizens paying bribes to foreign officials. Those that do end up in prison - remember the Thai international film festival bribery case?

So basically all US companies now are at a disadvantage when operating in Thailand against companies from countries that don't care about bribery of foreign officials.

Only at a disadvantage to otherwise competitive opponents - like China. China, just via sheer buying population, can buy a bunch of stuff and does. Most of those things are low quality, low margin goods, but at high volume.

The US has been able to effectively counter China despite differences in legislation. TIP is a great example.

The US did new become the world leader in so many areas by being dumb or naive.