Tyre repair?

ryanhull

Hey all,

I am running on 17`s with dunlop 215/40R17 LM703, I have gone over a nail which is flush flat in the tyre, the tyre is still inflated fully and it is in the centre of the wheel so no tears.... anyone know what bquick charge to repair that? I am going to have to drive on the wheel you see slowly in the morning to get it done,

A mate from the UK said those types of repairs are easily done now and it should not cost too much and still be 100% safe,

Anyone had a nailed pulled out and repaied by bquick and know the cost? also anyone know how much they charge to balance the wheels?

Cheers in advance

Never used Bquick.

Somchai on the corner of the traffic lights as you come into Lom Sak was very inexpensive a mere couple of hundred baht.

Cheers bud, I am actually in Isaan so not too sure of Somchai, I assume it will be roughly the same price as you mentioned... was it a quick process and your tyre is still all good? thanks again

Just go to the next local shop to get a fixed, just to the first one from your home. There are literally thousands of them anywhere on a main road. Just look for tires outside a shop and they will fix it. I think last time I paid 150 baht or so for something like this. Took about 10 mins to get it fixed.

Yes....any tire shop, local or otherwise will fix this for a couple of hundred baht. These repairs seem perfectly OK and last. There is even a way of doing it with out taking off the tire.

However i would take the opportunity to get al the wheeled checked over and balanced whilst there.

If they are going to use a tire plug, make sure it is a mushroom style plug, much better is a patch which is installed after removing the tire from the rim. This seals the plug to the inside tire carcass, as well as filling the hole to prevent water intrusion and the rusting of the steel belts within the tire.

If they are going to use a tire plug, make sure it is a mushroom style plug, much better is a patch which is installed after removing the tire from the rim. This seals the plug to the inside tire carcass, as well as filling the hole to prevent water intrusion and the rusting of the steel belts within the tire.

This + a few other reasons is why a plug is a horrible repair....Only a vulcanized patch on the inside is the best way - and should be the only way to repaira tire.....Plug repairs are not legal in most countries as they are a big safety risk often weakening and expanding the injured area of the tire - until blow out - which ususally will hardly ever happen on a tubeless tire.....

I should be real cheap. Every few years I get a nail in my radial tires...I just drive over to a small tire repair shop (Somchai's Shop next to an Esso station), he takes the tire off the wheel, removes the nail, applies a hot patch inside which takes about 10 minutes, remounts it and I'm off to the races again...total time about 20 minutes. Costs somewhere around Bt150. Over the years I had it done a couple of times to Michelin radial tires which I ran until around the 90Km point and with my current Bridgestone radial tires once which I have around 60Km on. Perfectly safe to repair/patch. Now if the puncture is in the "sidewall", that's a different story.

It seems that the "official" line is a "plug patch". I'd say common sense dictates that the tyre is removed. (there are circumstances where an emergency/temporary repair my mean this is not done)

one of the main criticisms of a plug alone is that it may allow water to permeate and corrode the steel in the tyre...I can see this being a major problem in colder climes where salt is used on the roads.

I should be real cheap. Every few years I get a nail in my radial tires...I just drive over to a small tire repair shop (Somchai's Shop next to an Esso station), he takes the tire off the wheel, removes the nail, applies a hot patch inside which takes about 10 minutes, remounts it and I'm off to the races again...total time about 20 minutes. Costs somewhere around Bt150. Over the years I had it done a couple of times to Michelin radial tires which I ran until around the 90Km point and with my current Bridgestone radial tires once which I have around 60Km on. Perfectly safe to repair/patch. Now if the puncture is in the "sidewall", that's a different story.

"Now if the puncture is in the "sidewall", that's a different story." - agreed and on the edge of the tread....or over 1/4 inch

Oh yea, I just remembered, I've done it twice on my current BridgeStone tires also. The 2nd time was about 6 months ago when I had my Toyota Fortuner at the Totyota Dealership for its 150Km checkup....I now have around 160Km.

When have the SUV up on the life the mechanics noticed a nail in one of the tires and just fixed it while I watched from the waiting lounge which has big glass windows to allow to you to watch the ongoing work. They just used the plug method without removing the tire to do the hotpatch approach. I watched them as they pulled out the nail, repeatedly put spit on the hole to see if any air was leaking, was no air leaking as I could easily see what was going on only about 4 meters away, but they decided to plug-patch it anyway. For a few seconds I almost ran out and said No, do a hotpatch, but since the small nail was in the high part of the thread, it didn't show an leaking air, it was the Toyota dealership which does do good work, and they had a hard time putting the patch in probably because the nail didn't puncture all the way through, I didn't run out and stop them.

The tire is still doing fine...can't even see where the plug was put....and like I said that was around 6 months/10Km ago. Yes, I realize hotpatch are generally considered better/safer like talked about at various websites such as:

http://www.carsdirect.com/car-repair/tire-repair-tire-patch-vs-plug

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=77

Edited by Pib

What you described (center of running surface) is easily done by about every big workshop that specializes in tires.

A solid work (unmount tire, repair from inside) is about 150 Baht.

There is primitive way of putting a "rubber cork" from outside.

Would not recommend that.

Ask first.

As an example a shop near Khon Kaen where I had such a repair:

https://goo.gl/maps/vAhWydEzhG82

(don't be fooled by "truck service center", most jobs they did were on limousines)

Such kind of shops should be found in about every district in Isan.

Edited by KhunBENQ

It seems that the "official" line is a "plug patch". I'd say common sense dictates that the tyre is removed. (there are circumstances where an emergency/temporary repair my mean this is not done)

one of the main criticisms of a plug alone is that it may allow water to permeate and corrode the steel in the tyre...I can see this being a major problem in colder climes where salt is used on the roads.

The plug creates a high spot on the tire - it is a wedge pressed into the tire to stop the leak....

Every time the tire rotates and comes down and this area absorbs the weight of the vehicle it causes that area of the tire to flex which over time creates a weak spot on that tire.....You also have air trying to escape from the inside and with the flex tread separation likely to occur....All because someone repaired the tire incorrectly.....A patch on the inside does not create this stress on the area of the radial that in essence gives the tire it's strength/backbone.....

I toured a Goodyear plant once....They broke down every returned failed tire for cause and effect and read the tires inside out with amazing results once explained....

Plugs were a big problem tire failure wise ----> And easily "read" and traced back to by these experts....

Modern tires are really a miracle of product engineering....Their biggest enemy is heat - of which we have plenty here....Plugs only hasten problems......

I wouldn't repair the tyre, probably too expensive, just continue driving on the flat tire and inflate it every day.

It did not deflate if you reas my post, why would you drive on a flat and inflate it everyday? seems like DELETED advice but cheers anyway

---

Just incase anyone else is wondering, I went to bquick, they did the repair and balanced the wheels for 500 and I even got a free bottle of water smile.png

Cheers all

Edited by seedy
troll / flaming

The plug creates a high spot on the tire - it is a wedge pressed into the tire to stop the leak....

Every time the tire rotates and comes down and this area absorbs the weight of the vehicle it causes that area of the tire to flex which over time creates a weak spot on that tire.....You also have air trying to escape from the inside and with the flex tread separation likely to occur....All because someone repaired the tire incorrectly.....A patch on the inside does not create this stress on the area of the radial that in essence gives the tire it's strength/backbone.....

I toured a Goodyear plant once....They broke down every returned failed tire for cause and effect and read the tires inside out with amazing results once explained....

Plugs were a big problem tire failure wise ----> And easily "read" and traced back to by these experts....

Modern tires are really a miracle of product engineering....Their biggest enemy is heat - of which we have plenty here....Plugs only hasten problems......

It always amazes me that a tire can rotate thousands of times on a road surface like a cheese grater and still manage to survive 40 or 50,000klms before replacement. Like you say, a modern miracle.

Yes...I think you'll find things have moved on a bit since then.

So - what exactly has moved on since then?

1- the fact that a plug is a wedge either manually pushed into the hole or shot with a plug gun from the outside of the tire?

2- the fact that it creates a bigger injured area over time in the belt area with rotation/use?

3- the fact that they cause inner liner separation that causes failures that quite often cannot be seen from the outside?

Or can cause a belt separation that might be noticed from the outside visually or by steering vibration?

4- the fact that it is illegal in many places for a professional to plug a tire? Although kits are sold in diy type auto supplies....

5- the fact that if a tire is found to be plugged the factory warranty is no longer honored if/when the tire is inspected? The consumer might not see this - it would be the tire dealer taking the loss for not inspecting....

6- that if a tire is repairable a patch on the inside is a better and safer repair?

What has changed or moved on?

1- the fact that a plug is a wedge either manually pushed into the hole or shot with a plug gun from the outside of the tire?

2- the fact that it creates a bigger injured area over time in the belt area with rotation/use?

3- the fact that they cause inner liner separation that causes failures that quite often cannot be seen from the outside?

Or can cause a belt separation that might be noticed from the outside visually or by steering vibration?

4- the fact that it is illegal in many places for a professional to plug a tire? Although kits are sold in diy type auto supplies....

5- the fact that if a tire is found to be plugged the factory warranty is no longer honored if/when the tire is inspected? The consumer might not see this - it would be the tire dealer taking the loss for not inspecting....

6- that if a tire is repairable a patch on the inside is a better and safer repair?

Just about all of it.....why not get rid of the ladybird pocket book of tyre repairs and check out the latest self vulcanising plug/patches - glad you're nowhere near my tires...

Just about all of it.....why not get rid of the ladybird pocket book of tyre repairs and check out the latest self vulcanising plug/patches - glad you're nowhere near my tires...

If I smell a pungent odor walking around a parking lot it'll either be from your car or a preceding dog....

B-quik plugged mine for free.

Back in the UK this is seen as a temporary fix and not done by service shops anymore, and so it follows after a couple of months my tyre started leaking again.

I then took it to cockpit where they removed the tyre and fitted a patch - a permanent fix - for 350b

So far so good

B-quik plugged mine for free.

Back in the UK this is seen as a temporary fix and not done by service shops anymore, and so it follows after a couple of months my tyre started leaking again.

I then took it to cockpit where they removed the tyre and fitted a patch - a permanent fix - for 350b

So far so good

Plug repairs are perfectly legal in the UK as long as they comply to the appropriate British Standard...they are also permenant.

External plugs are just a get you home measure.

Edited by cumgranosalum

When I was a kid, I worked in a Firestone tire store. I plugged hundreds of tires and NEVER had a problem. The plugs are maybe 2 inches long and a quarter inch in diameter. You removed the plastic wrapper, inserted it into the insertion tool, dipped it into a can of solvent and pushed it through the hole. I always dipped the insertion tool into the solvent and pushed it through first to coat the inside of the hole. Then you cut the plug off flush with the tread and you were finished. When you changed the tire, the inside where the plug was at looked like a small mushroom head because of where the plug was folded in half. For big truck or tractor tires, plugs obviously wouldn't work. They were all tube types anyways. For cuts we used what we called a boot. They were put on the inside of the tire and hot vulcanized. I saved many an expensive tire with various sized boots.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update you all, it did strangely go down over night... I pumped it back up and it stays up at about 32psi, I like them set to 34psi but this wheel will always instantly drop to 32psi.... shame really as they are decent tyres but definitly time to replace it. You can also hear a slight knocking sound from the tyre which is not ideal... to be quite honest I wish I had left the steelies on, 17`s on a swift is a bit pointless. Cheers

The knock sound from your tire can have 2 main reasons.

- Reason 1: one of the lug nuts isn't torqued correctly so you need to ask the shop that you visited to torque them correctly.

Ask them to use a torque wrench.

- Reason 2: one of the seals of your tires might be broken or defect. In that case they need to replace your tires.

- Reason 1: one of the lug nuts isn't torqued correctly so you need to ask the shop that you visited to torque them correctly.

- Reason 2: one of the seals of your tires might be broken or defect. In that case they need to replace your tires.

There's a few other possibilities - cv/brake click/pebble/new screw or nail - but in any case a rotional noise needs to be checked out ASAP....As the previous poster has noted there might be a tread or internal separation in the tire.....Which is one of the flaws with plugging.....

Ever see a shredded tire scattered across the highway = separation....

There's a few other possibilities - cv/brake click/pebble/new screw or nail - but in any case a rotional noise needs to be checked out ASAP....As the previous poster has noted there might be a tread or internal separation in the tire.....Which is one of the flaws with plugging.....

Ever see a shredded tire scattered across the highway = separation....

I think it is fairly clear that your knowledge of tires and tire repair is pretty outdated, and to suggest that "separation" is the largely result of plugging on the tires you see shredded around Thailand or any other country is just not supportable - there are many causes of this and in Thailand v (and elsewhere) it is primarily commercial vehicles and the result of overloading and poorly maintained tires