Two Thai girls seriously injured in horrific fairground accident

webfact

An accident occurs --------------cue the Thai bashing comment.

To read some of these comments one would believe such occurrences never occur in the West ------------------------

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2015/jun/02/alton-towers-rollercoaster-accident-four-seriously-hurt-as-carriages-collide

Read the link and indulge in some "farang" bashing smile.png

Why not check the quantity of each countries accident rate first before accusing of Thai bashing?

Why don't you provide the figures if you wish to make a point ?

Why don't you express your thoughts of working with Thai mechanics for a decade?

"Look's like the bolt snapped" ,

"Yep, say its the Myanmar workers fault, I'm going for a dump in the toilet, where's the Guardian, ahh, soft but very strong"

post-221427-14561278960423_thumb.jpg

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Safety first ?

Its only a sign in front of most construction sites here in Chiang Mai. Go out in the boonies and its sandals and straw hats and loose fitting shirts that are really magnets for machinery to grab. Life here is a constant cartoon but also dangerous for your health like in this case and the bungie jumping case and the high wire holiday. Go with God. Life here does give you religion.

We hired a professional logistics company to deliver some heavy but delicate equipment two floors above street level. They provided me with a DVD showing their workers wearing helmets, safety boots etc with mobile cranes. Come the night of the delivery my engineer witnessed Somchai and his mates manhandling it up the stairs in their sandals with no PPE or cranes in sight. Each of the crates worth over $100000 but may pen aray if they dropped one!

I was at a fairground with some close Thai friends... I saw the ferris wheel looking very dilapidated. I took a couple of photo's of rusted bolts and areas where the bolts were missing and showed them to my friend when his son wanted to go on the ride.

I also showed them to his son, who after looking at the photos was smart enough not to want to go on the ride anymore.

Needless to say, nothing happened that evening... but its a good example of why I'll never let my Child go on any of those fairground rides in Thailand.

Due to completely carelessness a lack of responsibility and culpability these rides are an accident waiting to happen... it really is a shame, however, its also fortunate that there aren't more accidents.

I think you right but it counters another posters reactions that this happens all over the world. Are these rides free or must you pay for your pain?

To read some of these comments one would believe such occurrences never occur in the West ------------------------

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2015/jun/02/alton-towers-rollercoaster-accident-four-seriously-hurt-as-carriages-collide

Yes it happens in the west but not to the same degree as here. You must know having lived here that there are basically no safety standards here and that most companies cut corners to save a buck. There is no foresfight about safety period because there are no ramifications for and nobody from the appropriate agencies that come and inspect facilities. There are laws and regulations on the books here, but they are not enforced.

Anybody here with kids, never let your kids ride any mobile carnival rides here in Thailand.

These fairs are death traps, equipment which is 40 years old, no safety standards or overseeing of regular maintenance checks to ensure everything is working well. As per usual, a lax attitude where money comes first and safety comes second. TIT

It only looks 40 years old because they never maintain it. In reality it's only 2 years old. 55555. Safety? That's for p_ussy boys wink.png

Simply put a sign at the entrance.."Ride at your own Risk" That's that...stop complaining when things go wrong. Seems more and more apparent that this forum is composed of complainers, couch potatoes, so-called retirees who've just put in their time and sit in front of a monitor all day and social-media-police who love policing others.

Two seriously injured in ferries wheel accident

NAKHON PHANOM: -- An 11-year old girl and a woman were seriously injured when a carriage in which they were riding accidentally disconnected from a ferries wheel and crashed onto the ground at the Phra That Phanom fair in Nakhon Phanom Sunday night.

The girl, identified as Ms Siriwan Latbasri, suffered a fractured skull, a broken arm and internal bleeding whereas her relative, 19-year old Ms Penpicha Latbasri, also suffered a fractured skull.

Both were immediately rushed to Somdet Phra Yupparaj hospital in That Phanom district for emergency medical treatment.

Police said that the ferries wheel was operated by Star Nasa company. The wheel is about seven metres from the ground and it has eight carriages. Only the carriage ridden by the two victims disconnected and crashed onto the ground.

The girl’s father, Mr Mongkol, told police that they were waiting at the foot of the ferries wheel videotaping the machine with his smartphone. After just 1-2 minutes since the wheel started moving, he said the carriage fell onto the ground.

Police later detained the operator of the wheel, Mr Suvit Seripong, for questioning. It was suspected that two of the four screws which held the carriage with a hand of the wheel broke.

The company said that it had an insurance with Viriya insurance company and promised to take care of the two victims’ medical expenses.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/151868

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-02-22

I went to Dreamworld when it first opened. most of the rides were from old carny rides from my childhood. In other words Deathtraps. When I see these fly by night seasonal carnivals here I just shake my head.

I have dealt with local workmen in so many instances over so many years that I cannot disagree with everybody freaking out "Thais are stupid and cannot or will not learn any safety precautions or the importance of quality checks, and responsibility... and so on and on." It is true. I agree.

Having said that, all the rides I have seen here are similar to ones I saw when I was a kid or before that! Think 1970s or earlier!

If they are as old as they look, it is no wonder they don't fall apart MORE OFTEN!

Rollercoasters and 'carny rides' break down in every country in the world and people get injured or die. Fewer get injured nowadays and as time goes by despite the fact that rides go faster and higher because there are safety controls in place. But if you look around you can see crashes similar to this in any country. I have seen / heard of / read about them.

Nothing to do with failure of equipment. The health & safety here is ridiculous. The Alton Towers accident (first one ever I might point out) was due to human error, not faulty mechanics!

But yea.... the stupid falang operating the ride will get a bashing! about 7 years in jail.... guaranteed

When I was there early in the week for the purpose of the temple, we were walking and I saw a ride being put together and I mentioned to my partner that I would never ride any such rides if this was how they were all put together. A catastrophe just waiting to happen, and no doubt, no such thing as OSH or safety inspections in this country. 'It is Thailand, nothing like that ever happens here."

I believe part of the issue here is the stunningly low amount of pride, in a job well done. For some reason, in most quarters here, that is just something that is not taught. I find this in carpenters, plumbers, electricians, maintenance people, managers, mechanics, etc. For some reason, it is just not part of their nature to want to do it right the first time, and to take satisfaction in a job that is done well, and done right. I am sure there are exceptions. And I would bet the majority of the time they either learned it overseas, or from a foreigner.

The secondary consideration is the government's complete and utter refusal to put into place real safety standards. Same with traffic safety, and the weak policing. Same with construction. Just really minor standards, that for the most part, are not enforced.

When I grew up, my parents instilled in me the pride that comes from doing a job well. I have that to this day. And they also gave me a sense of satisfaction in selling something, or providing something that was a high quality product or service, that would not result in problems for the end user. There does not seem to be much sense of that here. In the case of Japanese products, that are sold by Thais, I think there is probably some training from their Japanese manufacturers, and they get a sense of this. Otherwise, forget about it.

Its amazing how many experts are on this forum, I owned and operated one of these OCTOPUS rides for a number of years (a 1940s version)

There is and always was a weakness in the Arm Carrier bolts, We changed ours to 80 tonne bolts sourced through Caterpillar.(never broke another one)

It also has the chains to guard against the arm (in event of a failure) hitting another arm, an upgrade we did in the 80s. although the drive system is very old

ie 40s 50s system we upgraded to hydraulics in the 70s. On viewing the footage it would appear the arm locator bolt broke allowing the arm to move far enough sideways that it either hit the ground or more likely the drive control rod wrenching it to a stop and probably breaking the second arm locator bolt.

The operator did all he could to stop the ride in as shorter time possible the ride turns at 8rpm and counter rotates at 4 rpm.

The operator would have risked having his wrists broken performing the emergency stop.

These are a very good and safe ride when operated properly, we personally never had an accident in over 20 years of operation. they were built in the USA and over engineered which has given them an excellent lifespan with good maintenance and upgrades they will perform for a long time yet.

There is a lot of talk on standards and I admit after looking at some carnival equipment in Thailand at being less than impressed but there must be some standards being set and adhered to as the anti clash chains on this particular device only came into being in the 70s so they would have been installed in Thailand unless this machine had been sourced second had since that upgrade came along.

Yes sadly they do, but there is always a full enquiry after,and usually someone is liable, and pays the price . Will that scenario happen here NO WAY. Not Thai bashing these poor kids have been bashed enough with no comeback.

i don't understand the lack of objectivity on this forum. Doesn't anyone remember that kids used to work in coal mines in the UK not that long ago. Has anyone been for a trip to India? Thailand is a civilized, modern-ising (sic) society, and sure it has a ways to go but i can make that statement about any so called world leading best practice nation. Look what happened in Sydney in 1979...

The Sydney Ghost Train fire was a fire on the night of 9 June 1979 at Luna Park Sydney. The fire destroyed the amusement park's ghost train, and killed six children and one adult. Wikipedia

I can remember taking a ride on this train as a teenager, just after i started my electrical fitting apprenticeship and not long before this tragedy. My mate and i couldn't believe the state it was in., It was a time bomb that no-one did a thing about until it was too late.

Couldn't happen again today?

My 2 Baht

What do you expect from a 3rd world country,when ever you say do it this way oh no we do it this way then when it breaks again they do it all over again.

Except this article relates to an incident that occurred in Thailand - which is not a 3rd world country.

No competent folks setting it up, I reckon. It's like those times when you return home and see some repairman in shower shoes and shorts repairing the lift in your 20 storey apartment building.

And why no officials tasked to check the equipment before it starts taking riders?

If they had someone appointed to check it would they know what they were checking and looking for?