British backpacker Grace Taylor missing in Thailand

webfact

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest I find this a little worrying not about the lady missing (which is bad enough) but I would have thought that with the news of murders of Brits here she would have reconsidered and come to Thailand in a group, assuming there are groups of back packers. But I don't think that it's just Thailand and in my opinion the World is not a safe place these days. So I think it's a little negative to 'down' Thailand on this as I'm sure other places offer problems to singles back packing. I do hope she can get to some safe place and phone home.

Sounds like either someone spiked her drink or she consumed willingly mushrooms or MDMA which will have you in a disorientated state and paranoid thinking people are wanting to harm you. You are hallucinating in fantasy unlike the intense visions of reality as with Ayahuasca. I hope she is founded unharmed , in sound body and mind.

I hope she is safe and sound.

On a side note The British newspapers seem to be constantly reporting negative news from Thailand.

I wonder how many Brits are put off coming here with all that negativity.

"The British newspapers seem to be constantly reporting negative news from Thailand." - I wonder why that is?? What are you trying to say? Perhaps you think they shouldn't report anything?

THe British are the second largest group European visitors to Thailand after Russians.

maybe you'd care to list the "negative news" items they have reported.

Begin with this missing girl

then how about the death of a British guy on Koh tao, and the murder of 2 Brits on that island....maybe you'd care to complete the list?

Well, somebody has to report this sort of news. What do you want them to do? Ignore the news, as the Thai media outlets tend to do? This kind of news is helpful. It is also one of the reasons why Western tourism is down. It is not just the British media that is reporting this. The Dark Tao news was reported worldwide. The recent arrest of the elderly folks playing bridge in Pattaya was reported worldwide. The recent detainment of 30 folks in Pattaya and 100 folks in Chiang Mai for not carrying their passports was reported worldwide. The incompetency of the Thai police and the government is reported worldwide. So are the jet ski scams, the airline safety issues, the lack of traffic safety, the astonishing mortality rate of foreigners (including Brits) who ride on motorbikes within Thailand, and especially on Samui, and many other issues here.

Sounds like either someone spiked her drink or she consumed willingly mushrooms or MDMA which will have you in a disorientated state and paranoid thinking people are wanting to harm you. You are hallucinating in fantasy unlike the intense visions of reality as with Ayahuasca. I hope she is founded unharmed , in sound body and mind.

You've never taken MDMA, have you?

im a man but when I was 21 I would not have travelled to somewhere like Thailand alone and for a young girl to do this I think your asking for trouble, hope they find her alive and well.

As a 61 year old man I travelled Thailand alone. Travelled there for four months. Alone. And had a wonderful amazing time. Lots of single travellers in the world travelling south east Asia, Philippines, travelling India. Travelling Europe.

Just use common sense...keep away from trouble areas. Listen to your instincts. Friends asked me why would I go and travel alone. I could die in south east Asia.

My response was that, yes... that is a possibility. I could lose my life there. ... But that I would die someday also if I stayed in Canada. Might also die in a bad accident on the way to the airport. But in my 60's.... since I still have health and strength, if I want to see something of the world, I have to do it sooner rather than later.

Do they think we will live forever if we stay home and not see the world ? Do they believe they will live forever if they never leave home ? ?

I do think it better however for girls to travel in groups of three or more. I met group of four girls in their late teens or early 20's on a songthaew one day in Chiang Mai. They had been away from home for more than a year already... travelling the world.

Edited by Catoni

Sounds like sudden onset of paranoid schizophrenia. Possibly triggered by drugs, but thats beside the point.

There is always a percentage of people that suffer from this condition, among common triggers are change in environment. She is at the right age to start suffering from this. Truly terrifying, worse than a bad acid trip. Hope she makes it home safe and gets good treatment.

I just do not understand why they come here alone,they must be crazy

... or why her family in the UK did not dissuade her from doing so as well !

Family and friends tried to dissuade me, told me I could die over there. (they had never been anywhere in their lives except for camping trips up north)

Didn't work. I flew to the other side of the world and went to Thailand anyways. Damn happy that I did. Why die at home as an old man that never went anywhere? I'd rather die on the road while seeing the world..

not understand why people backpack and expect all is the same around the world. the want adventure and think one can control all or even travel alone. Abroad is not the same as home. but people think it is

Even at home things are not secure so why expect that it is abroad?

event tough if you have a smart phone with GPS tracking or a GPS tracker it not help you when you run into differences of respect or culture. That is untold other site of backpacking adventure and tourism.

Again very sad story and hope the girl gets home.

Edited by Autonuaq

Why oh why do young people think there bullet proof....Especially in the current climate in Thailand where either the incidents have escalated or just we are all hearing about them more often I don't know but nobody, and I repeat nobody should be traveling alone to Thailand. There's been enough red flags for a few years now and while I'm all for young people doing what young people do and taking year out etc and using it for seeing the world it can't be that hard to hook up with others and look after each other. The,it's not going to happen to me attitude is not a good one.. Hope and pray this ends up okay and the family meet up with her very shortly after arriving.

Yes.... young people often think there [sic] bullet proof. Young people often think they're invulnerable... or that bad things only happen to the next person.

Still wet behind the ears and wanting to do South East Asia. In my eyes it is more like scoring on Facebook or the like.

One of them (18) just stayed in my(?) hotel. A total nitwit, not interested in any info I was trying to give her and spending most of the time on her tablet.

Her parents pushed her to go. I hope she finds her nest again.

As for me, I am an old fart shaking my head.

I lived in Mae Sot for two years. Mae Sot is on the border of Myanmar and is a mixture of Thai and Burmese, legal and illegal. Women used to wonder, why they were attacked by local Burmese, while they are out in the bush, in the middle of the night, while they are riding their push bikes, drunk as skunks....stupid!!

I am thinking this girl is either on the run or had a bad trip. Letting your 21 year old daughter got to backpack in Thailand, on her own, is flat out stupid!!!

Where is Swanage?

Who dresses you in the morning? You expect TV posters to do your Google searches for you?

555555555555555 Love it AD---cheesy.gifcheesy.gif This is about the third post with the same Q,but this reply is No1clap2.gifclap2.gif

However that is superficial.The problem is what has happened to Grace.I hope with all my might she turns up live and well------ Come on Grace--give Mum and Dad a call !!!

She needs to contact her family immediately, but maybe she is on drugs and is sleeping and getting a tattoo.

Her parents need to give her good talking to about responsibility .....

If someone is following her she should just meet up with a group and make new friends, then she will be safer.

Well first thing first i hope it all turns out ok but something doesn't sit right on this story.. One minute she missing in Pattaya then re appears in Ao Nang about 1000km away then phones home a bit stressed and doesn't turn up for a flight, yet the back packing community (who obviously know about the ongoing media concerns) just report that 'Yes Iv seen her and she seems disorientated' and leaves it at that no thought of helping her phone home, go to the police etc..

Sorry but seems to me that some kind of island backpacker drugs are involved (yabba, mushroom shakes, strong weed) and she having a paranoia period, i mean if you are backpacking round thailand on your own and think somebody is following you and going to cause you harm the first thing you do is go to the police and/or get the hell out of there.

But as a i say home its a happy ending to the story.

British backpacker missing and 'disorientated' in Thailand
STAFF WRITER

grace-taylor-missing-thailand.jpg
Featured image is of Grace and is via Sam Taylor’s Facebook page

BANGKOK: -- 21-year old Grace Taylor has been declared a missing person this past week after going under the radar while travelling in Thailand.

Grace, originally from Dorset in the UK, had been staying at a hostel in Pattaya when she lost contact with her parents back in the UK on 16 February.

She managed to make contact with her parents on the morning of 22 February (UK time), telling her mother that she was very stressed and frightened, believing that people were intending to hurt her.

Reported sightings of Grace by other backpackers in Thailand appear to confirm that she was disorientated and “not in a good mental state”.

By this point, Grace had made it to Ao Nang in Krabi province and her parents duly booked her a flight out of Krabi airport for a few hours later after they managed to calm her down over the phone.

Although it’s known that Grace did arrive at the airport, she has since gone missing again and didn’t board her flight. Family members are now jetting to Thailand from the UK in a bid to find her.

Full story: http://whatsonsukhumvit.com/british-backpacker-missing-and-disorientated-in-thailand/

whats-on-sukhumvit.png
-- (c) What's on Sukhumvit 2016-02-23

What I don't get is why people are stupid enough to let their kids come backpacking in this hovel in the 1st place..... Helllloooo read a newspaper or is there world wide media ban on reporting about Thailand's death toll of forieners?....

Let me asure you a trip to Thailand is a dam sight safer than 2 weeks in Ibiza of for that matter a night out in Manchester of any other British City.

I can equate to this...though there is no last bus home here, like in Manchester!

Ibiza is a big toilet which gets flushed now and again, only to fill up and block once more...

But I hope she is ok, keeping her head low (shamefully perhaps) and will be ok once the dust settles.

What I don't get is why people are stupid enough to let their kids come backpacking in this hovel in the 1st place..... Helllloooo read a newspaper or is there world wide media ban on reporting about Thailand's death toll of forieners?....

Kids, she is 21.......Stupid

Letting your 21 year old daughter got to backpack in Thailand, on her own, is flat out stupid!!!

Gimme a break. 21 is adult, treating your 21 yo as a child is flat out stupid.

Hey Chief.....A naive(and I am sure she is), 21 year old, backpacking "ALONE', on likely her first trip to Asia, is bloody stupid........Thailand isn't La-La Land...

just another twit who thinks she can come over to southeast asia alone singing cum ba ya with a back pack and everything will be alright! no sympathy here! these idiots NEVER learn!this happens every year! you people are coming over to a land that will cut your throat on a whim! and take all your pitiful belongings as well!

what an asinine post.

the likes that it has garnered also indicate what a miserable lot some people here are.

your lack of emapthy aside, you you know nothing of this woman.