Pound heads sharply lower on Brexit concerns

webfact

attachicon.gifz.png

Okay, rght now, it's 2.00 P.M., after lunch, Thursday, 21st April.

The pound is at US$1.443. That's 1.443 dollars to a pound.

Either, the markets reckon that Britain is staying IN the EU, or, they reckon that a Brexit (if it happens) is not going to harm the pound that much. Good. None of us wants to see the pound crash.

Its the first one. The markets for the moment think that BREXIT is looking like a dead parrot. The second 'either'? In your dreams.

I wonder how you know this , not being awkward or anything ,but is this what you think ,or are you in "the buisness" so to speak , just interested .

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

attachicon.gifz.png

Either, the markets reckon that Britain is staying IN the EU, or, they reckon that a Brexit (if it happens) is not going to harm the pound that much. Good. None of us wants to see the pound crash.

Its the first one. The markets for the moment think that BREXIT is looking like a dead parrot. The second 'either'? In your dreams.

I wonder how you know this , not being awkward or anything ,but is this what you think ,or are you in "the buisness" so to speak , just interested .

Following the financial channels CNBC and Bloomberg and reading the FT is a good way to track things. Once the forthcoming vote appeared over the horizon, the risk and fear of BREXIT and the resultant uncertainty cast a baleful eye over sterling. As the markets have digested the news feeds and considered both the polls and betting odds, there has been some relaxation as the threat is seen to recede, but cannot count chickens quite yet. On an easier level there is hardly anyone out there suggesting that BREXIT will do anything positive for sterling. In short it is not exactly rocket science and one hardly needs to be an active FX trader or stocks trader to work out what's what.

attachicon.gifz.png

Following the financial channels CNBC and Bloomberg and reading the FT is a good way to track things. Once the forthcoming vote appeared over the horizon, the risk and fear of BREXIT and the resultant uncertainty cast a baleful eye over sterling. As the markets have digested the news feeds and considered both the polls and betting odds, there has been some relaxation as the threat is seen to recede, but cannot count chickens quite yet. On an easier level there is hardly anyone out there suggesting that BREXIT will do anything positive for sterling. In short it is not exactly rocket science and one hardly needs to be an active FX trader or stocks trader to work out what's what.

But the same was said when we were "invited" to join the Euro, and there are lots of people out there saying it will not be a disaster ,,(I read the the financial papers as well)

Just looked at Forex

GBP continuing to strengthen

I think that Boris and Gove (he's a bit odd) are starting to look like a busted flush. (Or a dead parrot to paraphrase another poster)

We heard the MD of JD Weatherspoons on Hardtalk today. What a tosser. He supports Brexit and was thoroughly debagged by Steven Sakur. No it's nearly over now....?

The Beano is not a financial paper, neither is the Eagle or the Dandy.laugh.png

Interesting choice of literature CM.

Mirrors the EU perfectly.

The Dandy and Eagle now defunct and the Beano heading down the plughole.

The Beano's weekly circulation in April 1950 was 1,974,072; it currently sells slightly over 31,000 copies per week.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beano

The Beano's weekly circulation in April 1950 was 1,974,072; it currently sells slightly over 31,000 copies per week.

I think he was being a teeny bit ironic

Is irony on wiki?

Oh good it is

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony

Edited by Grouse

But the same was said when we were "invited" to join the Euro, and there are lots of people out there saying it will not be a disaster ,,(I read the the financial papers as well)

This discussion is less about the general pros and cons of the EU, but rather the implications and impact on sterling in the markets. If the market judges increased uncertainty or likelihood of BREXIT happening then sterling takes a bath. Bottom line? BREXIT is bad for sterling-based expats.

I think he was being a teeny bit ironic

Is irony on wiki?

Oh good it is

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony

Just being humorous that's all and trying to lighten up a fairly straight and serious topic - I do know that IC is actually quite a serious reader at times.

Just looked at Forex

GBP continuing to strengthen

I think that Boris and Gove (he's a bit odd) are starting to look like a busted flush. (Or a dead parrot to paraphrase another poster)

We heard the MD of JD Weatherspoons on Hardtalk today. What a tosser. He supports Brexit and was thoroughly debagged by Steven Sakur. No it's nearly over now....?

It's interesting that Boris has only managed to get his speeches/articles published in The Sun, it looks as though the other broadsheets or serious papers have largely ignored him so there's not much doubt which side the owners are on.