Summary after three days in Phuket/Khao Lak

invisible999

So a receptionist tells you you should pay for something broken

she has no official hotel price list

they do not have your credit card info

What's holding you? Say f off and leave.

You basically fell for something even more common than a Nigerian King. Nothing to do with the hotel, just with a couple staff that have not been reported

Look. I am not a confrontational person and really do not want to make a scene and fit into description of 'ugly westerner' by making scenes at foreign countries.

As I said - if I had time, I either would request to speak to the manager or find some other way. But see - we have a flight coming, my wife is already on edge with this, her voice already changed, I know that situation goes from bad to worse and I need quick resolution of this matter. What would you do?

If they asked the ridiculous amount like 1200B for a beach towel mentioned above, I'd tell my wife to go and sit in the car and tell receptionist that I will bring money and would just simply drive car off.

P.S. More reviews are coming at TA and seems accusing departing guests with missing/breaking something is well established business. And that's in a brand new hotel claiming to be 4-start and charging $125/night:

"The final twist was that Upon checkout we were accused of being one teaspoon short!! No, not joking"

https://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/ShowUserReviews-g1224250-d9776398-r349362582-Surin_Beach_Resort-Choeng_Thale_Thalang_District_Phuket.html

Edited by invisible999

Hey, OP. Could you imagine doing your trip WITHOUT a hire car???? smile.png

It is possible, but I'd say expenses would be higher, let me list all the trips I've had with the car with potential expenses:

Day 1 (arrival):

- Arrival from the airport to the hotel - 750B

- round trip to Kamala to get the street food - 600B

Day 2:

- go to 7-11 at surin, round trip - 500B

- go to Kamala to check massage places - 600B

Day 3:

- day trip around the island, took about 10 hours, probably 2000B with a driver

- round trip to Surin to get the street food - 500B

Day 4:

- Day trip to Khao Lak - it was 250km, visiting waterfalls, beaches and just driving around. Took more than 10h. No idea how much it would cost but my estimation is about 5000B

Day 5:
- go to the airport - 750B
Total - 11200THB or US $315 just for transportation. My expenses were 5000THB including 800THB zero liability insurance and full tank of gas. So less than half of that amount.
Edited by invisible999

Hey, OP. Could you imagine doing your trip WITHOUT a hire car???? smile.png

It is possible, but I'd say expenses would be higher, let me list all the trips I've had with the car with potential expenses:

Day 1 (arrival):

- Arrival from the airport to the hotel - 750B

- round trip to Kamala to get the street food - 600B

Day 2:

- go to 7-11 at surin, round trip - 500B

- go to Kamala to check massage places - 600B

Day 3:

- day trip around the island, took about 10 hours, probably 2000B with a driver

Day 4:

- Day trip to Khao Lak - it was 250km, visiting waterfalls, beaches and just driving around. Took more than 10h. No idea how much it would cost but my estimation is about 5000B

Day 5:
- go to the airport - 750B
Total - 11200THB or US $315 just for transportation. My expenses were 5000THB including 800THB zero liability insurance and full tank of gas. So less than half of that amount.

Now can you understand why independent travelers are not coming to Phuket in the numbers that they used to?

Transport is the tourist's biggest expense on Phuket.

Such a great island, with many nice places and activities to do, and nightlife, but if getting around to them all comes at a ridiculous cost, people don't bother.

We are really seeing the independent tourist vote with their baht now and going elsewhere.

We are really seeing the independent tourist vote with their baht now and going elsewhere.

I think more people use rentals, better it would be for competition. The problem as I see is that Phuket already has a reputation where one should not drive, but I'd rather drive in Phuket with rental car than in Vietnam.

Secondly - I know that this might sound evil, but I prefer that certain category of people from West (and Australia) continue going to Phuket and Pattaya and not pollute with their presence other places. Unfortunately they are already in large numbers at Siem Reap and Kuta. Avoid.

I think more people use rentals, better it would be for competition. The problem as I see is that Phuket already has a reputation where one should not drive, but I'd rather drive in Phuket with rental car than in Vietnam.

Secondly - I know that this might sound evil, but I prefer that certain category of people from West (and Australia) continue going to Phuket and Pattaya and not pollute with their presence other places. Unfortunately they are already in large numbers at Siem Reap and Kuta. Avoid.

I've been to Vietnam for many visa runs. About $3USD gets you around a 5 km journey in a metered air conditioned Toyota taxi.

That's about 100 baht for a taxi ride, in a newish vehicle that is similar to a taxi anywhere else in the world.

The whole Phuket tuk-tuk mafia scam is now widely known, with many tourists experiencing it first hand. They will not return.

Transport has been repelling tourist here for sometime, but now we are really seeing the effects of this scam.

The sad thing is, on a nice island like Phuket, where many people should be transported around in a few vehicles, everyone needs access to a vehicle, so the traffic and parking is terrible. Not to mention the injury, death and police extortion it causes.

It was always going to come to this. Yes, I was called a "doomsayer" on this forum. Well, look at Phuket now. The MAJORITY of tourists to Phuket now have arranged coach bus transport as part of a package holiday.

The transport mafia on Phuket has just about killed independent tourism here.

Exchange rates and the types of tourists have a lot more to do with the independent tourist than transportation rates.

If you're a European, Spain and Greece look a lot more inviting as the bargains there are better, and less travel time.

NKM drum beats away on how the transportation mafia is the #1 reason why people don't come to Phuket but that's nonsense. More miserable than a 300thb tuk-tuk ride would be a hotel full of hordes of noisy Chinese, screaming kids, hotel door slammings to wake you in the morning.

As stated in a different thread, Monday night in a metered taxi I did the airport to Rawai for 500thb, quite o.k. for me, maybe exorbitant for beatdeadhorse.gif some.....

• 1 month later...

Thanks for kind words. One month after Phuket we came back and this time went to Krabi/Khao Lak/Khao Sok. Here is the write up:

We arrived at Krabi, got our rental car at Thai Rent a car (with additional insurance - US $84 for 4 days) and head on towards Khao Lak where we had booked Gerd and Noi hotel. Word of advice - google maps took us thru roads 4090/4020 which go thru bunch of hills with curvy roads. I have a feeling that taking Highway 4 all the way would take the same time but without hills.

Gerd and Noi's accommodation was what we expected based on reviews - simple, quiet, provides most of the stuff you need for comfortable stay (yet, I'd be glad if they had a small kettle inside units for those who prefer to make their own tea/coffee) and affordable. As with most budget/mid range accommodation, you would be better if you book and pay with OTA (Agoda/expedia/etc) than at their website or on spot. In our case one night thru Agoda was $49, all taxes/fees included, but it did not include breakfast (see below). The property is right next to the beach, it is 1 min walking away.

Bang Niang's area was surprisingly good for food options and nightlife, we twice had excellent meal at Na Suang and dinner at Siam Restaurant. For breakfast I would not recommend to eat at hotel because there are better options available - Bistro Bang Niang has really good baguette sandwiches, for example. We had excellent massage at Parsap Massage which is close to the entrance of the street, across the market. I would definitely recommend them, despite the fact that they charge slightly above average prices.

For activities - hike at Khao Lak-Lam Ru National Park (which is right next to Bang Niang, entrance is on top of the hill) following with relaxing and swimming at sandy beach is must, however make sure that you have at least minimum level of fitness.

Other nature places/waterfalls/beaches within 30-45 min drive from Bang Niang are plenty, but we get early one day and left for Khao Sok NP. It was highlight of our trip - hiking thru bamboo grass rainforest, swimming at river with curious fish which were not shy at all. Please note - on park's map furthest point of interest/waterfall is marked at 7km distance from the entrance and there are number others at distances of 3/4/5/6km. You might think it is not too far away. Not so - the trail is wide only first 3km but with lots of ups and downs. It ends at the ranger station/drinks stall smile.gif and after that it is single person trailhead in the middle of jungle. If you plan walk all the way to the end, make sure that you arrive at the park before 10AM, have walking stick and at least 1L of water with you per person - round trip will take 8-9 hours.

On our last day went back to Khao Sok, but this time travelled further to Ratchaprabha Dam and Cheow Lan Lake. While the dam and facilities around left quite a good impression, not the same can be said about boat transportation options at the lake. We originally planned to get half day boat ride/tour, but after looking at prices, we decided against it. I was looking for a shorter/day trip option and could not find one. On the whiteboard are are listed destinations from the pier and minimum price I saw was 2100THB for a return trip. If you want to stay overnight and come back, prices are 1.5x/2x of that. Please add to that you need to pay 300THB per person per day for park visit (even if you stay inside the park), plus accommodation cost and it becomes quite expensive (to me) very quickly.

We arrived at Krabi Town (where we stayed just for one night before the return flight) earlier than we planned but it ended up that it was totally worth the effort. We stayed at Hop Inn, which is ablolutely no frills place, but brand new and has everything one could want for $23/night accomodation. Just make sure that you ask a room on higher floor facing parking lot to avoid street noise.

We had nice stroll at Ao Nang beach followed with excelled dinner nearby. Krabi Town does deserve second look and it worth to spend couple of nights there. Prices are 1/3 of what you will get at Phuket - like Thai massage is 200-250THB vs 350-400 in Phuket. Food is priced accordingly. Have not checked prices for transportation via taxi/boats.

One word of advice: in Khao Lak credit cards are accepted only at high end places, so you need to have adequate amount of cash. And if you plan to exchange to THB, don't do it there (Khao Lak) because there are four exchange booth but all of them have exactly the same (they even use the same printed sheet for rates) very bad exchange rates - 1USD for example with $10/$20 notes was 32.30THB, while market rate was 35.30. So make sure that you exchange your money somewhere else.

<snip>

We had nice stroll at Ao Nang beach followed with excelled dinner nearby. Krabi Town does deserve second look and it worth to spend couple of nights there. Prices are 1/3 of what you will get at Phuket - like Thai massage is 200-250THB vs 350-400 in Phuket. Food is priced accordingly. Have not checked prices for transportation via taxi/boats.

<snip>

Excellent post! Thanks for taking the time to document your experience in detail.

I'd like to point out, however, that the price of massages in Phuket you mentioned (350-400 baht) are really only applicable to those directly on the beach, or in a hotel spa. In Patong, for example, the price of a one hour Thai or foot massage in any number of massage shops just off the beach has been standardized at 200 baht per hour for the last couple of years. These shops are typically very clean, with comfortable chairs for foot massages, and air conditioned.

Good to know. My experience with prices is based on quick check around Surin/Kamala/Patong and you are correct, as mentioned, it was 300-400 around beach places. Have not checked at a little bit remote places, but we went at a place in Kamala, called Home Massage which had high reviews. At the end, it was 750THB for 2h Thai massage there, was quite good.

The 200THB massage I've mentioned at Krabi was directly on the beach road at Ao Nang and. Holiday Inn resort, located at the same road right on beach had promotion running 2h Thai massage for 800THB. For the same type of property/location one should expect pay 2000THB and more in Patong/Kata, right?

Again, not disputing your words, but I think we can agree that Krabi is cheaper than Phuket.

If we decide to go to Khao Lak next time, I will definitely fly to Krabi instead of Phuket even it is 1.5h more travel time. Everything is cheaper in Krabi - flights, rental cars (we paid 1/3 less comparing to the same company/type card rental in Phuket), food/services. If you have time, Krabi I think is a good jumpstart place to explore that part of Thailand.

Edited by invisible999

Invisible999, possible for you to jump over to the Krabi Forum and post to the OP who is flying in and out of Krabi and briefly give him the scoop on Krabi Town?

I just posted there but could not recommend a place to stay, your Hip Hotel sounds like a good tip.

Thanks for the post here thumbsup.gif good read and I concur that Khao Lak has a lot to offer compared to bustling Phuket.

…. considering that it is Singapore credit card where consumer protection is close to non-existent - good luck trying to get charges removed. Here recently was the story when guy lost card, someone run it buying $15000 of TV and photo equipment and bank told the guy that he has to pay because he did not immediately notice the bank.

There is very good consumer protection by some credit card issuers in singapore, as long as you follow their procedures…that guy did not immediately inform the bank, and theres no reason not to. In singapore you get a sms on your phone immediately when your card is used.

I got one some time back saying there was a charge from wotif in australia to the tune of $2300….the minute I saw the sms I called the bank and they said thank you for letting us know so promptly…and they took the charges off. Easy peasy.

Anyway…nice review.

I've really enjoyed reading your posts and want to thank you for sharing. I haven't been to Khao Lak or Khao Sok yet so your insights give me a lot to think about. I hope you continue to enjoy adventuring through Thailand with your wife and that you'll share it here again.

Just and aside. I agree with you about renting a car and not relying on other means of transportation in this area. Too expensive and you're just asking for trouble.

• 11 months later...

Just back from staying a week in Khao Lak. Stayed in a small guest house/resort called Fasai . Similar (but worse) than the 'napkin story', upon getting the final bill it was explained that we got a cheaper price due to my Thai wife booking holiday (NOTE 1 : duel pricing) we duly paid the bill.

This was a large group booking as 7 people (inc my 2 kids) were over from U.K. for a Thai wedding the following week.

Upon getting to Phuket airport and waiting at the boarding gate, we were approached by 2 (friendly) policemen who informed us that we had underpaid our bill by 41,000b!!! ! (NOTE 2: get a fully detailed reciept). After visits to ATM& taking all my guests money, we paid bill with a view to sorting it out after we get back 'home' in Isaan. This error had the following 'knock-on' affect

1) we all (9) missed onward flight.

2) my guests/kids had to return to U.K. Penniless a week early.

3) we were left with a wedding/ huge party arranged & no bride or groom. This cost me about a years salary!

4) next day Hotel returned 33,000b & said their error.!!

Just a heads up about Fasai at Khao Lak. Lovely area BTW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

Just back from staying a week in Khao Lak. Stayed in a small guest house/resort called Fasai . Similar (but worse) than the 'napkin story', upon getting the final bill it was explained that we got a cheaper price due to my Thai wife booking holiday (NOTE 1 : duel pricing) we duly paid the bill.

This was a large group booking as 7 people (inc my 2 kids) were over from U.K. for a Thai wedding the following week.

Upon getting to Phuket airport and waiting at the boarding gate, we were approached by 2 (friendly) policemen who informed us that we had underpaid our bill by 41,000b!!! ! (NOTE 2: get a fully detailed reciept). After visits to ATM& taking all my guests money, we paid bill with a view to sorting it out after we get back 'home' in Isaan. This error had the following 'knock-on' affect

1) we all (9) missed onward flight.

2) my guests/kids had to return to U.K. Penniless a week early.

3) we were left with a wedding/ huge party arranged & no bride or groom. This cost me about a years salary!

4) next day Hotel returned 33,000b & said their error.!!

Just a heads up about Fasai at Khao Lak. Lovely area BTW.

A very bad experience. Their error cost you thousands.

Rather than posting on this year old Phuket thread, I would suggest you start a new topic on the appropriate (Krabi) forum.

I would also think you should be looking for damages sustained to your reputation by this hotel virtually having you arrested at the airport, causing missed flights, because of their own idiocy. At the very least you should be reporting them on tripadvisor and similar sites.

(Did you know there is a Phuket restaurant called Dilligaf?)

A very bad experience. Their error cost you thousands. Rather than posting on this year old Phuket thread, I would suggest you start a new topic on the appropriate (Krabi) forum.

I would also think you should be looking for damages sustained to your reputation by this hotel virtually having you arrested at the airport, causing missed flights, because of their own idiocy. At the very least you should be reporting them on tripadvisor and similar sites.

(Did you know there is a Phuket restaurant called Dilligaf?)

Already done trip advisor and No, I didn't know. That name was already taken so I opted for a slight change.

The place is in Khao Lak near to the 'Snapper' bar. This was all our first holiday to Phuket region. No jet-ski's were hired either!!!!

On 26 February 2016 at 8:20 PM, NamKangMan said:

Now can you understand why independent travelers are not coming to Phuket in the numbers that they used to?

Transport is the tourist's biggest expense on Phuket.

Such a great island, with many nice places and activities to do, and nightlife, but if getting around to them all comes at a ridiculous cost, people don't bother.

Totally Agree....Westerners are voting with there feet..and not returning...or leaving...