30+30 visa exempt?

Hi,

I've been reading about the situation with the 30 day visa exempt at airport but the earlier posts did not quite answer my question.

So within the past 10 years living in Bangkok I've had all different kinds of student visas and some consecutive tourist visas in between. Now I just finished my latest Non ED visa in Jan, made a trip to Cambodia and came back with a 30 day stamp that I will extend with another 30 days this week. After this I was planning on flying somewhere for a day of so and returning with the 30 day exempt visa. Of course I can also go to Vientiane or Saigon to get a tourist visa but I guess they won't allow many consecutive ones now? What I would like to know is how many consecutive 30 day visa exempts (fly in and out) do they allow now. I know they have no clear rule about it so it must be hard to say.

What's the best way to stay in the country with 30 day visa exempts and tourist visas? Does it help at switch from tourist visa to 30 day exempt one after the other or they would view it the same way as having consecutive tourist visas or consecutive 30 day exempts?

Thanks!

Best you forget "visa exempt" entries apart from occasional use.

You should obtain visas. There are no limits to the number of tourist visas apart from the restrictions on the number issued by some Embassies/Consulates.

Be prepared to apply for visas at different Embassies/Consulates if you intend staying long term by using tourist visas.

An excess number of back to back visa may, of course, attract the attention of immigration who will want to know what you are doing and how you support yourself financially.

Of course this has been asked often. With the stamps there is a red flag at 6. And with your history you may have issues obtaining another. The refusal would be based on suspicion of working. You might be best off trying to obtain setv with extensions and mix up the places you apply for them. If every returning home an METV would be a nice bonus.

Apart from that obtain an elite visa or marry a thai

Ok thanks guys. I'm on my first visa exempt now so I might do one more or then just get a tourist visa from Vientiane until I find the next solution. Of course I am really looking for a yearly visa but right now there are no good options available. The Elite visa would be good yes but a bit pricey.

I have passports from 2 different EU countries (dual nationality), could that be of any benefit. I mean if I leave here with one and return with the other or will they see that right away in their system?

Chomdo, I guess all you can do is give it a try. Many years ago I was going to Saigon to get a new setv often. After my third (I think) the imm officer said.....your over 50 you really should get appropriate visa. If I was under 50 and the METV not an option for me, I would just try and mix up visa exempt with setv. Also mix up where I applied for the setv. The one thing that has always surprised me on tv is members wanting quickest turnaround possible upon leaving los. A trip to Saigon, for example is very cheap. The longer your out of thailand then possibly less suspicion of working. Always make sure you can demonstrate you have funds etc.

Chomdo, I guess all you can do is give it a try. Many years ago I was going to Saigon to get a new setv often. After my third (I think) the imm officer said.....your over 50 you really should get appropriate visa. If I was under 50 and the METV not an option for me, I would just try and mix up visa exempt with setv. Also mix up where I applied for the setv. The one thing that has always surprised me on tv is members wanting quickest turnaround possible upon leaving los. A trip to Saigon, for example is very cheap. The longer your out of thailand then possibly less suspicion of working. Always make sure you can demonstrate you have funds etc.

Thanks for the hints jacksam. Well I'm around 30 and I came here as an exchange student when I was about 20, lived here full time ever since and studied another university degree + a 3 year thai language course just to get a new visa. Other than that just been doing some tourist visas and quick trips in between. Now it's just come to the point that I seem to be out of options.

I will for sure make a trip to Vientiane or Saigon next. Saigon would be my top option too because it's cheap to fly there and the visa process is very smooth. I also like Vientiane but the embassy is very crowded and flights are expensive. Of course there is the visa run service to Vientiane but did it once and the van ride is just painful + we had to wait at the border for like 5 hours, which I really don't want to experience again.

OP as mentioned by ubon. I fly to UT sometimes ridiculously cheap. Stay top mansion. Nice relaxed xpat scene. Minibus next morning for 50baht. Easy trip back next day. Can stay udon if you like for few days. Cheap holiday from bkk for me. As you stated Saigon flight with Airasia can be 1500baht return. I never pay more than 3k.

Zero queue embassy. District 1 very chilled.

Pity you can't afford the elite. Best fall in love and get married.......'....... NOT!

Edited by jacksam

The Elite would be a great solution of course but 500000 baht for 5 years, correct? Actually 100000 per year is not too bad when comparing to all this hassle and hight expense of making many trips for tourist visas etc. I mean it all depends how worth it it is? Haven't studied it much yet because I remember it was ridiculously expensive. Also I don't travel in and out of the country much at all so all the added limousine rides etc would't interest me. It would then be just for a permit to stay here without hassle.

The Elite would be a great solution of course but 500000 baht for 5 years, correct? Actually 100000 per year is not too bad when comparing to all this hassle and hight expense of making many trips for tourist visas etc. I mean it all depends how worth it it is? Haven't studied it much yet because I remember it was ridiculously expensive. Also I don't travel in and out of the country much at all so all the added limousine rides etc would't interest me. It would then be just for a permit to stay here without hassle.

Yes it is 500k baht for a 5 year membership in the Thai Elite program. It allows you to get PE visa that allows unlimited one year entries for 5 years. In reality it could possibley allow almost 6 years of total stay by doing an entry just before it expires.

It seems expensive unless you consider the cost as prepaying for a worry free stay here for 5 or 6 years. No visa runs, border runs or 30 day extensions to worry about or to pay for. You don't even have to leave the country unless you want to since you can go to immigration and easily get a one year extension for a fee of 1900 baht.

• 1 month later...

Just made a road trip on my own car to Vientiane to get a SETV. Very smooth process compared to the trip I did a few years ago with the visa service van.

Crossing the border at the Friendship bridge was totally different from last time with the van group. This time I crossed around 4pm with really no waiting at all so it was really convenient compared to the 5 hours waiting time with the group last time. Parked my car just behind the 7/11 as advised by many, it cost 100b per day and as close to the crossing point as you can get.

I suppose the visa process has changed somewhat at the Thai Embassy in Vientiane. This time I had to just queue up for a number and drop the documents. There were maybe 100 people in line before me at 7.45 but it took only about an hour and I was out. Next day just wait for your number to be called out, then pay and get your passport back. Picking up part took maybe 45 min so really not much of a hassle this time!

• 1 year later...

Anyone know what the requirements are in  Ho Chi Minh City for a METV for Thailand??  I recently went to Phnom Penh for a 2 week visit, went to the Thai Embassy, sign on the door said METV's are only issued to people living in Cambodia.   I have been going in and out on Visa Exempts  but now I am semi-retired so going in and out happens more often, sooner or later an Immigration officer will take notice.

Thanx in advance.

8 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Anyone know what the requirements are in  Ho Chi Minh City for a METV for Thailand??  I recently went to Phnom Penh for a 2 week visit, went to the Thai Embassy, sign on the door said METV's are only issued to people living in Cambodia.   I have been going in and out on Visa Exempts  but now I am semi-retired so going in and out happens more often, sooner or later an Immigration officer will take notice.

Thanx in advance.

You can only apply for a multiple entry tourist visa in your home country or country of legal residence (other than perhaps if you applied in Australia, USA or Canada).

See the pinned topic about METV's.