Driver on demand service in BKK?

bubba

I was recently in Seoul and after an evening of dinner and drinks, my colleague had an app on his iPhone where he could request a driver to arrive and drive his car, dropping me at my hotel and then to his home where the driver handed him his keys and left. The drivers are licensed and insured and quite professional. This is of course to avoid the potential run-in with strict drink driving laws there after a night out. We also used the service for a series of meetings during the day, which was very handy being let off at a building entrance rather than spending a lot of time looking for parking.

So many question is: does anyone know of such a service here in BKK?

Suspect most taxi drivers would be willing to drive you home in your car and taxi back to there taxi for reasonable payment - have also seen reports of hiring two taxi drivers with one driving car and other following to return driver to his taxi later. As taxi service is extremely inexpensive in Bangkok it would seem the logical option (or just taking taxi period - much better as you may be more logical before the night starts than later).

There used to be a similar service in the UK, where if you had to much to drink, you called the service and a guy turned up on a mini folding motorbike. He then folded away the mini motorbike in a bag, which went in the trunk of your car, and he drove you to your destination.

Yes, I know I could get a taxi. You could do the same in Seoul as well. But there are those times when you are out with your car, need a driver to get you home, and do not want the hassle of going back to get it the next day. I hadn't thought of the two taxi idea, so thanks for that idea, although I have been in many taxis where I would not want the driver driving my car. Also, I did find the driver for hire service nice for running around to several different meetings without dealing with parking.

Anyway, all too often, the taxis here are not exactly "on demand" when they will not take you to where you need to go. Besides, my car is much more comfortable for dozing off on the way home than any taxi.

I found a couple of old links describing the driver for hire service in Seoul:

http://blog.korea.net/?p=17638

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20140305000805

Thanks for the replies. And who knows, there may be a market here for something like this if there is not one already. But where would one find qualified drivers here that you would trust driving your car??

Archived