Fedora Core 6 Is Here

Richard-BKK

Today the big moment is Fedora Core 6 is being released, Fedora Core 6 is the latest and probably the most advanced Linux available.

Fedora Core 6 includes installer improvements and catchy desktop effects. Better update notifications and fresh a new look and default font. Better I18N support and dramatic performance boosts throughout the distribution. Better visualization and SELinux trouble-shooting capabilities.

If there is a single major "feature" in Fedora, it would be the extensive performance improvements that this release carries throughout the distribution.

Fedora Core 5 is the first who standard includes GNOME 2.16, GNOME 2.16 has a number of performance improvements, including better login time, bonobo speedups, and faster rendering of non-Latin scripts and Cairo graphics. Plus, Nautilus and file chooser saw some improvements, and Evolution IMAP underwent some backend changes. KDE 3.5.4 has a number of new optimizations, as do system-level libraries such as the CUPS printing service and the fontconfig library.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/

The Fedora project website was not able to handle all requests for downloads, they are at the moment down.

If people want to download the latest version, they can only do it by downloading this torrent http://www.torrentreactor.to/torrents/download_224601

This is legal download torrent

I'm currently downloading the VMWare appliance version of Fedora 6 now by torrent but still slow. Not in a hurry though, just would like to see what it is like.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the links. The 'mirror.in.th' works fine (sofar). Downloading around 40-50% faster than the us-sites I've tried.

The 'ftp.kku.ac.th' gives me an error when I click an .iso link "550: failed to change directory" (in suse-based firefox).

The 'ftp.psu.ac.th' must have a bad day. Download speed a whopping 0.4 KB/sec (those 3-4 minutes i let it have it's chance)

Got Fedora Core 6 downloaded and installed. Excellent download site this mirror.in.th - highly recomendable and my obvious choise once Suse 10.2 gets released. Four of the five CD's came down in one piece, the fifth stalled for good around the middle, but came down successfully on second try. This compared to downloading Suse 10.1 from opensuse.org where each and every CD had to be restarted 2-5 times before I had it all safe and sound on my harddisk.

Well, now to the problems. Until February this year I was a total Linux newbee, but now I'm a 9 month old Suse "expert" --- and ALAS, I now have to deal with seemingly unsurmountable problem that Fedora isn't exactly Suse. Most prominently I miss my Yast ... and also - although I'm okay with giving Gnome a chance - I'd like to be able to switch to KDE in case Gnome turns out to be less attractive. So, my questions are:

1) Is it possible to install Yast on Fedora? If Yes: how?

2) How does one change from Gnome to KDE?

I already have Fedora Core 5 on my system. Is there really any substantial reason why I should consider upgrading to FC6? The opening post did not seem to offer any useful insight as to why I would want to upgrade. Are there any security considerations?

Btw, I have FC5 installed on a notebook PC. I connect to it remotely using an SSH app to engage in C++ s/w development. Thus I never interface directly with Gnome, much less with the notebook itself. It's tucked away in my spare bedroom, and I rarely even take a peek at it.

Edited by Gumballl

Sorry, I'm out! Looked trough some online manuals and apparently the Fedoro counterpart of YAST is some command line tool that reminds me too much of those dreadful nights 20 years ago I spend down in the prisonlike basement of Computer Science Faculty, writing/debugging C-programs on an UNIX system.