Growing Cha-om

Roy Jing

post-35315-1161661234.jpgI'm looking into the viability of growing Cha-om ( Acacia Pennata ) on 1 or 2 rai. Just wondering if anyone has any info on the pros and cons of doing this. I am down south in Nakhon Si Thammarat where we have a pretty good supply of water. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Roy

ROY JING

Yes you ca grow it and I can give youy a long detailed explination about growing it - just that 1 or 2 rai is a very large amount to grow and then have to pick and sell in one go - which what will happen.

But its not difficult to grow

Tim

Thanks for the reply MF.

I would love to hear your explanation on how to best grow cha-om when you get the chance. As I am unaware of plant spacings and yield I did not know that 1 or 2 rai was a large amount to grow. My wife has informed me that she thinks that quantity could be sold each day as it is very populer down south. I personally have no clue. Your thoughts and other peoples would be welcomed.

Roy

Yes - its grown much more down south and its much easy to grow down there beuase of the climate, but it will grow up North.

Weeds will be your big competition growing this crop as, unless your grow it in containers and drip irrigate it, its a crop most eaaily irrigated with a sprinkler - which will throw water everywhere.

I'll write something up for you a few days.

Tim

Yes - its grown much more down south and its much easy to grow down there beuase of the climate, but it will grow up North.

Weeds will be your big competition growing this crop as, unless your grow it in containers and drip irrigate it, its a crop most eaaily irrigated with a sprinkler - which will throw water everywhere.

I'll write something up for you a few days.

Tim

Look forward to that. Thanks Tim.

Roy

Yes - problem with it then is that when it is that high it's no good as a food crop. Well, that's not strictly correct, but it's prefered for cooking when its a lot smaller/shorter as it's softer with a lot more flavour in it.

Should also add that you get different varities - the variety that is grown for food in Thailand would dtake a long time to grow to the size that it would be suitable as a hedge or fence.

Tim

Edited by Maizefarmer

A lot of people grow it as a living fence, due to its spikey nature.

Regards

My wife tells me she read on a thai website ( can't find it anymore)about someone in Thailand growing a new variety without spikes. Makes harvesting alot easier. Anyone know about this variety?

Roy

That's the right stuff Chownah - its a member of the acacia family (I think - someone can go search the web to confirm of deny this but I'm pretty certain it is).

There are about 10 varities in Thailand. As said in one of my earlier postings, the variety that is grown for food is different to the variety that can be grown as a fence/hedge.

Tim

That's the right stuff Chownah - its a member of the acacia family (I think - someone can go search the web to confirm of deny this but I'm pretty certain it is).

There are about 10 varities in Thailand. As said in one of my earlier postings, the variety that is grown for food is different to the variety that can be grown as a fence/hedge.

Tim

Maybe its different up north because up here we have cha om that we eat that grows a couple of metres tall and has thorns and is sometimes used as a fence/hedge...at least I have been told that it can be grown this way although I have never seen it and the plant is tall enough and sturdy enough to be a fence/hedge. Once the stuff is growing it is low maintenance and my wife says that all you have to do is give it water occasionally in the dry season.

Perhaps there are varieties that are eaten that are not suitable for a fence/hedge but up here in the north there is at least one variety that is eaten that is also suitable for a fence/hedge.

By the way....I'm pretty sure that all acacia plants have root nodules which fix nitrogen so this crop should not only provide food and (perhaps) a fence/hedge but also add nitorgen to the soil.

Chownah