Best UK bank for Thai visitors

A mate of mine currently banks with HSBC in the UK, while he was visiting Thailand he had the misfortune to loose his ATM card.

HSBC despite claiming to be the "worlds favorite bank" proved to be nothing short of useless in providing a replacement card.

I'd be interested to hear which UK bank is a bit more sympathetic or customer minded when it comes to misshaps whilst in Thailand

Thanks in adv

The best bank I came across last year when I went back to the UK was the Metro Bank.

https://www.metrobankonline.co.uk/

They have an English call centre so no garbled English from an Indian call centre, excellent customer service as they're a new bank they try harder. What else? Dog friendly - water and biscuits for your dog and you can take them inside. They print your cashpoint card there and then instead of sending it in the post and then having to wait for the PIN.

Staff that have personalities, the HR department have done a top job picking the right sort of people to deal with the public. I sound like I'm a salesman on commission but I'm just a very satisfied customer.

Best foreign financial company I've dealt with specifically in Thailand with regards to a foreign-issued card being lost was American Express. It's been a while since I was there, but they had an office near the Skytrain station on the way to Chatuchak (Ari?)

Best option if you're in Thailand for more than a two week holiday is to open a local bank account and transfer money in from abroad using internet banking.

(Oddly enough - transfers from my Hong Kong bank account were sometimes same-day and never worse than next day - but transfers from the UK seem to take 2-4 days...)

Cuts out the ATM fees, and you get a far better exchange rate (if you transfer in your home currency and let the FX happen in Thailand, rather than apply the FX at your home bank. This is especially true in the UK, where the Thai baht rates the banks there offer are terrible).

This means you're using a locally issued card, so if you lose it (in the land of ATMs that give you your money before returning your card), you can get a new card issued relatively painlessly...

Edited by bkk_mike

Helpful if you have a close friend in Thailand to transfer money to. I'm constantly looking for inexpensive ways to transfer money, but the best I've found so far is Western Union, only £4.90 per transaction, as opposed to the SWIFT charge when I tried using my bank.

The process for WU Is convoluted, so I thought SWIFT would be easier and quicker...... it wasn't, and it cost more.

If anyone knows of a better way I'd be interested to hear!

Helpful if you have a close friend in Thailand to transfer money to. I'm constantly looking for inexpensive ways to transfer money, but the best I've found so far is Western Union, only £4.90 per transaction, as opposed to the SWIFT charge when I tried using my bank.

The process for WU Is convoluted, so I thought SWIFT would be easier and quicker...... it wasn't, and it cost more.

just put a piece up in the banking section transfer money from UK

All Uk banks are going to handle the ATM Card lost/stolen abroad problem in much the same way: they will want to follow procedure to ensure that the loser is genuinely the cardholder, which probably means, once identified as such with security questions over the phone, they will only send a replacement card to the holders registered address, and a new PIN number there under separate cover. It's then up to the cardholder to make arrangements to get the card and PIN number to wherever he/she is, physically and by phone respectively.

I don't see an easy way around this, given the need for ever more security in an environment of increasing bank fraud.

When you travel outside of your home country you should have two atm cards and do not keep them together. You just never know when a card will fail or get lost/stolen.

You cannot really blame HSBC for not sending a new ATM card to Thailand. I bank with HSBC and they DO send me debit and credit cards because I changed my address to Thailand years ago, BUT they take 3 weeks to arrive.

Those of you who bank in the UK should consider yourselves fairly lucky. I bank in Luxembourg (having lived there for many years). Luxembourg banks generally, will not send out cards; full stop! You have to go to the branch, yourself, in person and don't forget your passport or ID card. Having said that, they are far, far better than UK banks in just about every other way.

Best UK Bank ??

Turned out over the years using several different UK banks & Building Society's found First Direct came out best for me and they accepted my now only permanent address in Thailand where others wouldn't, maybe some others do dunno.

To relate to your mates problem my Thai Mrs miss placed her FD UK ATM card, I rang them and a new one arrived in 5 days.

As a previous comment stated First Direct Bank which is owned by HSBC but operate under slightly different rules are very good. They will send a debit / credit overseas and by registered or express post if required.

However it always helps if you make sure by first direct messaging service that they are aware where you are going abroad and when before travels.

I thought I had lost my card recently and they set up very easily a video conference call with me, this can be effected on any android phone or tablet or laptop with a camera etc. I showed them proof of id ie passport plus entry stamp over the video call and that was that, sorted!

As far as I know they are the only bank offering this service!

Edited by Pdavies99

Best UK Bank ??

Turned out over the years using several different UK banks & Building Society's found First Direct came out best for me and they accepted my now only permanent address in Thailand where others wouldn't, maybe some others do dunno.

To relate to your mates problem my Thai Mrs miss placed her FD UK ATM card, I rang them and a new one arrived in 5 days.

Yes, First Direct its actually part of HSBC, and like HSBC they do allow you to change your address to Thailand.

Its because your registered address is in Thailand that you had no problem getting a card sent here. If your registered address was the UK then it would be a different story.

Western Union also catches you on the exchange rate. It's not just the £4.90 fee. They also take 2%+ from the exchange rate. so for £100, that's a cost of £7.

£200 and that's £9+ in costs.

Even the ATM is cheaper and faster. For instance Kalixa Pay Prepaid card. Cost of withdrawal £2.25. ATM cost £4. That cost stays much the same whatever the amount, as you get the full Mastercard exchange rate.

Prepaid card of course to stop the little lady from getting carried away.

Goodness knows why people part with their cash...

I would say 4.90 a good deal don't see why it is such a complicated way.

When you say transfer I would guess it depends on the amount and easy in my case by going into a Thai main branch bank with my UK debit card I get 500 pounds which is a maximum daily limit withdrawal.

A charge by Siam bank is 180 bath and my UK bank charges % on a scale up the 500 pounds to a maximum of 5 pounds, so say 9 pound charges.

Edited by Kwasaki

When you say transfer I would guess it depends on the amount and easy in my case by going into a Thai main branch bank with my UK debit card I get 500 pounds which is a maximum daily limit withdrawal.

A charge by Siam bank is 180 bath and my UK bank charges % on a scale up the 500 pounds to a maximum of 5 pounds, so say 9 pound charges.

Did you read the post above yours? The charge is not £4.90.

As to your second paragraph, I don't quite understand it. Are you suggesting that 'Siam bank' charge you 180 baht to withdraw over the counter?

In addition to that, you really need to get some decent plastic. One that doesn't charge you for usage in Thailand. Your current card seems bad.

As to your second paragraph, I don't quite understand it. Are you suggesting that 'Siam bank' charge you 180 baht to withdraw over the counter?

In addition to that, you really need to get some decent plastic. One that doesn't charge you for usage in Thailand. Your current card seems bad.

Yellow bank ,with passport and debit card free,but usual buy/sell rates

Yes Halifax do seem to be good £9.50 transfer and spot on rates plus £125 for changing plus its part of Lloyd's

Yes Halifax do seem to be good £9.50 transfer and spot on rates plus £125 for changing plus its part of Lloyd's

No need for all of that palaver, just apply for the Halifax Clarity and use that for a cash advance over the bank counter. No charges from Halifax and no Thai ATM fee. Cover any cash withdrawals by making a payment online as soon as they appear on your online account. That will reduce any interest to a penny or two.

Well never heard of a Kalixa Pay Prepaid card ?? till now, although I have never bothered to look I just do as explained post #18.

Aahh.. I see. Permanently based in Thailand. So unable to utilise some of the better solutions without a UK address.

You are being charged too much. The best card solutions now will cost you nothing at all. But you need to have UK credentials to apply.

Bank to bank transfers can end up working out ridiculously expensive! As a test, just to see that it worked OK and that I had the right info to enter in the web-banking form, I transferred 25€ from my account in Luxembourg to my account at the Bangkok Bank over here. The final amount deducted from my Luxembourg account, including fees and charges was a staggering 39€. That was the first and last time I used direct bank to bank transfer!

I have used Transferwise ( www.transferwise.com ) several times now; they seem pretty efficient and are way, way cheaper than direct bank to bank transfers.

I have heard of, but not tried, another system that is available if you bank with the Bangkok Bank. Apparently, you can transfer money from a UK account at any bank to their London branch and they will move it to your Thai branch at little or no cost.

Bank to bank transfers can end up working out ridiculously expensive! As a test, just to see that it worked OK and that I had the right info to enter in the web-banking form, I transferred 25€ from my account in Luxembourg to my account at the Bangkok Bank over here. The final amount deducted from my Luxembourg account, including fees and charges was a staggering 39€. That was the first and last time I used direct bank to bank transfer!

I have used Transferwise ( www.transferwise.com ) several times now; they seem pretty efficient and are way, way cheaper than direct bank to bank transfers.

I have heard of, but not tried, another system that is available if you bank with the Bangkok Bank. Apparently, you can transfer money from a UK account at any bank to their London branch and they will move it to your Thai branch at little or no cost.

The Bangkok Bank service costs 25 pounds and gets to your Thailand Bangkok Bank the next working day, as far as your UK bank is concerned its not an international transfer. Bangkok Bank's USA ACH service is much better and cheaper.

Edited by technologybytes

Re my mention of using Bangkok bank in London to transfer funds to a Bangkok Bank account in Thailand

It isn't free but if you are moving significant sums, it might work out quite cheap if their exchange rates are competitive:

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/ReceivingFundsfromUK/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUK.aspx

The Bangkok Bank service costs 25 pounds and gets to your Thailand Bangkok Bank the next working day, as far as your UK bank is concerned its not an international transfer. Bangkok Bank's USA ACH service is much better and cheaper.

post-25153-0-95344300-1456462608_thumb.j

Yes I did read your follow up post just you are faster on keyboard than me.biggrin.png

Yes Siam bank charges 180 bath for using the FD UK debit a/c card e.g. 20,180 is taken and I get 20,000 and other banks take 200.

My First Direct UK bank charges % on amount drawn only, using a Thailand ATM they charge me more.

As for new plastic it was my understanding you have to go back to UK to get and have a UK address, both of which I have no wish to do so.

Maybe it depends on branch my local one is like the dark blue bank biggrin.png a pain in back----.

Ayudhya won't do it and say use ATM, Bangkok.B. say cannot get through.

Siam bank a breeze and I get glass of green tea too free. coffee1.gif

Yes I did read your follow up post just you are faster on keyboard than me.biggrin.png

Yes Siam bank charges 180 bath for using the FD UK debit a/c card e.g. 20,180 is taken and I get 20,000 and other banks take 200.

My First Direct UK bank charges % on amount drawn only, using a Thailand ATM they charge me more.

As for new plastic it was my understanding you have to go back to UK to get and have a UK address, both of which I have no wish to do so.

So SIAM(which exactly?) charges you 180 baht for an over the counter withdrawal(not good, but I suppose they claim that it is because it is a debit card and not a credit card) and subsequently FD just treat it as a purchase, so no ATM withdrawal charge but their 2.75% foreign exchange fee.

So on £500, it is costing you £13.75 + 180 baht(£3.60). A total of £17.35 per withdrawal.

The maximum of £5 that you read somewhere has to do with the FD ATM charge if you withdrew using an ATM. In this case you would also incur the FD ATM charge of 2%(up to a max of £5).

Didn't you claim 140 on the IQ test? Just teasing. :)