World ski body pays to end defamation claim by Vanessa-Mae

webfact

World ski body pays to end defamation claim by Vanessa-Mae

vm.jpg
File photo. Source: Internet

OBERHOFEN, Switzerland (AP) — The International Ski Federation has settled a defamation claim by Vanessa-Mae after wrongly accusing her of helping fix races so she could qualify for the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics.

FIS said Wednesday it had apologized and made an "appropriate payment" to Vanessa-Mae, which she intends to pay to a charity.

Vanessa-Mae won an appeal at the Court of Arbitration for Sport last June overturning her four-year ban. The court cleared the musician of rigging low-level races in Slovenia organized by her entourage in January 2014.

Vanessa-Mae had sued FIS for unspecified damages.

The musician and her entourage "did not in any way fix, contrive or improperly influence the result, progress, conduct or any other aspect" of qualifying races in Slovenia, FIS said in Wednesday's statement.

FIS said it accepted that its previous statements about Vanessa-Mae's conduct at the races "were unjustified and unreservedly withdraws them."

The CAS ruling last year found that a "number of irregularities" had occurred in the running of the qualifying races but there was no evidence to implicate Vanessa-Mae.

The musician, then aged 35, competed in Sochi for her father's native Thailand and finished last in giant slalom.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-02-25

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An embarrassing shambles, which just makes her look like a spoilt petulant fool. Stick to what you do best.

Lyndsey Vonn ; now there's a ski racer the whole world can be proud of.

I would sue too if someone claimed i was a criminal and ruined my reputation. (not that I have one but she does). Bit strange not to sue and she is donating the money to charity.. so its not about money at all.

An embarrassing shambles, which just makes her look like a spoilt petulant fool. Stick to what you do best.

I would sue too if someone claimed i was a criminal and ruined my reputation. (not that I have one but she does). Bit strange not to sue and she is donating the money to charity.. so its not about money at all.

they probably knew something then said something they could not prove and rather than drag it out settled knowing she will never ski again - no respect for her ski ego trip anyway

they probably knew something then said something they could not prove and rather than drag it out settled knowing she will never ski again - no respect for her ski ego trip anyway

Then they should not have said it if they can't prove it. As for her ego trip.. i really did not follow that. Just can understand it when people sue when reputations are damaged and while the allegations cant be proven.

Then they should not have said it if they can't prove it. As for her ego trip.. i really did not follow that. Just can understand it when people sue when reputations are damaged and while the allegations cant be proven.

You mean they should sue only if the allegations made against them can be proven?

At the time the story broke all the relevant timings were made public but unfortunately I can't remember what they were. Depending on the discrepancies did Vanessa ever wonder how she magically reached the Olympic qualifying time ?

Was it ever explained who or WHAT motivated the timing officials to fiddle the figures ?

Is there a better skier than Vanessa Mae, who could represent Thailand in olympics?

this is not on-topic but she's British born and bred and only applied for a Thai passport (a language she can't speak) to get into the Olympics through that loophole whilst there are FAR better skiers in Britain whose times (much better than hers) would not have made pre-qualifying and I hope that answers your question

it appears their mistake was accusing her of KNOWING the timings were fiddled (forgive pun) not that they were not fiddled and, of course, she's completely innocent and fully deserved to be in the Olympics wai.gif

"The CAS ruling last year found that a "number of irregularities" had occurred in the running of the qualifying races but there was no evidence to implicate Vanessa-Mae."

Edited by LannaGuy

sirineou

I mean if your an world ski body and you make claims you can't prove.. then you deserve to be sued by the one you defame.

Its just stupid to make destroy someones image when you with allegations you can't prove.

I know what you meant. I am just being a smart ass, emphasis on the Ass.

You are Right.

Back home we have an expression

"Put up or shut up" I guess they could not 'Shut Up" or Put up" so they had to Pay up.laugh.png

IMO she is a great lady, as an expert skier I can tell you, what she did was not easy,

as an amateur musician I can tell you she is incredibly talented, and as a man with eyes and a pulse ......... well let's just leave it at that, I have to go and take a cold shower.tongue.png

all I want to say is,I have nothing but respect and admiration for the lady.

Edited by sirineou

Looks like she has every intention to ski again - the BBC are reporting that she is making preparations to qualify for the next winter games in South Korea in 2018.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/winter-sports/35648512

Looking forward to skigate #2 in a couple of years. Go Vanessa-Mae biggrin.png

Edited by dabhand

Is there a better skier than Vanessa Mae, who could represent Thailand in olympics?

this is not on-topic but she's British born and bred and only applied for a Thai passport (a language she can't speak) to get into the Olympics through that loophole whilst there are FAR better skiers in Britain whose times (much better than hers) would not have made pre-qualifying and I hope that answers your question

But could they have skied for Thailand?

As you say, not on-topic, but 'British born and bred'?

This is noted on her wiki page:

'Vanessa-Mae was born on 27 October 1978 in Singapore, to a Singaporean mother and Thai father'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanessa-Mae

As you say, not on-topic, but 'British born and bred'?

This is noted on her wiki page:

'Vanessa-Mae was born on 27 October 1978 in Singapore, to a Singaporean mother and Thai father'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanessa-Mae

ok mr PEDANT but you did not quote the next bit... After adoption by a British father, she moved to London at the age of 4

so small correction she was in Britain at four years old and educated and raised there

At the time the story broke all the relevant timings were made public but unfortunately I can't remember what they were. Depending on the discrepancies did Vanessa ever wonder how she magically reached the Olympic qualifying time ?

Was it ever explained who or WHAT motivated the timing officials to fiddle the figures ?

Search the original subject then your questions will be answered. She didn't have to qualify and no figures were fiddled.