Teaching at Prince Royal's College

pairofraggedclause

I've been offered a teaching job at PRC. I'd just like to know if anyone on here already works there and can report on the working conditions. One particular concern I have is regarding a rumor I've heard that they require foreign teachers to work weekends. Is that true?

Other comments about the working conditions and treatment of foreign teachers are welcome. Could you please verify in your comment as to whether your information is from direct experience? Thanks in advance.

Check class sizes. too.

Thanks. Yes, I already have. They are a bit larger than I'd prefer (40-45), but not as bad as gov't schools (55-60). However, that is another consideration I'm making in my decision.

Pretty big classes- warning bells.

And check whether your classroom will have aircon. The last time I talked with a teacher at Prince Royal, not all the classrooms had aircon, but that was a few years ago.

Actually, occasional weekend work, in the form of meetings and conferences is pretty standard for schools here.

If PRC does not meet your likes and needs, you might inquire at Dara Academy which is on the same street, on the other side of the road, next to McCormick Hospital.

Dara's class size is smaller than PRC, particularly in the Native Speaker Program where they hold it to around 25 students. Something like 6,000 students attend Dara, but only maybe ¼ of them are in the "NP" program. Non-NP classrooms have more students, around 40-50, I believe. All NP classrooms are air conditioned, and there is talk that during the term break in the coming months many, if not all, of the rest of the classrooms will be air conditioned as well.

If PRC does not meet your likes and needs, you might inquire at Dara Academy which is on the same street, on the other side of the road, next to McCormick Hospital.

Dara's class size is smaller than PRC, particularly in the Native Speaker Program where they hold it to around 25 students. Something like 6,000 students attend Dara, but only maybe ¼ of them are in the "NP" program. Non-NP classrooms have more students, around 40-50, I believe. All NP classrooms are air conditioned, and there is talk that during the term break in the coming months many, if not all, of the rest of the classrooms will be air conditioned as well.

How much is Dara a term for the NP program? Does Dara have good ties with the Universities once the kids graduate? My son will be P1 next term...wai2.gif

My grand neice posted a class phto on Facebook, I counted 48 17 year olds in M6 at Dara. My granddaughter had the same in P5 also at Dara Ac. and we changed her to another(more expensive) school where she has only 22 in the class.She has improved drastically.

I have nothing to add to this thread except - <deleted>? blink.png

I did a double take at 55-60 in a class. That's knocking on for 3 times more than when I was in school. In high school class sizes were a little bit bigger, but still less than half that amount and we were a lot more grown up than those in primary school aged where, as a non-teacher, I assume it is more important to be in a smaller class.

I honestly had no idea that teachers were expected to control/inspire/educate so many students at a time.

My grand neice posted a class phto on Facebook, I counted 48 17 year olds in M6 at Dara. My granddaughter had the same in P5 also at Dara Ac. and we changed her to another(more expensive) school where she has only 22 in the class.She has improved drastically.

Out of interest, what is the other school? A class size of 22 sounds good. PM me if you prefer. wai.gif

Just as an addendum for anyone that thinks the education has gone forwards. (Quite a few) years ago my husband was a student at Montfort. No EP, NP ...P in those days just the ordinary classes. The average class size was around 20 . That isn't his rose tinted memory as we have the old class photos to prove it. Also a lot of the classes were in English mostly from the brothers who ran the school . So essentially it was a small class size, bilingual set up. Then I guess things went a bit ..... along the lines of quantity vs quality.

And check whether your classroom will have aircon. The last time I talked with a teacher at Prince Royal, not all the classrooms had aircon, but that was a few years ago.

Actually, occasional weekend work, in the form of meetings and conferences is pretty standard for schools here.

Yes I did already. They showed me the exact classroom where I'll be working. Really impressively equipped, including aircon.

Thanks for the tip. I've actually already applied to Dara. They're doing some big hiring push at the moment (FYI to any other teachers in CM), so my CV is in a stack with some committee for review. They do have an impressive program.

I did a double take at 55-60 in a class. That's knocking on for 3 times more than when I was in school. In high school class sizes were a little bit bigger, but still less than half that amount and we were a lot more grown up than those in primary school aged where, as a non-teacher, I assume it is more important to be in a smaller class.

I honestly had no idea that teachers were expected to control/inspire/educate so many students at a time.

Unfortunately, in the government schools that's the norm in Thailand. The private schools have more of a budget to hire more staff and reduce class sizes. But yeah, 60 kids in one classroom is a nightmare. I'll never go that far.

As for the concerns about 45 kids, yes that's far from ideal as well. But those classes are student-centered and project-based, and I'd be partnering with a Thai teacher to help facilitate their projects. I've met the Thai teachers in the program--they all seem to speak English remarkably well, and are realistic about their limitations, which is why they're excited to bring native speakers in.

I just want to say thanks to everyone who provided feedback directly related to my questions. It helped me make my decision. I'm moving to CM at the end of April, so if any of you are interested in connecting, PM me.

Another word about class size. The private schools here (and I guess everywhere) are a business first. That is, they are money-making machines. And, given the lifestyle of today versus 20 or more years ago, there is more money to be spent on getting kids enrolled in a status school. Sometimes, like I once heard a hotelier say, the more that is charged, the better the customer likes it; it gives them something to gloat about. So, they just cram more kids into the classrooms, and the quality of education be damned.

Opposite to what one would think, the numbers of students in high school classrooms are fewer than in primary level classrooms. I don't know why or how they justify this way of thinking. Generally, having smaller class sizes in the early years allows the teachers to work closer with struggling students, getting them up to speed, as it were. Once the child learns how to overcome his or her roadblocks, he or she is more prepared for learning in a larger group setting. But, more the rule than the exception, that's not how it's done here, regrettably.