Heineken Draft-Why is There None?

Laughing Gravy

As a regular visitor to Hua Hin and many other places in Thailand, I always wonder why there is no (or I haven't seen any) Heineken Draft in Hua HIn. I see Tiger, Leo, Singa and Chang but no Heineken. As a rediednt of Bangkok I see it everywhere and in Pattaya and Ko Chang. But Hua Hin which I really like as a place it seems to be non existent or like gold dust. Can anyone enlighten me why? I know it is in bottle but my preference is Draft and from the limited variety here in Thailand, I feel Heineken is about the best provided, if it is taken care of. properly.

I have my own theories why but would like to hear from those who know or have businesses in pub and bars.

Just as another off shoot I have see quite a few Erdinger pumps but when I ask I only get that they sell bottles.sad.png

Majority of commercial beer distribution in Thailand is canned and bottled distribution. Which is much cheaper and more hygienic.

Beer marketing and contracting is also not monopolised, means you can have multiple brands in every bar. Beer manufacturers need additional investment in complex distribution networks for draft barrels.

In terms of taste and relatively (low) quality of brewing process I would suggest Stella Artois draught as a comparable surrogate for the missing Heineken version.

Majority of commercial beer distribution in Thailand is canned and bottled distribution. Which is much cheaper and more hygienic.

Beer marketing and contracting is also not monopolised, means you can have multiple brands in every bar. Beer manufacturers need additional investment in complex distribution networks for draft barrels.

In terms of taste and relatively (low) quality of brewing process I would suggest Stella Artois draught as a comparable surrogate for the missing Heineken version.

ImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1456549454.904607.jpg

How can you compare imported beer like Stella with locally brewed Heineken?

ImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1456549454.904607.jpg

How can you compare imported beer like Stella with locally brewed Heineken?
Both are factory beers and are products where advanced brewing art is not required.

Stringent tests are made to keep the water quality equivalent to the home brewery norms. 98% of Heineken and Stella are made from water. A factory/brewery for instance from Mexico has to provide the same quality (taste) of water as everywhere else.

Latest Swedish test invited 138 people who tested both brands. The result concluded that they couldn't make the difference between S and H.

Back to topic :

Temperature and art of serving method can make you think and taste that you're drinking draught beer from a glass while it originated from a bottle...

For beer connoisseurs, is calling Heineken a beer, a blasphemy

I was in a bar in Maestricht Holland some years back in y Army days, there was a huge mural of a Horse drinking from a Keg of Grolsch and pissing into a Keg of Heineken,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,thought that was fitting.wai2.gif

I have been drinking Heineken as my preferred choice. But a few weeks ago, a friend made me drink a bottle of export chang, it tasted just as good as the Heineken and much cheaper. I have switched to chang and find most of my friends have done the same.

In a singha, chang universe Heineken is a godsend monsieur le connoisseur.

Anyhow far better than Heineken. I don't know any of my belgian countryman who drinks Heineken.in the beercountry Belgium, theire are no pubs serving Heineken. In the seventies Heineken even had to forclosure more than 800 of theire own pubs, because nobody wanted to drink Heineken.

In a singha, chang universe Heineken is a godsend monsieur le connoisseur.

Anyhow far better than Heineken. I don't know any of my belgian countryman who drinks Heineken.in the beercountry Belgium, theire are no pubs serving Heineken. In the seventies Heineken even had to forclosure more than 800 of theire own pubs, because nobody wanted to drink Heineken.

Whilst I agree Stella is much better than Heineken, I was under the impression Stella is still imported and not made here. I was comparing Heineken to the other beers made here. If only Stella was in every pub bar on draft in Hua Hin and come to that Bangkok.

very little demand for the product and therefore too costly to put on.

An interesting statement which I assume is from your personal observations. I would say that in Bangkok the opposite happens and Heineken is the most drank Draught Local Beer.

Just as a side note I noticed the same in Ko Samui that Heineken draft was absent from pubs and bars. One owner told me that the other breweries and distributors forcibly stop it coming in. I wonder does this happen in Hua Hin?

An interesting statement which I assume is from your personal observations. I would say that in Bangkok the opposite happens and Heineken is the most drank Draught Local Beer.

Just as a side note I noticed the same in Ko Samui that Heineken draft was absent from pubs and bars. One owner told me that the other breweries and distributors forcibly stop it coming in. I wonder does this happen in Hua Hin?

If you like to compare Heineken woth locally brewed beers, well you should try San Miguel, Kirin (100% Maltbeer) And certainly Federbrau who is brewed under the German Reinheitsgebot rules. You will stop to drink Heineken. 55555

The only reason why Heineken is popular is that Heineken by superb propagsnda an advertising made Thai people believe that Heineken is an Hi-So beer.

BTW Heineken taste different in every country. Because its brewed locally. So the water and air is different,

Good example for this is Hoegaerden. For economical reasons, Interbrew decided to brew in a different brewery only 100 km away. Well the sales of Hoegserden went down with 35%,because the tast was different and they never succeeded to have the same taste. At the end Interbrew decided, to modernize the old Hoegaerden brewery and brew it there again.

I am sure if I had to do a blind taste of all the beers brewed here in Thailand I would struggle to identify any of them, its got to the stage now where I will not buy thai beer. I buy the beer dark lao, its not great, but much better than the thai stuff.

There seems to be quite a few homebrew shops selling equipment in Bangkok, maybe the way to go?

must've misread what the OP said - thought this was about Hua Hin.

must've misread what the OP said - thought this was about Hua Hin.

It was about Hua Hin, just as mentioned as a side note.

If you like to compare Heineken woth locally brewed beers, well you should try San Miguel, Kirin (100% Maltbeer) And certainly Federbrau who is brewed under the German Reinheitsgebot rules. You will stop to drink Heineken. 55555

The only reason why Heineken is popular is that Heineken by superb propagsnda an advertising made Thai people believe that Heineken is an Hi-So beer.

BTW Heineken taste different in every country. Because its brewed locally. So the water and air is different,

Good example for this is Hoegaerden. For economical reasons, Interbrew decided to brew in a different brewery only 100 km away. Well the sales of Hoegserden went down with 35%,because the tast was different and they never succeeded to have the same taste. At the end Interbrew decided, to modernize the old Hoegaerden brewery and brew it there again.

Whilst you may have a point the beers you are mentioning are more elusive to find than Heineken. Fedebrau is great put it it easier to go to Germany and find it in Thailand. Thanks for your input though.

Whilst you may have a point the beers you are mentioning are more elusive to find than Heineken. Fedebrau is great put it it easier to go to Germany and find it in Thailand. Thanks for your input though.

You can't find Federbrau because its not a German beer,only the name is German 555, but an 100 percent Thai beer from Thaibev (Chang, Archa)

Its a German STYLE beer, brewed by the principals of the Reinheitsgebot. You can find Federbrau in Makro, Tesco Lotus, Big C, Tops and other Supermarkets.

Its very common in and around Bangkok and in many restaurants and beergardens its served as Draft beer.

http://www.thaibev.com/en08/product.aspx?sublv1gID=11#tab

Archived