The beach with two weeks left to party

geovalin

It’s late afternoon on Otres beach, and the tourists have turned their seats seaward to worship the sinking orange sun. They are here in droves every day, many relaxing with the cheap beer and liberally available marijuana joints that the beach can furnish. Shacks and bungalows stretch almost to the tide line.

It’s a peaceful scene, but only on the surface. Since a fateful eviction note arrived on February 13, life on Otres has been “same same”, but very different.

“Especially today, I came in and I could read it on everyone’s face. We have to do everything we do every day but with this on our back,” said Micky Drudi, who had poured himself a large glass of wine at the end of his shift at Papa Pippo – the popular Italian restaurant and bungalows he co-owns.

“People come and are like, ‘So what’s the news?’” he says, buzzing with anxious energy. “I’ve heard it already 100 times today.”

long article to be read here

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/post-weekend/beach-two-weeks-left-party

We just cancelled our trip to Cambodia due to this. Our last visit to Cambodia found the wonderful people of Cambodia extremely frustrated with the ruler and hopeless situation. Very sad. We'll boycott Cambodia.