Is True Move running a scam with data charges?

elzach

+1 to this, except for:

Handshakes between your mobile and the provider use packets of data

These mostly aren't IP traffic and not counted against your data allowance. Well, maybe some very, very little IP traffic but that's negligible.

On the other hand, just every news, wheather or stock quotes widget, Twitter, Facebook, Whatsapp, Line or any of the zillion apps that run in the background will generate traffic that's counted. Whether you open the app or not. As long as you have mobile data turned on.

Edited by Lannig
  • Like 2

+1 to this, except for:

Handshakes between your mobile and the provider use packets of data

These mostly aren't IP traffic and not counted against your data allowance. Well, maybe some very, very little IP traffic but that's negligible.

On the other hand, just every news, wheather or stock quotes widget, Twitter, Facebook, Whatsapp, Line or any of the zillion apps that run in the background will generate traffic that's counted. Whether you open the app or not.

Agreed, probably didn't articulate that point very well.

My meaning was that any apps whether open or background will initiate handshakes - checking for updated apps, syncing time/location data, etc etc - they don't necessarily have to be the apps the OP would consider as using data.

Any app install has a bunch of "do you agree that this app will' blah blah and that can mean data used regardless of whether anything appears on the mobile to the user

• Like 1

I realise that OP wrote "Auto sync off, background data off"

​Well, theoretically, this should stop traffic from all background apps. But based on my own observation, it does not work for all of them and specifically not for many widgets apps (news, weather etc.)

YMMV.

• Like 1

Phones allow you to turn data off completely, do that!

Background data consumption is catching you... comms apps do that.

My Wi-Fi and data are turned off unless I want to use them, to reduce data and battery use.

Most phones allow you to zero your data consumption totals and then tell you which services and apps are using data.

If that doesn't suit you get a package that includes data, mine covers calls and a limited amount of data at a fast rate, switching to lower data speed at that limit, but incurring no extra costs. The packages available here aren't that great price-wise, they hit me up for SMS, particularly International ones.

It is a battle of wits! biggrin.png

• Like 2

I think points on both sides are valid; turn off data etc. when not needed - but I too like to keep things online and running (like my computer) at the ready - but also, hey, why the discrepancies in charges? My experiences in Thailand dictate that a "running" audit of all transactions to avoid being ripped off is quite warranted! That 10baht savings can buy one of my neighbourhood kids a candy, me a shot of raokao, or even an extra condom.

Edited by TerrylSky
  • Like 1

A bit off topic. I'm using True move and was going to just use the top up service for my tablet for occasional use out side the home.

Is the top up the best option for very light use, maybe just 2 hours a week ?

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Amazing how many posters immediately leap to the "scam" word when they don't understand something.

When I first got a smartphone my credit balance with AIS almost immediately went to zero, twice. A quick search through helpful posts on TV brought me enlightenment and I switched off the "mobile data" thingee on my Samsung phone. No scam, just ignorance on my part. Problem solved.

• Like 1

A bit off topic. I'm using True move and was going to just use the top up service for my tablet for occasional use out side the home.

Of course it depends on what you will be doing in those two hours. Streaming an HD quality film or just accessing an email.

Just buy a package for that day or week or month...

If you've no need for speed, 214 baht gets you 4GB for month at 512 kb/s after which it is slowed down to 64kb/s. *900*8976#

One day package for 10 baht *900*8908# if still in existence or they haven't increased the price. Unlimited use for one day at 512kb/s.

A couple of examples.

Of course it depends on what you will be doing in those two hours. Streaming an HD quality film or just accessing an email.

If you've no need for speed, 214 baht gets you 4GB for month at 512 kb/s after which it is slowed down to 64kb/s. *900*8976#

One day package for 10 baht *900*8908# if still in existence or they haven't increased the price. Unlimited use for one day at 512kb/s.

A couple of examples.

Thanks, it would be just surfing like when waiting at immigration that sort of thing. The day package sounds ok, where can I get that?

A couple of examples.

Thanks, it would be just surfing like when waiting at immigration that sort of thing. The day package sounds ok, where can I get that?

You dial in the code supplied and the press the Dial button. Wait a few seconds and the package will be applied.

If it is in a Tablet with 3G/4G capability and can't be bothered to remove the SIM to a mobile phone to apply, you can perhaps choose a day package via http://hlife.truecorp.co.th/ or http://m.hlife.truecorp.co.th/

• Like 1

Thank you all for the input.

Obviously, we are not talking about 10-20 baht. I was talking about topping up 100 baht for example and expecting to have most of that for calls or sms, instead of it diasappearing a few minutes later on data charges.

As I mentioned, I was on a 7-day data package which had expired a few minutes before.

In any event, I'll just make sure I'm on a data package the whole time from now on.

• 2 years later...

I have a similar thing happening in august 2018. I am only in country a week at a time. I buy these 90 baht top up cards and keep them for arrival.

Everytime I come back its on Zero.  I add 90 and it seems to disappear overnight 12 baht each day.

I am connected to wifi overnight. So its interesting but data not turned off.

Its leaking all the time. Very hard to see where the data and money is going.

I buy the 24 hours or 3 days packages.  I wonder if I have some kind of package I dont know about on it.

How can I check all the packages on it? #123# just gives balance details.

4 hours ago, 2008bangkok said:

True do a unlimited 1mb package for 1 year for about 1500 baht, maybe you should look into that.

AIS do similar 600 baht for 6 months and 1200 per year

Truemove H 1 and 4 Mbps package is the same price as AIS. 

3IWU4Hq.jpg.5bd55650a0bc3f818256c388d999

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gregk0543 said:

I have a similar thing happening in august 2018. I am only in country a week at a time. I buy these 90 baht top up cards and keep them for arrival.

Everytime I come back its on Zero.  I add 90 and it seems to disappear overnight 12 baht each day.

I am connected to wifi overnight. So its interesting but data not turned off.

Its leaking all the time. Very hard to see where the data and money is going.

I buy the 24 hours or 3 days packages.  I wonder if I have some kind of package I dont know about on it.

How can I check all the packages on it? #123# just gives balance details.

Turn off mobile data/cellular data on your phone or switch data off on the SIM; *902*02# calls3.png

To turn it back on; *902*01# calls3.png

To check promotion: *835# then press the dial button.

http://www3.truecorp.co.th/truemoveh/selfservice/prepaid?ln=en

• Like 1