Change retirement to Non-Immigrant B

I currently have a retirement visa. I am going to start working in a big company. They told me, that in order to get a temporary workpermit, I will have to cross the border and get back in with a 15 day "tourist visa". Later I have to go and do my regular visa run and apply for a Non-immigrant visa abroad.

Is there any possibility that I can change a retirement visa into a Non-immigrant visa. I am not married to a Thai.

If I have to cross the border( Mae Sai). Should I take a letter from my company, explaining the situation or will there be no hassle?

Help appreciated

The only way you can do the change is to go to a embassy or consulate to get a non-b visa.

You will not be able to do the crossing to get a visa exempt entry at Mae Sai. They do not allow out/in crossings unless you have a valid visa for re-entry. You will need to go the Chiang Khong crossing to Laos to do it.

Thanks Ubonjoe. Do you know if it is possible to change retirement into Non-imigrant?

You had a non immigrant visa when you applied for an extension based upon retirement. You will not be able to change to an extension based upon working from one based upon retirement since you will not be able to apply for a work permit with your current extension.

In order to get the non-b visa at a nearby embassy or consulate you will need a work permit application approval letter from the Labor ministry.

If you are going to work for a "big" company they should have people to take care of this. I do believe you can get a single entry non imm B visa in places like Singapore or KL with a long list of company documents without the work permit approval.

TH

Wrong info. The nearest location is Hong Kong that will issue a non-b visa without the approval letter and that could change.

• 1 year later...
On 2/28/2016 at 10:15 AM, ubonjoe said:

The only way you can do the change is to go to a embassy or consulate to get a non-b visa.

You will not be able to do the crossing to get a visa exempt entry at Mae Sai. They do not allow out/in crossings unless you have a valid visa for re-entry. You will need to go the Chiang Khong crossing to Laos to do it.

What if you have a non-immigrant B that was last extended for reason of retirement but get a job offer and want to go back to work with a work permit?

5 minutes ago, Usernames said:

What if you have a non-immigrant B that was last extended for reason of retirement but get a job offer and want to go back to work with a work permit?

Most work permit offices will not accept the application for a work permit with an extension based upon retirement.

If you were able to do the work permit application you might be able to change the reason for your extension to working  if immigration were to agree to cancel your current extension so that you could apply for the new one.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Usernames said:

No problem. I did it 8 months ago. It did require a trip to a Thai consulate outside of Thailand.

• Like 1

Just now, allane said:

Savannaket, Lao.

-you will need a lot of documents prepared by your prospective employer.

-overnight stay required. Submit your application in the morning, return the next afternoon for your visa.

Thanks very much.  Appreciate the reply