Airport link Express line?

mmmarcus

I've been reading on different websites that the express line to Makkasan is suspended. Is that correct? It's just the slower line that takes like 30 min to Makkasan that is operating?

If that is the case, any idea on when it will be up and running again?

Quite a few of the city line trains now are modified express line trains, with the carpets and a reduced number of the plush seats, most of them removed to create standing room.

Pity the express route wasn't better planned, as the direct train was very impressive while it ran.

Quite a few of the city line trains now are modified express line trains, with the carpets and a reduced number of the plush seats, most of them removed to create standing room.

Pity the express route wasn't better planned, as the direct train was very impressive while it ran.

But still operating with an empty 4th baggage carriage for the defunct Makkasan check in service (which cost something like 10,000 thb PER BAG when in operation).

I guess eventually they will get round to completing the major engineering feat of laying a new floor in it.

Doomed from the start; first by the difficulty just getting to Makassan in the first place and secondly, the abundance of cheap taxi's in Bangkok. It would cost 2 passengers more to take a taxi to Makassan, haul their bags to the check in area and then pay 2 Express fares than it would to take a taxi directly from the hotel to the airport.

Doomed from the start; first by the difficulty just getting to Makassan in the first place and secondly, the abundance of cheap taxi's in Bangkok. It would cost 2 passengers more to take a taxi to Makassan, haul their bags to the check in area and then pay 2 Express fares than it would to take a taxi directly from the hotel to the airport.

Academic now but that rather depends on where you're travelling from doesn't it? A taxi full of passengers can get to Makassan for 35 baht.

i need to go from airport to soi 6... take the airport line to Phaya Thai and then take taxi to soi 6? I have 1 big suitcase and 1 flight case..is this doable?

thx Mike

Yes. Depending on time of day, you could get hit with a lot of traffic from Phaya Thai to Suk 6. I would suggest switching to the Phaya Thai BTS to Nana station. Walk from there.

If a taxi is needed because of heavy luggage, may be better to get off at makkasan. Taxi route straightforward from there, turn right along phetchaburi rd then soi 3 - soi 4 - soi 6.

During weekday rush hour that trip could 30 minutes up to an hour. Soi 3 is notorious for backing up all the way to phetchaburi. Probably still the best plan though.

TH

I'm usually a proponent of public transportation and try to use all Bangkok has to offer; the BTS, MRT and Airport Rail-Link whenever I can but frankly, coming into the airport, tired with a bunch of baggage at whatever hour is one of those times I advocate you give yourself a break and for the price of a decent lunch in the Western world, take a taxi.

You would probably spend in the neighborhood of B200 anyway for the ARL + the taxi from where ever you get off to Soi-6. Since the taxi directly from the airport will likely be 500-700 Baht, including tolls and airport fee, are your savings really worth the hassle? Just the thought of hauling your bags down the 100+ steps of the BTS should give you pause.

Academic now but that rather depends on where you're travelling from doesn't it? A taxi full of passengers can get to Makassan for 35 baht.

Yes, but that is 150 x 2, 300 plus the 35 minimum. On a good run, a taxi would be less. :)

Just go to the departures floor, walk to the waiting taxi's, ask them for the metre and off you go.

The official taxistand might have long qeueu's and there you can't choose your taxi.

What bothers me about this suggestion is that the taxis in the official taxi queue are playing by the rules. Taxis taking fares from departures are cheating the system and their fellow drivers. Members of this forum are never reluctant to voice their displeasures with Bangkok's taxis and constantly complain about lack of effective regulation and enforcement yet some think it's a great idea to flaunt the rules themselves if it buys them a little convenience.

A taxi driver who attempts to overcharge a prospective passenger based on the latter's skin colour is not "playing by the rules" as you put it. And, I think there is still a surcharge in the order of 50 - 75 baht if you can get a driver on the arrivals level to agree to use the meter. Use the airport train if at all possible, to get you at least part of the way to your destination.

Just go to the departures floor, walk to the waiting taxi's, ask them for the metre and off you go.

The official taxistand might have long qeueu's and there you can't choose your taxi.

The departures area is pretty heavily monitored these days and taxi's are not allowed to loiter for long. Have you done this lately?

The departures area is pretty heavily monitored these days and taxi's are not allowed to loiter for long. Have you done this lately?

Some people just love to proffer this bit of dubious, outdated advice. I think it makes them feel like a wise old hand.

Meanwhile, the taxi system at the airport works fine these days. You rarely have to queue for long, either.

The ARL route to Phyathai and then BTS to Nana Station route is not bad in terms of carrying luggage.

Easy at the airport. Then getting off at Phyathai ARL, you may have to go down one level of stairs with your luggage (last time I arrived there you did). But they may also have an elevator there or escalators available. At any rate, it's going down, not up.

Once down one level, you're on the BTS Sukhumvit Line station level, go right in, and then up escalators one level to the BTS platform heading towards Bearing. About a 10 minute ride to Nana BTS, and then down two flights of stairs to arrive at Suk Road and the corner of Soi 6.

Total price, something around 60-70 baht.

I tend to avoid getting off at Makasan ARL station unless I'm planning to connect to the MRT subway there. No BTS access at Makasan, and the taxi situation there isn't very good, nor is the driving access in and out of that area. Also, the ARL station there is set back quite a walk from the main road where there's better taxi connections.

In contrast, the Phyathai ARL and BTS stations are basically located adjoining each other and are connected by a very short skywalk that takes perhaps a minute to get from the exit of ARL to the entrance of BTS there on the same level.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Yes last weekend, so did many others.

I was not in the mood to go to the official taxistand and wait an hour there. We had loads of huge suitcases. Also i want to pick my own taxi because many are crappy and not comfortable to sit in for an hour.

I like the idea of taking a taxi by number but:

- i don't want to wait in a long line for an hour after a long flight.

- i don't see the need to pay extra for the line

- i don't want to sit in an old barrel

- i'm tired of all the Thai people avoiding rules/laws so i just do the same.

We walked to the departurefloor and within a minute were in a taxi. He didn't help us with the suitcases though so he didn't get any tip. Just the metre-price.

Some weeks ago i took a taxi from the qeueu, when i got home the driver said he would drive back to the airport by tollway to get new customers..that's an hour from my home! So it seems that only certain taxi's are allowed to pickup passengers from that official taxistand. He had a crappy taxi anyway, it couldn't go faster then 80-90 or it started shaking and making noises from under the backseat.

And how can taxi's who deliver passengers at the departure-floor go to the taxistand? Do they have to drive far to get there? I guess they are not even allowed to go there or they have to pay first.

I just don't like the whole system and also don't understand how those kiosk-things work. It was better with the sleeping girls before those kiosks came.

Edited by Thian