How To Go To Mae Jo And Back From Chaingmai?

dennis23

Dear all,

I would be heading to CM for Loy krathong next week. Qn is, is the Khome Loi supposed to be set off at Mae Jo on the night of 3rd Oct Fri? If so, how can I get there and back? By Songthaew? Or Tuktuk? Is there much food and there cos I think need to get there early at say 6 or 7pm?

Its my first day there , arriving in the morning so wanted to do Doi Suthep first before heading to Mae Jo.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Mae Joe has a lot of food. The green songtaews goes there during daylight hours. You could charter a songtaew or a tuktuk but might consider having them wait for you as getting one going back to cm after dark would take a lot of luck. Do not know the time for the baloons.

Khom Lois (hot air balloons) are set off all over the place. A good in-town place would be Wat Chaimongkol on the river. (Charoen Prathet road, South of The Chedi hotel).

What you're referring to in Mae Jo is I guess some temple there that has a HUGE gathering where literally a thousand people all set one off at the same time, which is an amazing sight.

I forgot exactly where it is.

I visited there a couple of years ago and it kind of struck me as being a pretty weird flavour of Buddhism, perhaps related to or part of the then (in)famous Dhammakaya sect? Not sure if this is still going there.

Cheers,

Chanchao