Thailand is the land of smiles? With growing list of violent attacks you have to be having a laugh

webfact

South east Asia is a miserable placebthey only act happy and family.

How happy would you be working for near 5 to ten USD a day forfor over 12 hours work?

Anyone who beleived thaialnd is the land of smiles is naive.

They have political problems , crime aids, prostitution , drugs , slave labour and all other nasty trick up there sleave just to make a buck.

In the months and years ahead of you, the coin will drop at some point.

I don't understand Chang mai

"They have political problems , crime aids, prostitution , drugs , slave labour and all other nasty trick up there sleave just to make a buck".

So tell me, do you think your country doesn't have those things?

"How happy would you be working for near 5 to ten USD a day forfor over 12 hours work"?

Virtually no Thai works for 180 baht (5 Dollars) a day, most work to a much higher figure, one way or the other!

But regardless, the actual number is only relative to the cost of living in that country, 500 baht a day of income when it costs only three hundred baht to live is far better than earning say USD 50k a year minus a whole series of taxes where the cost of living is far far higher. And so on and so on...

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No doubt there are more attacks in the news. But two questions: 1: have the crime rate percentages gone up? If a country goes from 30 million to 60 million one should expect more total attacks. 2: Is it possible we are just hearing about attacks more frequently now because they are more easily reported via social and electronic media, as compared to 20 or more years ago, when there were no websites and blogs reporting everything

A lot of posters like to live in denial when it comes to Thailand.

Comments like nothing has ever happened to me in 10 years here and the farangs bring it on themselves and it iss just as dangerous in Manchester at 10pm on a Saturday night, or the tourist must have provoked the attack or because they raised their voice they got what they deserved...etc etc etc

The stats don't lie thou and for Aussies and Brits at least per capita Thailand is far more dangerous than any other country to visit.

Of course the Thais also know that the consequences of any attack on a farang in the majority of cases is not that much.

A tourist is a free target. You can do what you like and odds are you wont suffer too many consequences as a result. You can rip off a tourist and if they complain you can bash them and nothing much will happen.

The Thais themselves if you talk to most of them full well realise how dangerous thailand is and they take a much more cautious view than many of the long term so called expert farangs that like to live in denial as to the true nature of Thai society.

Comments like nothing has ever happened to me in 10 years here and the farangs bring it on themselves and it iss just as dangerous in Manchester at 10pm on a Saturday night, or the tourist must have provoked the attack or because they raised their voice they got what they deserved...etc etc etc

The stats don't lie thou and for Aussies and Brits at least per capita Thailand is far more dangerous than any other country to visit.

Of course the Thais also know that the consequences of any attack on a farang in the majority of cases is not that much.

A tourist is a free target. You can do what you like and odds are you wont suffer too many consequences as a result. You can rip off a tourist and if they complain you can bash them and nothing much will happen.

The Thais themselves if you talk to most of them full well realise how dangerous thailand is and they take a much more cautious view than many of the long term so called expert farangs that like to live in denial as to the true nature of Thai society.

What you have described is the loss of face concept. It's an Asian thing. No big surprises for those who understand it and it's been around literally for ever so no you don't insult thai men who don't like us much to start with. It is what it is and will NEVER change so accept it or stick to western tourist destinations

It is rather unfortunate for drunken loud mouth bullet proof ozzies and brits who continue to get bashed

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

And you wonder why Thailand is now getting closer to China and Russia and becoming less interested in improving relationships with the West, when foreign media publishes a second grade piece of journalism that damns the entire country. I mean, what does that article actually say and why is it newsworthy, a short piece that reminds everyone that nowhere in the world is 100% safe, sad.

What about the advice from the Foreign Office

What about it? The UK FCO lists all known and potential problems in all countries, if you took their advice literally you'd never leave home again.

The UK and USA must inform us all of any possibility of danger. The reason.. Their (first?) priority is their own staff in foreign locations. So to reduce liability with their workers.. They must be very very conservative and tell them where they can and can not go and where caution should be exercised. So as not to have a double standard... this same info is made public.

When I lived in Canada I used to date a Thai uni student. She had no intention to go back to Thailand and she kept telling me I was stupid for wanting to live there because I don't understand Thai and have no clue how many crimes are committed each day, I kept telling her she knows nothing because "I spent 3 months in Thailand and always felt safe" (loling at my own arrogance here). "Up to you" was her answer.

She dumped my sorry behind and now that I actually live here and read Thai visa every day I am forming another opinion, of course. Nothing bad happened to me, but I do feel she was right.

Land of smiles, never was their a more fake and ridiculous tag line created by a PR team.

Land of Bullsh1t would be far better.

This country is a lie, people, religion, everything.

This country could and more importantly should be a major player in the world order.

The truth....well I could be sent for attitude adjustment if I said that!

This is the lengthy Worldwide Caution bulletin sent to me 3 days ago by the US State Department -- does not mention Thailand.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/worldwide-caution.html

SE Asia --

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/worldwide-caution.html#EastAsia

Edited by JLCrab

"Land of smiles, never was their a more fake and ridiculous tag line created by a PR team."

Mmmm.....what about "Coalition of the Willing" or WMD's in Iraq??

Or Land of the Free.

Or 'Home of the brave'.

or "The sun never sets on the British Empire."

"Land of smiles, never was their a more fake and ridiculous tag line created by a PR team."

Or Land of the Free.

Or 'Home of the brave'.

Or Western Liberal Democracy

Or Land of the Free.

Or 'Home of the brave'.

or "The sun never sets on the British Empire."

Oh yes, baby! biggrin.png

Yes this is bull, there is no landnof smile and Thailand is far from a Western paradise.

We are second class citizens on Thailand and only allowed to sit eat and drink much like a dog can .

Let me lay it on the line for you trapper. If you have money you will live like a king in Thailand however if your a desperate balloon chasers or some guy on 5 years overstay in a 4k/m Pattaya guest house then yes you will be treated like a dog.

Im sorry but maybe you need to go home and put some cash together

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

When I lived in Canada I used to date a Thai uni student. She had no intention to go back to Thailand and she kept telling me I was stupid for wanting to live there because I don't understand Thai and have no clue how many crimes are committed each day, I kept telling her she knows nothing because "I spent 3 months in Thailand and always felt safe" (loling at my own arrogance here). "Up to you" was her answer.

She dumped my sorry behind and now that I actually live here and read Thai visa every day I am forming another opinion, of course. Nothing bad happened to me, but I do feel she was right.

I got exactly the same experience than you. A decade ago i meet a thai student.

When we were talking about thailand, she keep repeating me a thousand time: "you dont know, you dont know"

At this time i was keep thinking to myself "i am a smart guy, i know whats going on in this country"

It took me few years in thailand to realize how wrong i was... and how right she was.

If you meet honest thai people, they will tell you to be extremely careful....because you dont know whats going on in this third world country... you really dont know!

Edited by Bender

Some of it is down to personal experience. Some people commented below the article that Vietnam and Cambodia are much better/safer.

In my 5 years in Thailand I've never been robbed or felt threatened. I went to Vietnam 2 years ago for a holiday and got robbed after 2 days.

Do I dislike Vietnam and think it's unsafe? No. It's just something that unfortunately happened to me.. Can't judge a whole country due to 1 bad incident .

Some of it is down to personal experience. Some people commented below the article that Vietnam and Cambodia are much better/safer.

In my 5 years in Thailand I've never been robbed or felt threatened. I went to Vietnam 2 years ago for a holiday and got robbed after 2 days.

Do I dislike Vietnam and think it's unsafe? No. It's just something that unfortunately happened to me.. Can't judge a whole country due to 1 bad incident .

I've had similar experience. Never had a problem better in Bangkok. In Saigon we were warned constantly about crime in the city, and had only been there for a day when somebody attempted drive-by phone snatching on me.

Bangkok certainly seems safe for such a big city. Back when I lived in London, pretty much everybody I knew had been a victim of at least one crime. Street robberies, burglaries and car theft, mostly. The only person I know here who's suffered a crime had their bad snatched from a moving Tuktuk.

I've had similar experience. Never had a problem better in Bangkok. In Saigon we were warned constantly about crime in the city, and had only been there for a day when somebody attempted drive-by phone snatching on me.

Bangkok certainly seems safe for such a big city. Back when I lived in London, pretty much everybody I knew had been a victim of at least one crime. Street robberies, burglaries and car theft, mostly. The only person I know here who's suffered a crime had their bad snatched from a moving Tuktuk.

Likewise has been my experience. I was robbed in London when my van was broken into, my backpack was ransacked while I was asleep in Casablanca, someone came through my window in Chitwan, Nepal in the middle of the night and stole my camera, my wife and I had some very tense moments with two Cambodian pedicab drivers in Saigon when they demanded more than the previously agreed fare. Only time in 13 years in Thailand I have had problems was when I was attacked by a psycho farang because I asked him to keep his voice down as he was continually chatting during a work meeting. Oh and some small change taken from my pick-up's ashtray while in for service.

Land of smiles, never was their a more fake and ridiculous tag line created by a PR team.

Land of Bullsh1t would be far better.

This country is a lie, people, religion, everything.

This country could and more importantly should be a major player in the world order.

The truth....well I could be sent for attitude adjustment if I said that!

It was true when they invented it. Just got lost somewhere in the years since. I guess you haven't lived in Thailand long though.

Same in Fiji. First time I went early 70s the rural locals had the most wonderful genuine smiles. When I went back some years later, the smile was noticeably missing.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

A guy picks up and moves to Thailand, Maybe gets married. Maybe starts a family. 'Spends a big chunk of the nest egg on a house and a new start. Maybe even starts a business. Or just settles into retirement. In any case, 'puts down new roots. 'Has likely even done so on an irrevocable basis. Most who do that are just not going to be able to bring objectivity to the discussion. They're committed. They're invested. They've made their bed. Emotionally, quite possibly financially, and perhaps because they have a business to talk up, or perhaps even have darker reasons for not wanting to return home, they'd have a very hard time reversing their decision, and so now pretty must just have to make the best of it and glue on a happy face no matter how bad it gets. When they come online here stubbornly insisting that everyone else is wrong and Thailand is truly heaven on earth, you get the impression they're actually seeking reassurance and validation from each other. It's very understandable.

Edited by hawker9000

A guy picks up and moves to Thailand, Maybe gets married. Maybe starts a family. 'Spends a big chunk of the nest egg on a house and a new start. Maybe even starts a business. Or just settles into retirement. In any case, 'puts down new roots. 'Has likely even done so on an irrevocable basis. Most who do that are just not going to be able to bring objectivity to the discussion. They're committed. They're invested. They've made their bed. Emotionally, quite possibly financially, and perhaps because they have a business to talk up, they'd have a very hard time reversing their decision, and so now pretty must just have to make the best of it and glue on a happy face no matter how bad it gets. When they come online here stubbornly insisting that everyone else is wrong and Thailand is truly heaven on earth, you get the impression they're actually seeking reassurance and validation from each other. It's very understandable.

Or perhaps just some people think differently to you. I don't have any of the ties to Thailand that you describe. I just like it here, and don't believe its particularly dangerous compared to other places in the world.