Would you invest in your wife / girlfriend? If so, how?

Rob8891

In general the answer is NO , I wouldn't invest in my wife or girlfriend unless I knew them very well and they had a good business record .

My wife might be an exception ; but one has to expect that any money invested is a write off .

I have substantially rebuilt my wife's house and helped to build another house for her son , where I also bought an additional rai of land .

I bought my wife about 5 baht of gold about 12years ago , most of it has been sold towards buying a large tractor for her son .

Gold jewellery is not appreciated , only in terms of money , I won't be buying any more gold .

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did invest in my Thai wife (legally married). I was of course dubious and gave her only spending money for the first few years. By then it was clear that she was a gem ... brains, business savvy, gave nothing to the family "F ... them they have arms and legs" and was an all around loving wife and great mother. I gave her the money to build our first house. She talked me into buying a bigger plot of land and building two houses with the idea that we would rent the second. She sold both 10 months after building was complete for a clean profit of 45 million. Fast forward 24 years (and 4 kids later). Along the way she lost some money in restaurants and retail outlets ... not her skill set (so keep the investment and risk low until your partner demonstrates real competence ... running a successful business is more difficult than it looks). In real estate development she has made us far wealthier than I could have imagined (5x my annual income) and that is where her expertise resides ... she is an astonishingly good general contractor as well by now. I guess I was lucky, or maybe I made better choices than some (she was not a bar girl and not a hiso). I did take my time to take her measure. Our initial investment was not that big or risky. She learned along the way and was very hands on. She built connections at the land office, banks, real estate companies, sub-contractors etc. We also learned that just because you are good at one thing (in her case real estate) it does not mean you will be a success in other business areas (she had a couple of fails). One more thing .... never ever employ family or freinds in any business I have found that even if trust worthy they are useless as tits on a bull. Good luck.

Been there done it......no matter what they manage to blow it. Done it once on a large scale and once with a restaurant. Both were solid. Unless your going to oversee it. Even then its only a matter of time before they know way more than you ever did and the business ends up in your bedroom. Disaster.......

I am a retiree and me and my girlfriend rent her brother`s large house and land. Being a retiree I have no need to get married to stay in Thailand, which means if she decides to leave she has no claims on me and I point blank refuse to throw money into a business or land and a house that I can`t ever own. Although I love my girlfriend she can still take it or leave it as far as wanting me to put money into anything on trust. What would happen to me if anything happens to her? Who would give a s**t about me if I`m left broke?

if you're a lottery winner or self-made millionaire that`s different because then the person has money to blow and can recover if things don`t work out. At my age now what I all ready have is it, lose it and I`m done. I 100% finance and support my girlfriend and she doesn`t need to work and help her family out at times providing it`s within my budget, so it`s in her interests to support me as it`s more beneficial for her to stay loyal and I`m worth more alive to her then dead. I have the upper hand and intend to keep it that way unless the Thai laws change that give protection and rights over anything I invest in here.

The sloppy lovesick Farlangs who think that plying loads of money into a relationship will forever seal the bargain are dump idiots.

It's good to see some stories with a happy ending (pun intended), but also not surprised at the tales of woe.

I would invest only time in a girlfriend and more in a wife. Quite frankly, I would not marry a woman I could not trust--yeah, yeah, I know easier said than done. Well, spend enough time with her to test her.

The government runs classes on Soi 25 in Naklua that are very cheap (20 baht a session) in massage, hairdressing, manicure and probably other things. Provide a license at the end of the course which can be used to get a job. Have used this once in the past and the bar girl moved on to a Thai massage job

Sent my first real Thai Gf to university and after tried to set her up in a few businesses, making dresses, restaurant, insurance and farming. She basically failed at everything except spending my time and money. That relationship ended after more than 10 years.

My new GF who was attending university when we met and who I have now been with going on 2 years does not really have the time to do a business or anything due to her studies. I do pay all her school fees so I guess I am investing in her future. I also buy gold for all her gifts so she can have something to fall back on in the future if necessary so I guess I am helping out there too. I will not however entertain any idea of setting another Thai girl up in a business unless she pays most of the startup costs with her own money. If they don't invest their own hard earned money they have nothing to lose and will not give it 110% effort. I learned the hard way !

Edited by ttthailand

I would and I did. I gave her 100k to finish her masters degree. I didn't ask or expect to be reimbursed but a few months ago she started paying both the mortgage and car payment from her own money so in two months I broke even, she got a better paying job and my monthly bills went down to next to nothing. Win-win. I almost feel like a kept man ... Your mileage may vary.

She ended up failing because of this Thai trait of too many businesses of the same type opening in the same area. She certainly put in the effort.

This is one of the big problems with Thai people and business. They don't have a lot of imagination. Somebody opens a coffee shop or bar and within six months there are another ten coffee shops or bars within 100 metres. A few years before I met my GF she set up a coffee shop in a shopping mall near Saraburin. Within six months many of the other shops were selling coffee. She had a very profitable six months and then it slowly died.

Somebody in a village starts to grow a different crop and is doing well. The others see how well they are doing and start growing the same crop.

It is generalisation but so many Thai people are happy to work hard but they price their goods way too cheaply to actually make money when they have their own business. Especially handmade goods.

Unless you are a business owner yourself I would suggest any GF goes on a business course and understands the basics before investing in any business in Thailand.

Or do what I plan on doing in the long term and bring the GF to the UK and then start a business here in Europe.

My wife owns the lot ,land ,car everything,our bank accounts are in joint names and even the shirt on my back was bought by her,after 24 years I trust her, if I didn't I wouldn't have married her,by the way she work's and I take it easy,well she is a lot younger than me

People told me never put money in to a thai girl.

I never listened. I put money in to her getting abourdor and made sure at the same time she went for further education. At this time all she had was 8 useless rai of land and an old shack of a house. 8 years on she now has a good job at emigration and a beautiful house, down to her. All I did was help, I didn't have alot of money but I had faith maybe I was lucky. Oh been married 6 years now and couldn't be happier.

My girl wanted to open a salon. Told her I would pay half of the startup. She saved her half, I kept my part of the bargain and she opened a shop and built it from bottom up. Over 2 years now and she has made all the money back. She wanted to repay me but, I declined. She has rebuilt her parent's house and now saving for land. She's done good for herself. I couldnt be more proud of her.

That's a great outcome. Well done! It's good to hear a positive story.

Thanks. Its not all gloom and doom and not all Thais are out to get us. She will never get rich but, she makes enough to live better than most other Thais. She's frugal and generous at same time. Salon workers usually work on commission and when low season comes it can hurt. She guarantees her employee's a steady salary each month even if it means she takes a cut during low season. Karma is really helping her.

Doesnt sound like a thriving business to me. just being real here.

Who are her customers- farang middle age men? one wouyld think thai girls hair need 'tending to all year round.....lol.

Sorry she doesnt meet your standards which, by the way what are?

What are you blabbing about anyways?

When the thread started it seemed to be all doom and gloom and I was beginning to think I was the only person with a Thai wife that was a hard working honest person. Thankfully now others have chipped in with their stories I am happy to see that is not the case.

When we married I was working in the middle east and we both had the foresight to see that when that finished we would be struggling without an income. She suggested opening a rice shop in Bangkok which we did. I fronted all the cash to start the business and supported it with my income during it's initial non-profit year or two. When that cash was no longer needed to support the business she invested it in land.

18 baht sold on the first day which was very disheartening for her to say the least but 8 years on it is now our main source of income. We have payed of the mortgage on the property, paid all the utility bills, school bills, etc and most of that has been from the income generated by the business and in the last 18 months it has been 100% from her efforts

I was forced into retirement 18 months ago at age of 61 and my wife would not hear of me looking for more work. Her philosophy was ( and still is) that I had done my bit and now it was time to relax and she would take care of everything, including me. She has worked damn hard to build the business and my belief is that we have the customers we have because of who she is and the tremendous service she gives.

Yes I help out a bit and lift a few sacks when needed but because of immigration rules I don't do much more that may cause problems and my main job these days is toward the running and maintenance of the home. Got to do your bit and I do so willingly coz I love her to bits.

Money is evil and it makes seemingly normal people go mad and do crazy things.

Money can't solve money problems, just like food can't solve weight problems.

As was mentioned here, invest in time, love and memories.

As was mentioned here, there are a few instances of success, but they were well planned out, if you are willing to gamble on that, go for it. Just don't regret it when it goes bad.

Just for the sake of clarity, do you mean "the love of money, is the root of all evil", instead?

I am looking at investing in a k1 visa and green card so she can come work in the states and make 8 to 10 times more salary doing the same thing she does now...check out girl at tesco.

Kind of a big investment as the paperwork and visa and greencard costs total about 4 grand...and I have to marry her...and I am on the hook for her financially for the next 10 years whether the relationship survives or not.

Though I am pretty confident if it came to that she would exit gracefully...

Hello,

My GF has a lot of good business ideas bur has no start capital.

So I help her and she runs the business.

After she made enough money to pay back she stops it and have a new better idea... but still have no start capital.

I help her again and... again and again.

I always get the invested money back. There is a room full of unsold stuff... her profit biggrin.png

She is happy like that and me too!

wink.png

In my experience investing in a rural noodle shop for your wife is a disastrously bad idea.

I've yet to see one of these shops make money. As someone has to be at the shop all the time, the hubby ends up constantly running errands. Inventory ages and you end up eating a diet of noddle soup and stale kiddie snacks. The shops become hangouts for village alkies and gossips. Idle boned neighbors sit sipping lao khao, on credit if at all possible. The temptation to join a customer for a drink is constant, so there's a risk your drinking can spin out of control. If the shop is in front of your house, your privacy is destroyed. Guys playing dominos start acting like they own the place, and don't be surprised if you hear an unpleasant cackle or receive an unpleasant stare when you emerge from your house or return home. Who do you think will clean the rest room? Arguments with your wife about why the shop is constantly losing money will ensue, and in an effort to get to the bottom of things, you end up monitoring and logging every transaction. Not the way you want to spend your time.

I've never opened a noodle shop for my wife, thank God. I did help her get set up to sell kanom jin at the local talaat nat. It lasted a while, but eventually frittered out. The above observations are based on 3-4 guys in my area who have financed noodle shops for their wives over the years.

If you hit the lottery you wouldn't be asking this question? If your wife or girlfriend didn't ask you this question then you are more than doing you job in taking care of them while they are kicking back.

But if it did come up... like any Bank... what is your business plan, what make you think your idea will succeed and last how can you pay back? Ask them to pitch their idea to a loan officer if the bank will lend them the money then it is O.K. for you to do so.

If you hit the lottery you wouldn't be asking this question? If your wife or girlfriend didn't ask you this question then you are more than doing you job in taking care of them while they are kicking back.

But if it did come up... like any Bank... what is your business plan, what make you think your idea will succeed and last how can you pay back? Ask them to pitch their idea to a loan officer if the bank will lend them the money then it is O.K. for you to do so.

Ive asked mine for the same sort of stuff wen discussing opening a business. All too hard. I just wanted some idea of how much thought shed put into it. I think even if you offered to put a million baht into a business and set it all up for them a business plan or any sort of effort or planning on their behalf would be all too hard. Which kind of gives you an indication of the outcome. Easy come easy go Edited by Kenny202

In my experience investing in a rural noodle shop for your wife is a disastrously bad idea.

I've yet to see one of these shops make money. As someone has to be at the shop all the time, the hubby ends up constantly running errands. Inventory ages and you end up eating a diet of noddle soup and stale kiddie snacks. The shops become hangouts for village alkies and gossips. Idle boned neighbors sit sipping lao khao, on credit if at all possible. The temptation to join a customer for a drink is constant, so there's a risk your drinking can spin out of control. If the shop is in front of your house, your privacy is destroyed. Guys playing dominos start acting like they own the place, and don't be surprised if you hear an unpleasant cackle or receive an unpleasant stare when you emerge from your house or return home. Who do you think will clean the rest room? Arguments with your wife about why the shop is constantly losing money will ensue, and in an effort to get to the bottom of things, you end up monitoring and logging every transaction. Not the way you want to spend your time.

I've never opened a noodle shop for my wife, thank God. I did help her get set up to sell kanom jin at the local talaat nat. It lasted a while, but eventually frittered out. The above observations are based on 3-4 guys in my area who have financed noodle shops for their wives over the years.

An excellent, complete and reallistic summation of things

My girl wanted to open a salon. Told her I would pay half of the startup. She saved her half, I kept my part of the bargain and she opened a shop and built it from bottom up. Over 2 years now and she has made all the money back. She wanted to repay me but, I declined. She has rebuilt her parent's house and now saving for land. She's done good for herself. I couldnt be more proud of her.

ehhh.... she have a sister ?

I envy you guys who've found the right girl. Since moving to the city I've seen what's possible. My experience extends to poorer village girls and all I've seen is laziness, lack of motivation and shallowness. On one hand I guess what would u expect from a poor, uneducated class but on the other hand how does someone who's grown up so hard get such an entitled attitude and no regard for money or the future (extending past today). Most of the ones I've met would love the idea of having a business providing there was no risk or effort on their part...and they could sit for most of the day eating, taking selfies, doing the makeup and playing facebook. As soon as they'd sell 1000 baht they'd want to shut up shop and have a few days off. There'd be no inkling that the 1000 baht she sold represented 800 baht expenses and stock that would need to be replaced and only 200 baht profit. Any help or financial assistance offered is only taken as a weakness to be exploited. My advice to anyone moving here is come here get settled in the city and then select a lady. Pick of the litter. Preferably a lady with a govt job, teacher etc. Forget about the village girls. Most are hopeless

In general the answer is NO , I wouldn't invest in my wife or girlfriend unless I knew them very well and they had a good business record .

My wife might be an exception ; but one has to expect that any money invested is a write off .

I have substantially rebuilt my wife's house and helped to build another house for her son , where I also bought an additional rai of land .

I bought my wife about 5 baht of gold about 12years ago , most of it has been sold towards buying a large tractor for her son .

Gold jewellery is not appreciated , only in terms of money , I won't be buying any more gold .

I learnt that lesson too. Gold is just yellow money they can wear. Everytime we'd have a fight she'd take it off and throw it at me. Became a ritual. Last time I picked it up and cashed it in at the gold shop the next day. Took her a week to lose enough face to ask me where the necklace was. "Oh, I was angry and threw it down the backyard and have looked everyday but can't find it". She was out there for weeks looking haha and is still convinced the woman she hates next door found her gold. Was very gratifying to mess with her head the way she messes with mine :-)

Also i payed for her teenage daughter to do a hair and beauty course,and built a salon,but they seemed more interested in lying around in hammocks,and eating 10 times a day than ever actually chasing custom,same with the shop,as my ex has now opened a resturant,which has zero customers,she has closed her shop,which actually did have customers,turn over,profit and loss,forget it,she called the other night,"i am worried for the future'' i replied dont worry ,you dont have one.

Haha you made me laugh, go one with the replay to the ex wife haha .
classic Marko :-) Where u been?

I learnt that lesson too. Gold is just yellow money they can wear. Everytime we'd have a fight she'd take it off and throw it at me. Became a ritual. Last time I picked it up and cashed it in at the gold shop the next day. Took her a week to lose enough face to ask me where the necklace was. "Oh, I was angry and threw it down the backyard and have looked everyday but can't find it". She was out there for weeks looking haha and is still convinced the woman she hates next door found her gold. Was very gratifying to mess with her head the way she messes with mine :-)

Moral of above story: Spend more time finding the right girl than you spend finding the right sausage.