What would a British exit from the EU, or 'Brexit' look like?

webfact

Hello there, Grouse. :)

I'm happy to have this discussion with you. Just in case, please do not think that I am angry, sometimes, people think I'm launching into a rant on ThaiVisa !

Yes, I have these conversations with friends in the local pub or whatever bar in Thailand. I think these types of conversations are happening throughout Britain, and just about everywhere that British people are at.

Hey, no need to go to the pub, I can have this type of conversation on ThaiVisa !

As I said earlier, I do reckon Britain should stay in the EU, the benefits of staying in are slighty greater than leaving. :)

Yes, that's the thing. The issue is not an obvious one. The Brussels gravy train annoys me as does the lack of democracy and poor accounting.

However, on balance, stay in and sort things out from the inside ?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is all theoretical really as the main island is sinking into the ocean at a rate of 1" per year.

Time to leave the sinking ship as they say.

I am not worried as I live at 200m AMSL, I doubt I will live to the tenth millennium... coffee1.gif

With the global economy and no currency controls this is the nature of the beast

Trying to pull up the draw bridge or being a Luddite won't work

I don't make the rules but I am telling the truth

Lifetime education is key

If you don't understand that then prepare to be trampled under foot...

Sorry

This is too simplistic, you cannot make such sweeping statements and expect it to apply to all, and if they dont comply well tough, according to you.

Well, the simple truth is that low skilled labour jobs will always need to be done, it's all very well you saying "if they dont want to do that get an education" but not all of them can do so. There are many reasons why not, perhaps they need to earn cash to support a family or perhaps they just dont have the capacity to improve themselves through education.

There will always need to be low skilled labour jobs for every economy. The point being made by the previous poster is what happens to the low skilled British workers (and they will always exist) when lower paid labour from Eastern / Central Europe flood into the country?

It's a fair challenge I think.

There is no question that the United Kingdom's manufacturing base is only a shadow of its former greatness.

But one of its strengths, in the modern era, is to excel in niche areas; banking, science and technology, bio-medical

engineering, etc., so it is not entirely a lost cause.

The EU's original raison d'etre was as a common market, which made a lot of sense to the early entrants into the

club. Undoubtedly, the benefits of that market are huge, for Britain, as it is an entity comprising 500-plus

millions.

However, there are larger markets outside of the EU (think India, China, a combined North and South America)

which the United Kingdom could focus on. The idea of being outside the EU is by no means all doom and gloom,

and may be exactly what the UK needs as a kick up the rump to start to manufacture and export "things" again, as

well as concentrating on those niche areas in which it presently has prowess.

I have stated elsewhere that I believe that the EU "ins" are using fear-mongering as their weapon of choice in the

present in/out debate. The positive case for Britain being outside has not yet been aired properly.

Yes they do excel in niche products but that doesn't help the general population. if you go into China or India you will be competing against the know how of at least the Northern countries of the EU and what are you going to sell ? a Rolls Royce with a BMW engine and a bodywork stamped in Germany, OH wait,like the Mini it's owned by BMW, how about electronics ? sorry Siemens and Bosch are way ahead, Hydro dam's, trains ? sorry Siemens will get there first, special steel then, nope, Krupps is there ( incidently my father was in the navy on a monitor ship in WW 2, firing 15 inch shells on to German positions on D-day he noticed that the shells had been manufactured by Krupps)

Come off the grass ! Firing 15 inch shells from a monitor ship, all manufactured by Krupps ! cheesy.gif

There is no question that the United Kingdom's manufacturing base is only a shadow of its former greatness.

But one of its strengths, in the modern era, is to excel in niche areas; banking, science and technology, bio-medical

engineering, etc., so it is not entirely a lost cause.

The EU's original raison d'etre was as a common market, which made a lot of sense to the early entrants into the

club. Undoubtedly, the benefits of that market are huge, for Britain, as it is an entity comprising 500-plus

millions.

However, there are larger markets outside of the EU (think India, China, a combined North and South America)

which the United Kingdom could focus on. The idea of being outside the EU is by no means all doom and gloom,

and may be exactly what the UK needs as a kick up the rump to start to manufacture and export "things" again, as

well as concentrating on those niche areas in which it presently has prowess.

I have stated elsewhere that I believe that the EU "ins" are using fear-mongering as their weapon of choice in the

present in/out debate. The positive case for Britain being outside has not yet been aired properly.

Yes they do excel in niche products but that doesn't help the general population. if you go into China or India you will be competing against the know how of at least the Northern countries of the EU and what are you going to sell ? a Rolls Royce with a BMW engine and a bodywork stamped in Germany, OH wait,like the Mini it's owned by BMW, how about electronics ? sorry Siemens and Bosch are way ahead, Hydro dam's, trains ? sorry Siemens will get there first, special steel then, nope, Krupps is there ( incidently my father was in the navy on a monitor ship in WW 2, firing 15 inch shells on to German positions on D-day he noticed that the shells had been manufactured by Krupps)

Come off the grass ! Firing 15 inch shells from a monitor ship, all manufactured by Krupps ! cheesy.gif

He must have been on HMS Erebus as HMS Terror was lost in 1941. But Krupps shells, they must have been bloody old, ex WW1.

What would a British exit from the EU, or 'Brexit' look like?

Dark.

Apparently the sun will never rise again.

Oh it will rise again, with a dim light. The employers are already thinking about about stopping paid holidays for British workers in the case of a Brexit. When thinking about some of the stupid laws made by the EU one should also consider laws made for the protection of workers rights which GB grudgingly put into place, they certainly didn't like the protection against excessive overtime.

What a load of BS scaremongering. Show me evidence of a company that is planning to drop paid holidays if the UK pull out of the EU? It is just speculation by people who don't want to leave the EU and are using "fear" with the populous to deter against the "out" vote.

Only a fool would believe this...

How about naming these companies ! Go on dare ya !

• 2 weeks later...

About 25 years ago I was involved in the manufacture of gas appliances when the EU came along and said that all gas appliances must carry the 'CE' mark. Today many core industries must comply and the mark means that the goods can be sold throughout the EU and many other countries under reciprocal agreements. Take away the mark and you take away the market.

I have not seen any of the politicians refer to the technical issues that would arise following an exit. I do not know if they are unaware or just out of their comfort zone discussing something the do not understand.

Today, for the first time I have seen a related reference in an article based on findings by the CEP.

"It says post-Brexit the UK would do less trade with the EU because there would be higher tariffs on goods. But also there would be other non-tariff barriers to trade, such as British exporters to the EU having to prove their goods were made in the UK."

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-35842333