Have you seen these foods in the Khon Kaen area?

Ahnsahn

I am trying to learn if these foods are available in the Khon Kaen area:

- NY style bagels

- Nabisco (brand) graham crackers

- Fig bar cookies

- Vegetarian restaurants

- Falafels

- Mid-east restaurants

- Subway sandwich shop

- Vernors (brand) ginger ale

The bakery in Topps Market usually has decent Bagels available...

The only place I have seen Nabisco Graham Crackers is at Villa Market in Udon.. But there must be somewhere that offers some alternative Graham crackers as I have purchased locally produced Cheese Cake with Graham Cracker Crusts...

Fig bar cookies also available at Villa Market in Udon..

Not sure about Falafels or Mid-Eastern Restaurants in Khon Kaen, but Kalasin has a new one opened about two months ago by a nice guy from Jordan... Very Good Menu, and Excellent reviews for patrons...

Subway Shop in "Hugz Mall" ... Same as the chain in the States and so far have enjoyed many good subs there...

I don't like Ginger Ale, so never bothered to look for....

Pianoman

You are a life saver! The family was getting homesick. Looks like we will be making many 1-1/2 hr trips to both Udon and Kalasin!

About the Vernors, it just so happens that a show on the CNN channel, Anthony Bourdain's: Parts Unknown, a show where Bourdain goes all over the world and enjoy the local cuisine, just aired an episode where he was treated to Vernors! I, too, am not fond of Ginger Ale but Vernors is unique. On the show, they explained it to be a cross between Ginger Beer and Ginger Ale. I would say its more of a combination of cream-soda flavored Ginger Ale. W/o the 'bitterness' of Ginger but sweetness. If you ever get to try it, don't forget to add a couple of scoops of vanilla ice cream to make a Boston Cooler float!

Here is a link to Kebab Garden's FB page which should give you more info regarding their menu and location... It is owned and run by a really nice guy named "Mo" and his lovely Thai wife ... If you make the 1 hour drive down to Kalasin call Mo and he can give you excellent directions to his place... Plus mention that "Pianoman / Paul" told you about his place, as I owe him a couple of favors...

https://www.facebook.com/KG.RESTAURANT/

Pianoman

Here is a link to Kebab Garden's FB page which should give you more info regarding their menu and location... It is owned and run by a really nice guy named "Mo" and his lovely Thai wife ... If you make the 1 hour drive down to Kalasin call Mo and he can give you excellent directions to his place... Plus mention that "Pianoman / Paul" told you about his place, as I owe him a couple of favors...

https://www.facebook.com/KG.RESTAURANT/

Pianoman

Will be sure to let them know and many thanks again!

You are a life saver! The family was getting homesick. Looks like we will be making many 1-1/2 hr trips to both Udon and Kalasin!
About the Vernors, it just so happens that a show on the CNN channel, Anthony Bourdain's: Parts Unknown, a show where Bourdain goes all over the world and enjoy the local cuisine, just aired an episode where he was treated to Vernors! I, too, am not fond of Ginger Ale but Vernors is unique. On the show, they explained it to be a cross between Ginger Beer and Ginger Ale. I would say its more of a combination of cream-soda flavored Ginger Ale. W/o the 'bitterness' of Ginger but sweetness. If you ever get to try it, don't forget to add a couple of scoops of vanilla ice cream to make a Boston Cooler float!

Vernor's is aged in oak barrels, not just mixed up in SS vats and on to the bottling line.

It's been one of my favorites since the early 60's, their diet is also very good.

rice555

I'm gonna be a bit out of the mainstream here, but the Bagels in Tops, when they are available, are IMHO nothing more than bread in a donut shape. I have never found any decent bagels here in any store.

I buy my bagels from http://www.bkkbagelbakery.com/.

They ship then EMS, and frankly they are the only bagels I've ever eaten here that actually taste like real bagels from home.

The only other one on the list that I can comment on are the fig cookies. They sell those at Tops

Edited by GinBoy2

The Tops store entrance in Central Khon Kaen, normally on Friday, Saturday, Sunday there is a guy from Laos that sells fresh Laos bread ( the stick kind ), heated if you want then added with salad dressings 45 baht. Yes, it really is Laos bread.

If you are a vegetarian, I am, I buy Spa Foods vegetarian salami with chill from the chill cabinet in Tops ( 60 baht 9 slices ) and ask the bread man to put them in my sandwich.

Eat with oleang coffee.

As an English man who worked in the Middle East for years I can recommend if you are ever in Bangkok and are looking for falafel or other mid-east food the Beirut Restaurant, Sukhumvit Soi 2, Ploenchit Center ( downstairs ), 02 656 7377. The menu is excellent, servings are more than enough, it is always fresh as are the flat breads, Turkish coffee is excellent. I no longer live in Bangkok but still eat at the Beirut every visit - a patron for 12 years now. Almost next door is an Arab supermarket with many of the foods you may be looking for.

- NY style bagels

- Fig bar cookies

- Vegetarian restaurants

- Falafels

- Mid-east restaurants

- Subway sandwich shop

Saw this on another site today, and thought you might be interested.

http://mcp.mihomepaper.com/news/2013-10-20/Community_View/Memories_of_VERNOR_ESTATE.html

I'm gonna be a bit out of the mainstream here, but the Bagels in Tops, when they are available, are IMHO nothing more than bread in a donut shape. I have never found any decent bagels here in any store.

They ship then EMS, and frankly they are the only bagels I've ever eaten here that actually taste like real bagels from home.

The only other one on the list that I can comment on are the fig cookies. They sell those at Tops

..I was going list them as 'NY style bagels', but I wasn't sure if they were known by that name here.

I was not able to order from the web link...has the Bagel restaurant since closed??

- NY style bagels

- Fig bar cookies

- Vegetarian restaurants

- Falafels

- Mid-east restaurants

- Subway sandwich shop

Saw this on another site today, and thought you might be interested.

http://mcp.mihomepaper.com/news/2013-10-20/Community_View/Memories_of_VERNOR_ESTATE.html

Nice article! Must try to get acquaintance to bring me a couple bottles or six-pack later this year!

The Tops store entrance in Central Khon Kaen, normally on Friday, Saturday, Sunday there is a guy from Laos that sells fresh Laos bread ( the stick kind ), heated if you want then added with salad dressings 45 baht. Yes, it really is Laos bread.

If you are a vegetarian, I am, I buy Spa Foods vegetarian salami with chill from the chill cabinet in Tops ( 60 baht 9 slices ) and ask the bread man to put them in my sandwich.

Eat with oleang coffee.

As an English man who worked in the Middle East for years I can recommend if you are ever in Bangkok and are looking for falafel or other mid-east food the Beirut Restaurant, Sukhumvit Soi 2, Ploenchit Center ( downstairs ), 02 656 7377. The menu is excellent, servings are more than enough, it is always fresh as are the flat breads, Turkish coffee is excellent. I no longer live in Bangkok but still eat at the Beirut every visit - a patron for 12 years now. Almost next door is an Arab supermarket with many of the foods you may be looking for.

Yes, I'm vegetarian, too, but this is the first time hearing of Laos bread - I will try it when I'm back in Khon Kaen after Song Kran and thanks for the Beirut Restaurant location in Bkk. I miss those good falafel sandwiches, and Mujadara with rice, vegetarian grape leaves, sauces, etc., that I use to buy at the local Beirut Bakery caterer back home!

..I was going list them as 'NY style bagels', but I wasn't sure if they were known by that name here.

I was not able to order from the web link...has the Bagel restaurant since closed??

Link still works, try again

• 2 months later...

While we're at it... wouldn't it be great to find "English" muffins?