The 50/50 asset split after you married

monners2016

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if it was in the girlfriends name you would still have no chance of getting a 50/50 split on it.how would you expect to get 50% of something you are not allow to own.

If it was a wife, and not a girlfriend, then the divorce court would order it sold and then split the proceeds 50/50, that is how they get around the foreigner not being able to "own"

Even if it was in the girlfriends name you would still have no chance of getting a 50/50 split on it.how would you expect to get 50% of something you are not allow to own.

If it was a wife, and not a girlfriend, then the divorce court would order it sold and then split the proceeds 50/50, that is how they get around the foreigner not being able to "own"

so what about people that have had to sign papers at the land office stating that it is not their money that wifey is buying the land with ,i don't see any divorce court asking a thai to sell land that they legally own just so they can give the foreigner half of the sale money.even if they did the wife could just sell the land to a family member for peanuts and give you half a peanut.

so what about people that have had to sign papers at the land office stating that it is not their money that wifey is buying the land with ,i don't see any divorce court asking a thai to sell land that they legally own just so they can give the foreigner half of the sale money.even if they did the wife could just sell the land to a family member for peanuts and give you half a peanut.

Obviously a highly qualified and experienced person here guys, I do wonder where he got all this information, not from the courts obviously...lol

HL biggrin.png

Obviously a highly qualified and experienced person here guys, I do wonder where he got all this information, not from the courts obviously...lol

HL biggrin.png

Yep obviously experienced enough to not be so stupid as to buy something I can't own and then expect to get 50% of it when it all goes tits up......

Nice constructive and usefull reply by yourself ,thanks for takin the time out to post.

Assets accumulated during a marriage must be split. In my divorce the house was ordered sold and we split the money. Very easy. It really works both ways, the courts dont care about he paper you sign at the land office. In my country the wife would have gotten everything. I think we are safer here!

Correct.............BUT............the house is in the wifes name, and she does not want husband/ex husband to have anything. So the house that has a realistic selling price of 1 million baht is marketed at 2 million baht. Job done, and not in breach of the court.

Sorry to hear of your plight. Seek good legal advice. It will be all about the paper trail gather copies of any documents pertaining to your case and go and see a good Lawyer. You do have rights. Best of luck and please keep the forum posted.

Correct.............BUT............the house is in the wifes name, and she does not want husband/ex husband to have anything. So the house that has a realistic selling price of 1 million baht is marketed at 2 million baht. Job done, and not in breach of the court.

Your post suggests you know exactly what's going on in the OP's life as well the asking price for the property he posted about, or perhaps you've just made a generalised statement.

Assets accumulated during a marriage must be split. In my divorce the house was ordered sold and we split the money. Very easy. It really works both ways, the courts dont care about he paper you sign at the land office. In my country the wife would have gotten everything. I think we are safer here!

Do u believe this your self?I can only conclude that u have never even visited Thailand once otherwise you cant write this down.

Your post suggests you know exactly what's going on in the OP's life as well the asking price for the property he posted about, or perhaps you've just made a generalised statement.
there is no property according to the op just a piece of land which is in the mother's name.....as two other posters have said forget it the land is gone belongs to the mother now.

He only tries to explains u that the Thai will control the land and the house and also controls any sale...So the foreigner ends up with nothing while he is the one who has invested the money...Its clear to me that you have no idea how its works in Thailand.

I take it he is talking about his wife, don't see it mentioned she being a G/F...but I could have missed it. I have always understood that acquisitions gained AFTER the marriage were divided 50/50 in the case of divorce.....no matter who paid for them.

I am not familiar with the OP, just mentioning what I know to be a common scenario using illustrative figures..

If as has been suggested later there is no house, only land, then the same thing can-and does -happen. Overprice it and it remains in the Thai family.

Edited by prakhonchai nick

there is no property according to the op just a piece of land which is in the mother's name.....as two other posters have said forget it the land is gone belongs to the mother now.

It depends on how much good money one wishes to throw after bad. It 'could' be sorted but the costs of doing so would be very expensive. Another member mentioned the value of the land which is a fair point. Likely cost of getting 50% back would be around 2.5 million so 5 million is considered the cut off point. Less than 5 million then better to just walk away. Edited by notmyself

so what about people that have had to sign papers at the land office

stating that it is not their money that wifey is buying the land with ,

...........................................................................................................

could someone correct me but giving money to a Thai to buy land

or house was illegal, i think i read it somewhere.

Amongst all the other things.. all gone.

Grab what you can, if anything left of value and move the **** right on.

Chalk it down to a costly lesson learnt.

You will receive nothing...not even a "thank you" for the "gift" you gave the girls family in better times...

Also to be fair (I'm in a fair mind this evening), it doesn't always happen that way but where the land is transferred to Mom then you know it will.

It's like getting scammed by a tuktuk (the price is per person) so you walk away and learn from it.

And just to add, any rights to assets only applies if the marriage was legally registered at an amphur/khet office.

If the couple just did a village wedding ceremony only, that counts for nothing in legal terms.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK