motorised bicycles.

Gandtee

Motor or engine?

I ride my electric bicycle all the time in Bangkok.

​Impulse -

​What brand/model and where did you buy it? Would you please post a photo or link to see what it looks like? Thank you.

Motor or engine?

​Impulse -

​What brand/model and where did you buy it? Would you please post a photo or link to see what it looks like? Thank you.

I was thinking of engine.

i bought mine around Wong Wian Yai BTS station, but LA Bicycles has shops all over Thailand

The father in law rides his e-bike on the roads everyday. His is an E-ZE 2400 with a sticker on it saying LA E-ride. The batteries last approx 2 years.

Thank you, "impulse" and "Farma". Very interesting. Nice way to get out, early on a Sunday morning, and go exploring the little sois around town.

Motor or engine?

​Impulse -

I was thinking of engine.
http://roadwingbike.com/

surely thats then a motorcycle?

I can't speak for Thailand, but if it has functional pedals, less than 50CC (or maybe it's 35CC?), it's governed at less than 20 MPH (30 kph), and weighs less than 100 lb (excluding battery), it is legally a bicycle in the USA. That's valid for gasoline, or e-bikes.

That means it's governed by the CPSC, and not the DOT. Which makes lighting, braking, registration, etc. a lot simpler. It's legal to use them anywhere it's legal to use a bicycle. And that's Federal Law, so states cannot (but some try to) treat them differently than a pedal bike.

In Thailand, your mileage may obviously vary.

Edited by impulse

I can't speak for Thailand, but if it has functional pedals, less than 50CC (or maybe it's 35CC?), it's governed at less than 20 MPH (30 kph), and weighs less than 100 lb (excluding battery), it is legally a bicycle in the USA. That's valid for gasoline, or e-bikes.

That means it's governed by the CPSC, and not the DOT. Which makes lighting, braking, registration, etc. a lot simpler. It's legal to use them anywhere it's legal to use a bicycle. And that's Federal Law, so states cannot (but some try to) treat them differently than a pedal bike.

In Thailand, your mileage may obviously vary.

New York State and New York City have both ruled that e-bikes need to be registered to be legal with the Catch-22 that they don't meet the requirements for registration. Enforcement under that situation, as you implied, is impossible. But since e-bike users in NYC are the worst road users at following any kind of rule, enforcement by other means would/could be easy.

if e-bike users were no more disrespectful of road rules than bicyclists in NY, I'd have no problem with them. I'd certainly like to see more of them in Thailand which is perfect for e-bikes. Unfortunately, car ownership will increase faster, while e-bike users will come from the ranks of bicyclists.

And none of this has anything to do with the legality in Thailand, but I'd like to see the police stop someone on an e-bike and have them write up a summons.