Wifes Salary Sufficient?

Hi all. Apologies in advance if this has been covered in other threads but there's such a wealth of info on this site it's hard (for me!) going through it all.

I'm still a bit confused about the new visa regs

At the moment I'm on a non-B with a W/P. My wife also works.

For my own reasons I want to change my non-B to a non-O next year.

I know the previous regs said I needed 400k in a Thai bank to get non-O. Is that now scrapped? I'd rather keep my money in a western bank.

My wife earns in excess of 40k per month. So are the new regs 40k a month between us and no money at all required in the bank? And would it be sufficient for my wife just to provide the proof of her earnings rather than me presenting my proof of earnings as well? (I'm trying to streamline the process if possible!)

Thanks in advance for any help and once again my apologies if this has been covered to death on the forum already. :o

My wife earns in excess of 40k per month. So are the new regs 40k a month between us and no money at all required in the bank?

Correct

And would it be sufficient for my wife just to provide the proof of her earnings rather than me presenting my proof of earnings as well? (I'm trying to streamline the process if possible!)

yes

I'd be curious myself to know if anyone has pushed this through? Anyone? Has this been done?

We do extensions of stay based on marriage, on average three times a day. No problems. They'll just smile ( The smile of needing to say "No" , to that couple) if you show money, its all about income. ( After Oct 1st, 2006 with new applicants)

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Who cares if they look at you as Andy Capp... not that they would know who Andy Capp was.

My wife and I discussed this the other day and she has no problems appearing as the bread winner for the sake of showing immigration that we 'together' have sufficient monthly income to obtain a visa and to keeping her husband here.

She has even mentioned something about a U94 Tax form which immigration advised she should complete as evidence of her tax being paid. What's more this U94 tax form allows for an 80% tax discount and as it's all done by the wife and not me on income that she is declaring then I can just take a back seat, eat some popcorn and let her get on with it.

It's nice to be a kept man on paper or otherwise in Bonking Bangers it really is.

Edited by Casanundra

Yes – she makes more money than me

Yes – I have no job and not intend to get one

Yes – she doesn’t mind supporting me and the kids

Yes – she brings meat and rice home

No - I don’t know where she got them from and don’t care – as long as they are there when I woke up

I kinda like and don’t mind being a “kept man” and labeled as “trophy husband” for a change!

Can I just ask, are we talking about a Thai wife here of Farrang. Does it make a difference??

I'm a farrang with my farrang wife (working on 40k+) and I want to obtain an O-visa. I'm a kept man and I love it, just sick of staying on tourist visa's.

Sunbelt: What is the average cost of obtaining this visa through your company?

PM me if you don't want to discuss money on the forum.

Thank you

OliG

I'm just concerned they'll mark me down as some sort of Andy Kapp if I just use my wifes salary as proof instead of my own maxx!

who care what they think, they made the rule i play by their rule, nothing more nothing less, since when did the immigration ever care of what you think.

but than again you must consult with your wife before making this move, honestly she make 40k to support us, but on the other hand we also have 80k to make her happy, good trade off for her don't you think, you wouldn't be living in Thailand with out any money would you?

but its nice to be call "trophy husband", not everybody get to be one, the chance of being one is very very low.

Can I just ask, are we talking about a Thai wife here of Farrang. Does it make a difference??

I'm a farrang with my farrang wife (working on 40k+) and I want to obtain an O-visa. I'm a kept man and I love it, just sick of staying on tourist visa's.

Thank you

OliG

i don't belive so, because both of you are not Thai citizen, both are foreigner, there for you both are just like us, and both have no right/vote/etc...

Can I, as a private person, employ my wife and pay her the 40K/month. She pays the tax. Just over 2K/month and everything is OK as far as Immigration is concerned?

I have the capital, not the income.

Thanks

/t

Yes if she would be working for you on a project outside Thailand. If the project was inside Thailand, then you may be required to have a work permit.

Yes. This is based on marriage to a Thai.

Get a dependent visa with your wife. As long as she has an extension of stay based on business.

We are proud of the fact that we are very transparent in our fees.

Our professional fee is 3,900 Baht and the government fee is 1,900 Baht.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Get a dependent visa with your wife. As long as she has an extension of stay based on business.

We are proud of the fact that we are very transparent in our fees.

Our professional fee is 3,900 Baht and the government fee is 1,900 Baht.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

This sounds very reasonable, I thought I'd be looking a 10K+. I'm sorry to ask here but what are the requirements for the dependant visa? ie what documents would you require, how much income/cash in bank and roughly how long would it take. My wife is on a Non-B with the usual 90 day reporting (Teaching in international school) and I'm on a 60 day tourist visa (double). Is it possible to convert the tourist visa in bkk?

EDIT: Just spoke to my wife and she's very happy with the costs you gave. Do I contact yourself or is this a common proceedure in your office? (reason I ask is when living in Koh Samui, I was informed that there is no visa for someone in my circumstance ie hard working wife, husband lazy git sitting at home playing on the XBOX all day). :o:D

Edited by OliG

We do extensions of stay based on marriage, on average three times a day. No problems. They'll just smile ( The smile of needing to say "No" , to that couple) if you show money, its all about income. ( After Oct 1st, 2006 with new applicants)

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Sunbelt, how about those that are already on yearly extension before Oct 1st ? Are they allowed to continue with the 400k or must they use the 40k monthly income proof ?

I'm sorry to ask here but what are the requirements for the dependant visa? ie what documents would you require, how much income/cash in bank and roughly how long would it take.

1. Application form

2. Copy of passport of the applicant

3. Copy of passport of the foreigner who is granted permission to stay in Thailand.

4. Copy of documents showing the relationship( marriage certificate)

5. Copy of work permit of the foreigner who is granted permission to stay in Thailand.

My wife is on a Non-B with the usual 90 day reporting (Teaching in international school) and I'm on a 60 day tourist visa (double). Is it possible to convert the tourist visa in bkk?

Yes you can change the visa without going outside Thailand, the professional fee is 3,900 Baht and the government fee is 2,000 Baht to change from a tourist to a non immigrant "O" visa. On the otherhand you can get a "O" visa at a Embassy outside Thailand.

EDIT: Just spoke to my wife and she's very happy with the costs you gave. Do I contact yourself or is this a common proceedure in your office? (reason I ask is when living in Koh Samui, I was informed that there is no visa for someone in my circumstance ie hard working wife, husband lazy git sitting at home playing on the XBOX all day). :o:D

Standard in our office but feel free to ask for me and I'll introduce you to one of the English speaking Thai lawyers who will process the paperwork.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Sunbelt, how about those that are already on yearly extension before Oct 1st ? Are they allowed to continue with the 400k or must they use the 40k monthly income proof ?

They can use either option.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Can I, as a private person, employ my wife and pay her the 40K/month. She pays the tax. Just over 2K/month and everything is OK as far as Immigration is concerned?

I have the capital, not the income.

Thanks

/t

Yes if she would be working for you on a project outside Thailand. If the project was inside Thailand, then you may be required to have a work permit.

This has to be very doable. You say "May" be required to have work permit.

How about if the wife is a Personal Assistant or something equally vague?

Actually, I don't really see the logic in having to have a work permit to employ somebody.

Are you really sure about that?

I would not be working. And just to be very clear, I am not.

Thanks

/t

Why would you be paying your wife an income to show the 40k per month?

Just transfer the money monthly into her account to show history of income coming in (if requested) and get her to fill in the appropriate tax form showing she has paid tax on the equivalent of earning 40k per month less any tax discounts she is entitled to and bobs your uncle and fanny is your aunt job done! :D

Beats me why you are messing around trying to fudge things by showing she is employed by you as it isn't necessary for this to go through immigration. :o

Edited by Casanundra

Casanundra

Presently my wife is not registered to pay tax.

If she went to the local tax office and asked to register for tax I am pretty sure they would like to know Why?

Without an employment that might be a bit hard to explain.

I remember when I registered for tax in order to get something back from the tax payed on interest. It was not as easy as one would have thought it should be.......

Don't have that kind of income any longer, neither does she, and thus are no longer registered for tax.

/t

Actually, I don't really see the logic in having to have a work permit to employ somebody.

Let’s say you said, she is working on a project for me inside Thailand. Then the next question is Do you have a Thai company? Are you a sole proprietor? Do you have an Alien Business License? Do you have a work permit? etc etc.

If she was working on a project for you outside Thailand, then you can see how these questions could be answered more clearly.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Let’s say you said, she is working on a project for me inside Thailand. Then the next question is Do you have a Thai company? Are you a sole proprietor? Do you have an Alien Business License? Do you have a work permit? etc etc.

If she was working on a project for you outside Thailand, then you can see how these questions could be answered more clearly.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Maybe I am slow today, but this exactly what I can't wrap my head around.

Why can't I as a private person employ somebody (my wife) to for example be my P.A. or my fulltime translator or whatever, without it having to be tied to a workpermit, or a business?

I have transferred most of my assets to Thailand and just sell off some stocks when I need money.

As you know that doesn't incur any tax. My company abroad has been sold and to be frank I don't really have any ties left to my home country. A "Project" a you suggest would be pretty hard to arrange and projects are usually limited in time and scope. I was looking for a solution that could be used in perpetuity.

Thanks

/t

I think I have the solution for you.

Thai tax form U94 is designed for those Thai's who say own a food stall or a clothes stall on the street somewhere and she is entitled to 80% discount on any tax she pays (so I am told) for having such a business.

Just get the wife to raise a U94 declare the business as being a clothes store in say Koh Sarn Road and earning the equivalent of 40k per month and that I think is sufficient for your and her needs.

At least this is how the wife explained it to me after she spoke to her accountant at work about ways to get past the current system on immigration visas for married guys.

Edited by Casanundra

Why can't I as a private person employ somebody (my wife) to for example be my P.A. or my fulltime translator or whatever, without it having to be tied to a workpermit, or a business?

/t

This is my logic…..

If you want to “employ” you wife and pay her monthly income – then this is a business contract (you as an employer, she as your exclusive employee) – then you must get a business license & work permit

If you don’t want to get a work permit – for yourself

You can still hire your wife as a PA or translator and pay her monthly income…..

In this case your wife will have to become an independent agent/contractor and therefore can not work exclusively for you & she has to get a business license in order to do this.

The only catch is…..since she has chosen to be an independent agent/contractor…..she’s now has to have other customers beside you as well, - otherwise according to the business law, you will have the risk of being discovered of running a “money laundering scheme”.

I’m not a lawyer but this is what my commonsense tells me

Am I right or close enough?

/t

This is my logic…..

If you want to “employ” you wife and pay her monthly income – then this is a business contract (you as an employer, she as your exclusive employee) – then you must get a business license & work permit

If you don’t want to get a work permit – for yourself

You can still hire your wife as a PA or translator and pay her monthly income…..

In this case your wife will have to become an independent agent/contractor and therefore can not work exclusively for you & she has to get a business license in order to do this.

The only catch is…..since she has chosen to be an independent agent/contractor…..she’s now has to have other customers beside you as well, - otherwise according to the business law, you will have the risk of being discovered of running a “money laundering scheme”.

I’m not a lawyer but this is what my commonsense tells me

Am I right or close enough?

This very much so in the lines of what I was going to say.

You don't want to "employ" your wife. You want her to be self-employed and have you as a client that happens to require her service for about 40,000 THB per month.

I think it's 50 THB for a Thai to register as a self-employed person, pretty cheap.

Thanks

/t

Lets suppose you (farang) are retired with all papers valid, and money and all..

Does this mean you can't legally hire a nurse, or driver, gardener, cook .... without having a work permit? Meaning you are legally required to hire them "under the blanket"??

Sunbelt, please tell me that can't be true!!!

Sunny

Umm, I'm not aware of that. All I know about is the "Arm's Length" principle that is applied when dealing with deductible expenses, capital distributions, tax deferrals, etc.

Could you please elaborate?

Does this mean you can't legally hire a nurse, or driver, gardener, cook .... without having a work permit? Meaning you are legally required to hire them "under the blanket"??

Sunbelt, please tell me that can't be true!!!

We need to see it as they (maid, driver) are self-employed individuals, providing a service to a customer (you). They are self employed and they aren't working for you - they are working for themselves and they have you as a customer.

The problem with that is I believe the authorities will see them as "employees" and not a "self-employed" person because you (customer) are providing the working tools and you are imposing a schedule.

It raises the question of - can you have an employee that is providing personal services? I don't know. My comment is based out of this thread, where we discussed something similar.

Edited by kudroz