Muang Tam stone castle attracts tourists to Buri Ram

webfact

Muang Tam stone castle attracts tourists to Buri Ram

BURI RAM, 7 march 2016 (NNT) – Scores of Thai and foreign tourists visited the ancient Khmer Muang Tam stone castle in Buri Ram province on Sunday. “Kam Truem,” a traditional folk dance of Thais of Cambodian descent, was performed for them at the place.

The Muang Tam stone castle was built in the 16th – 17th B.C. in Prakhon Chai district in Buri Ram province. The stone castle used to be a Hindu religious place of the ancient Khmer architecture. All five buildings of the castle are surrounded by a cloister decorated with elaborately-carved lintels and arches. The ponds surrounding the castles are decorated with five-headed Naga sculptures.

The tourists also watched the “Kam Truem” folk dance performed with the songs composed by Khmer people in Surin, Buri Ram and Si Sa Ket provinces. Some of the foreign tourists joined in the dance with the performers.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-03-07 footer_n.gif

Did they want spectators and visitors? Didn't do a great deal to promote the event. I live close by and like many of my neighbours knew nothing about it.

Had an event there just a week ago, with movie stars, but once again poor promotion left just families of those involved attending!

One of my favourite Khmer sites, full of atmosphere.

I don't see how they could accommodate a large number of spectators, certainly not within the walls.[/quot

Also my favourite Khmer site. Don't tell everyone, I don't want it getting crowded with tourists.

Did they want spectators and visitors? Didn't do a great deal to promote the event. I live close by and like many of my neighbours knew nothing about it.

Had an event there just a week ago, with movie stars, but once again poor promotion left just families of those involved attending!

... and yet it was "packed" according to locals.

How many more do you need ?

Awareness must have been by sixth sense then ?? biggrin.png........... there is a bit of that goes on in the area!

Get the facts right; this compound cannot have been dated 16th/17th century B(efore) C(hist) as the Khmer empire itself itself had its heydays +/- 1'000 years ago; otherwise Muang Tam would predate Rome wai2.gif

Muang Tam was built about 100 years after the Khao Panom Rung Castle some 5 kilometers up the mountain (volcano). So it dates from the late 12th century AD. My best friend and trustee (Folke) for our foundation lives directly behind the Muang Tam. Great quiet place to visit, small village atmosphere, friendly people.

Get the facts right; this compound cannot have been dated 16th/17th century B(efore) C(hist) as the Khmer empire itself itself had its heydays +/- 1'000 years ago; otherwise Muang Tam would predate Rome wai2.gif

Muang Tam was built about 100 years after the Khao Panom Rung Castle some 5 kilometers up the mountain (volcano). So it dates from the late 12th century AD. My best friend and trustee (Folke) for our foundation lives directly behind the Muang Tam. Great quiet place to visit, small village atmosphere, friendly people.

OK, Phanom Rung I recognize. That's one of the few places I really, really want to visit. But that's a temple. Why are they calling these places "castles." Don't they know that castles are fortifications used in warfare? I am aware that even educated Thais have serious gaps in their knowledge of foreign languages and cultures, but castles are mostly not fantasy palaces like the Disney Fantasyland Castle (based on the Bavarian palace of Neuschwanstein, which I was able to visit). Ah well, if this is the most important complaint I have today it will have been a good day.

OK, Phanom Rung I recognize. That's one of the few places I really, really want to visit. But that's a temple. Why are they calling these places "castles." Don't they know that castles are fortifications used in warfare? I am aware that even educated Thais have serious gaps in their knowledge of foreign languages and cultures, but castles are mostly not fantasy palaces like the Disney Fantasyland Castle (based on the Bavarian palace of Neuschwanstein, which I was able to visit). Ah well, if this is the most important complaint I have today it will have been a good day.

Because it is not really a temple (any more than Angkor Wat is really a temple).

Both Phanom Rung and Muang Tam are preceded by the words "Prasat hin" meaning stone castle.

Phanom Rung It was a Hindu shrine dedicated to the god Shiva, and symbolises Mount Kailash, his heavenly dwelling.

Wiki is as good as anywhere to start:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phanom_Rung_Historical_Park

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prasat_Muang_Tam

B.C. = Buddhist Calendar. More usually B.E. (Buddhist Era) to avoid confusion.

When I first visited this area 30 years ago the restoration of Phanom Rung had been completed but Muang Tam was merely huge piles of stones in a cleared area. The outer wall didn't exist and you could wander about at will.

About 25 years ago they started to restore it. The walls went up first enclosing the place and they started charging an entrance fee (of course). It took about 10 years for the restoration to be completed.

Although not as spectacular as Phnom Rung it is a quiet serene place and well worth a visit. Muang Tam is not nearly as well known as Phnom Rung and therefore not as popular.

One more thing, in the shops and restaurants just across the road from the Muang Tam entrance you can buy a beer, whereas at Phanom Rung you can't, it's in a National Park.

B.C. = Buddhist Calendar. More usually B.E. (Buddhist Era) to avoid confusion.

I learnt something new today (gets rarer the older you get). Nice one Isanbirder!

The fact that there is some really interesting place out there that most of us Isanites - who travel through such an Isaan province with alarming regularity (and, hitherto, without stopping) - have never heard of, is of course not a new learning experiencesmile.png

Edited by SantiSuk