Stickman Versus Not Stickman Bangkok  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favourite?

• Stickman Bangkok is my Favourite
    • John Galt (Not Stickman) is my favourite
    • Never heard of either of them
    • Couldn't give a flying Cahoonas!

This poll is closed to new votes

I agree, I was interested to see Stick post an article about the law under the 1997 constitution about displaying pictures and privacy issues in Thailand.

Maybe he is rattling a sabre at John Galt on the slander issue as well because quite frankly John galt is sort of edging his bets with the photos and things he says and although this week he too was indicating that Stickman may find himself in trouble (along with his writers) I cannot help but wonder if John galt could be facing a similar predicament with the things he is writing about too.

What I read on the Galt site this week is going overboard on his stickman attack. Clearly at this point he has stepped over the line talking about Stick doing illegal things to make cash and about familes of Thai girls possibly taking violent revenge against the man for aiding in cutting off their funds. At 1st he was a laugh and harmless but now he's gone too far. If I'm the stickman, I'd not be a happy man reading this week's nonstick columns

I agree.

Galt is a nasty want-to-be Stickman without the insight or talent.

He should crawl back underneath his rock! :o

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its seems to be that galt is writing for 1 sort of person and that is the bar crawling whore mongers and respect doesn't seem to come into it.

if this is your game you might think galt is a top fellow. :D

each to his own i suppose. :D

Agreed. I don't understand why he seems to have such a personal vendetta against the real Stick though? :o Maybe a dissatisfied customer of one of those hilarious "Bargirl Investigations" that he offers? :D

Anyone care to offer a suggestion?

Having not met either Stick or John Galt it is difficult to make a guess.

Maybe John Galt was refused a readers submission on Stickman and so decided to publish in a different way instead.

Certainly Stickman no longer writes about the sex industry and hasn't done so for a long time and I guess that has annoyed a few of the mongers out there who care about such things.

its seems to be that galt is writing for 1 sort of person and that is the bar crawling whore mongers and respect doesn't seem to come into it.

if this is your game you might think galt is a top fellow. :D

each to his own i suppose. :D

Agreed. I don't understand why he seems to have such a personal vendetta against the real Stick though? :D Maybe a dissatisfied customer of one of those hilarious "Bargirl Investigations" that he offers? :D

Anyone care to offer a suggestion?

i think that because this is an internet forum people get a bee in there bonnet about an issue and then things explode from there.

this could have happened between galt and stick.

galt has decided he don't like stick anymore and has decided to start his own forum with conflicting views and bang away at stick.

good crack for a while but gets boring real quick.

if the said people could meet face to face over a few beers and a chat things would be resolved and they could possibly find middle ground.

i've meet people of this forum who come across totally different in the flesh and imagine these 2 would be no different.

we see it on the forum all the time with certain personalities clashing and then the war of words develop. :o

we have a good moderation team happening here which step in when it gets out of order.

there don't seem to be any moderation on galts forum by what i've read so far.

i don't like his forum for this reason .

when i first come across it i was amused but now i can see what it really is and that is a place for the radicals to write there distorted views.

cheers. :D

I have met stickman on more than one occasion. I can say that generally he has mellowed some after he got married. But I also know that he is quite possibly the most influential non Thais in Bangkok and anyplace nightlife exists simply because of his websites popularity. He actually gets more hits that most newspaper websites. What he writes has a significant effect on what the profits are like in the immediate days following. If a bar gets some bad press from him the take is way down. This serves the patrons best in that it forces the bars to fix the problems quickly. I have actually seen the popularity of a nightspot drop off if he elects not to talk about it. I guess you could call it ‘the route 66 effect.’

If you take into consideration Dean Barrett’s website who does a bi-monthly column that actually is very funny to read, or the Asia Bugle who’s bi monthly column is flavored as the bar hopping customer looking for the best deal and friendliest ladies, you already have a plenty to read.

Dave the Rave’s short lived column was short lived as a result of needing to pass a female censor in the states. Simply he could not write what he wanted and got fed up with it. There is talk that he may join up with stickman at some point to do a bi-monthly midweek to keep information more real time.

To take a shot at stickman I think may turn a profit for John, but in the long run I think it may encourage some places not to be so mindful of the power of stickman and expose patrons to more undesirable situations.

I have met stickman on more than one occasion. I can say that generally he has mellowed some after he got married. But I also know that he is quite possibly the most influential non Thais in Bangkok and anyplace nightlife exists simply because of his websites popularity. He actually gets more hits that most newspaper websites. What he writes has a significant effect on what the profits are like in the immediate days following. If a bar gets some bad press from him the take is way down. This serves the patrons best in that it forces the bars to fix the problems quickly. I have actually seen the popularity of a nightspot drop off if he elects not to talk about it. I guess you could call it ‘the route 66 effect.’

If you take into consideration Dean Barrett’s website who does a bi-monthly column that actually is very funny to read, or the Asia Bugle who’s bi monthly column is flavored as the bar hopping customer looking for the best deal and friendliest ladies, you already have a plenty to read.

Dave the Rave’s short lived column was short lived as a result of needing to pass a female censor in the states. Simply he could not write what he wanted and got fed up with it. There is talk that he may join up with stickman at some point to do a bi-monthly midweek to keep information more real time.

To take a shot at stickman I think may turn a profit for John, but in the long run I think it may encourage some places not to be so mindful of the power of stickman and expose patrons to more undesirable situations.

I think this 'Stickman nightlife influence' depends on the areas that you would frequent in the evenings ... Very few people will know the name Stickman in the Khaosan road area but then again this is a much more transient backpacker scene which is much less influenced by expat forums.

Galt did have a decent piece this week on a girl he was in bed with who received a call from her overseas bf and how crafty she was as she cheated on the guy. A piece like that is helpful to folks who take heed. Stick has helped me in my personal life with checks and balances to use in my relationship. Had I not read that column 2 years ago, I'd have had a cheating gf and possibly a terminated relationship but more likely cheating behind my back. Thank you stick sincerely

I have met stickman on more than one occasion. I can say that generally he has mellowed some after he got married. But I also know that he is quite possibly the most influential non Thais in Bangkok

Really ? That'll come as news to Bill Heienecke. :o

Influencing a few piss-heads into a girlie bar - yes, most influential farang in bangkok - no.

I have met stickman on more than one occasion. I can say that generally he has mellowed some after he got married. But I also know that he is quite possibly the most influential non Thais in Bangkok

Influencing a few piss-heads into a girlie bar - yes, most influential farang in bangkok - no.

Well I guess if you don’t consider money influential you would be right. He can make the difference of a bar making 20,000 ThB a night or over 100,000 ThB. How long does it take you to make 80,000 ThB?

Would that influence you?

Galt did have a decent piece this week on a girl he was in bed with who received a call from her overseas bf and how crafty she was as she cheated on the guy. A piece like that is helpful to folks who take heed. Stick has helped me in my personal life with checks and balances to use in my relationship. Had I not read that column 2 years ago, I'd have had a cheating gf and possibly a terminated relationship but more likely cheating behind my back. Thank you stick sincerely

this is a very nice post as its shows that all people have something to add and the op has been helped by galt and stick. :D

so i suppose we have to keep things in context especially in los were anything goes, that is until one gets caught out. :o

Well I guess if you don’t consider money influential you would be right. He can make the difference of a bar making 20,000 ThB a night or over 100,000 ThB. How long does it take you to make 80,000 ThB?

2 weeks on a good fortnight. :D

This is something of an aside, and I apologize for not having read the whole thread and for any resulting irrelevancy, but did the forum ever hear further from the American man who asked for advice on the situation with his Thai wife a few months ago ? Unfortunately I can't remember his screen name.

It was quite a gripping saga and the thread ran to some dozens of pages. The man spent a few months per year in Thailand. He received an email telling him his Thai wife was involved with another man, possibly a policeman. His pick-up truck had been damaged in an accident ... anyone else remember this story ?

It would be interesting to hear back from the OP.

I usually like going to forums with Thai stories. Its always interesting to see what the latest twists are in the LOS.

For some reason, I did not really like reading Stickman.com.

I went to Galt's site and enjoyed the readings. Maybe because he broke it more into paragraphs, had decent photos with a story behind it, or whatever.

It seems like a decent source to read up on things we can't discuss on TV here.

I don't know the "Notstickman" but I think Stickman was more entertaining when he was a simple school teacher and whore-monger. Being respectable and Hi So doesn't become him.

Seconded

Making that change, he seemed to try a little too hard, like getting religion in a way. It just didn't seem comfortable somehow.

John Galt is just jumping on the Stickman bandwagon trying to make buck out of someone who is already successful.

Stickman has provided a service that many people appreciate. It is not the definitive word on all things Thai but it does often some interesting tidbits and general info on many things Thai. As with any opinion based column it has its good and bad days.

On the other hand nonstickman is really as another poster put it just a one trick pony and while quite amusing at first read becomes very tiresome and really impossible to sustain long term.

Edited by Tolley

Yer, I'll go along with that Perdo - his influence is restricted and he is be no means anywhere near the most influential farang in Thailand. Bill Heinecke would laugh his head off if he read that, and so would a couple other ex-pats in Thailand who stay in the background but who's business ineterests come into our lifestyles almost everyday without us even realising it.

Stickman is a entertaining read on a lifestyle that reflects his experiance of Thailand, but what's news today is forgotten tomorrow - and he is the first to realise that.

Tim

Yer, I'll go along with that Perdo - his influence is restricted and he is be no means anywhere near the most influential farang in Thailand. Bill Heinecke would laugh his head off if he read that, and so would a couple other ex-pats in Thailand who stay in the background but who's business ineterests come into our lifestyles almost everyday without us even realising it.

Stickman is a entertaining read on a lifestyle that reflects his experiance of Thailand, but what's news today is forgotten tomorrow - and he is the first to realise that.

Tim

Speak for yourself dude. The Dude don't forget a lot of that stuff nor do many other dudes. A lot of that chit on the stickman site is pertinent information to be dug by the expat masses. The Dude hands stick a gold plated shovel for his enormous contribution to the expat community here . As for Bill Heineken, I got no idea who he is. Does he have anything to do with the brewery? Keep on digging the stickman's reads. Dig?

Edited by The Dude

Yer, I'll go along with that Pedro - his influence is restricted and he is be no means anywhere near the most influential farang in Thailand. Bill Heinecke would laugh his head off if he read that, and so would a couple other ex-pats in Thailand who stay in the background but who's business ineterests come into our lifestyles almost everyday without us even realising it.

Tim

Thirded... dropping the portion saying that Stickman is an interesting read.

:D

Edited by sriracha john

I read Stickman for the literary content. There are three or four very entertaining writers posting submissions on his site. Read Dana, Thai Thoughts and Anecdotes Part 151, “AN ODE TO FICTION” and “Extracts From The Diary of Dr J A Earnshawe, parts 1 through 4“, absolutely hilarious.

For those of you who enjoy a good read about Thailand, Dana’s last submission, referred to above, identifies some decent writers of fiction and faction posting on Stick.

I read Stickman for the literary content. There are three or four very entertaining writers posting submissions on his site. Read Dana, Thai Thoughts and Anecdotes Part 151, “AN ODE TO FICTION” and “Extracts From The Diary of Dr J A Earnshawe, parts 1 through 4“, absolutely hilarious.

For those of you who enjoy a good read about Thailand, Dana’s last submission, referred to above, identifies some decent writers of fiction and faction posting on Stick.

Yup Dana's latest submission even suggested that they name friendship bridge after me. Bless him...

Edited by Casanundra

Tim

Speak for yourself dude. The Dude don't forget a lot of that stuff nor do many other dudes. A lot of that chit on the stickman site is pertinent information to be dug by the expat masses. The Dude hands stick a gold plated shovel for his enormous contribution to the expat community here . As for Bill Heineken, I got no idea who he is. Does he have anything to do with the brewery? Keep on digging the stickman's reads. Dig?

I'm not only speaking for myself, and I am not speaking for the people who have to firstly read Stickmans Bangkok, and then secodnly, decide to take on board what he has had to say. In the overall context of things if Stckman closed up shop tomorrow his "influence" as you like to put it may just impact on a bar or 2 for a couple days, but after that - all will be back to normal and other than for his comments regards "bars" and "bargilrs" there really isnt anything unique about it - all the info can be found elsewhere. Well fine, if thats the extent of ones interests and outlooks regards what is and what is not "influential", then carry on............

Suggest you do some reading up on Bill H and the Minor Group, suggest you do some reading on Johnnie Walker and a few other prominent drink name brands in Thailand.

These are guys whose business interests you contribute to everyday without evening realising it

These are influential expats who if they closed up shop tomorrow the whole economy in Thailand would feel it, and 100's of thousands would be out of job's

They are real influential farangs - not Stickman - and you have never heard of them!

Tim

lol ! 80,000 Baht - about 4 days, thanks :D

I think your Bangkok is different to mine. In my Bangkok - the world is bigger than Nana, Cowboy & Patpong, so I believe someone that can impact the profit of a bar IS influential BUT certainly not as influential as Mr Heienecke (however you spell his name) who is probably THE most succesful farang in Thailand. He's certainly the richest (unlike Stick).

Pedro

Tim

Bill Heinecke graduated from the International School of Bangkok; married, and formed

his first company, appropriately named "Minor Holdings" in 1967. The Minor Holdings Group has

since made significant investments in the marketing, manufacturing, food and property fields, employing more than 12,000 people and grown to become more than USS400 million in sales in 2002.

He is also a two-time past president of the American Chamber of Commerce, Thailand; sat on the Prime Minister's Foreign Investment Advisory Council, and accompanied several official Thailand government missions to America and Europe. He became a nationalized Thai citizen in 1991. When he's not overseeing his far-flung marketing, manufacturing, food, property and hotel development activities, he can be found piloting his airplane or indulging in his other passions, scuba diving and racing antique sport cars.

Stickman has a website.

Am I the only one that thinks Bill has the edge here ?

Tim

That's the best compliment anybody could ever receive :D :D :D

Tim

Bill Heinecke graduated from the International School of Bangkok; married, and formed

his first company, appropriately named "Minor Holdings" in 1967. The Minor Holdings Group has

since made significant investments in the marketing, manufacturing, food and property fields, employing more than 12,000 people and grown to become more than USS400 million in sales in 2002.

He is also a two-time past president of the American Chamber of Commerce, Thailand; sat on the Prime Minister's Foreign Investment Advisory Council, and accompanied several official Thailand government missions to America and Europe. He became a nationalized Thai citizen in 1991. When he's not overseeing his far-flung marketing, manufacturing, food, property and hotel development activities, he can be found piloting his airplane or indulging in his other passions, scuba diving and racing antique sport cars.

Stickman has a website.

Am I the only one that thinks Bill has the edge here ?

:D:D:D:D

Ah Pedro I've had a really shit day so far but you just cracked me up man. Thanks!

I think some of you are missing the point. People who read stickman do so because accurate information is sometimes difficult to find. I feel that even that he covers the nightlife it also reflects the entire tourist industry to some point. Most people don’t only travel to Thailand for the bars. They shop, rent hotels, tour, and eat too. If things look a bit off people may simply decide on another destination. Stickman is a view that cuts past the promotional side tourism and calls it from the street. Places like the Hard Rock, discos, shows are all tied together. If one is down then they all tend to be down. I think stickman said that the Lonely Planet even links to him now. That is huge because the Lonely Planet is a staple that people use to decide where to go.

Anyone who has been to Thailand knows that some places will try to compensate for slow times by trying to rip you off. The Thai government has even installed something to compensate for that, but I forget what it is called. Stickman will point out where it is happening.

Stickman also tries to reflect life in Thailand from visa runs to just dealing with Thai culture and logic. More times than not (including the reader submissions) it has let me know what I may encounter in my journeys and how to best avoid and compensate for undesirables.