Farang guy praised for sweeping roads in Sattahip, Chonburi

snoop1130

Farang guy praised for sweeping roads in Sattahip, Chonburi
Kwaang Siripoom

post-249866-0-33357200-1457521390_thumb.

CHONBURI:-- A western man has been widely praised after he was filmed sweeping roads in the Sattahip district of Chonburi.

The unidentified man has been sweeping sand and other debris off a stretch of Sukhumvit highway.

In the clip the man is seen wearing a yellow t-shirt and is dripping in sweat as he sweeps the road in the hot sun.

The man reportedly started sweeping the road because he was concerned about the hazard the sand poses to motorcyclists and car drivers, making the road slippery, which can cause them to lost control of their vehicle.

Daily News reports how local people have been impressed by the man’s actions and often stop their cars to wave and smile at him, with others bring the man bottles of water as he works.

Apparently, when approached by a reporter, the western man refused to give any information about himself saying only:

“I’m very happy and love Thailand very much. I’ve been living here in Thailand for quite a long time. The reason I’m doing this is because I want to payback what Thailand and Thai people have given to me, also I want to be a good model for people who live here no matter Thai or foreigner. I don’t want to see any Thai or foreigners have to get hurt or accident from these little rock and sand while driving.”

Mr. Sompong Srisaiyad, 75, a guy who often sees the foreigner sweeping the streets told the reporter, “I live here and usually come out for fresh air every morning and see this western guy doing the same thing every day. I’m really proud and thankful for what he does. I’m even more impressed when I realized the reason who does this is to save Thai people lives from accident.”

Source: Daily News

tvn.png
-- 2016-03-09

And not one of them would think to grab a broom also, and help him, so he too, could get off the road to ensure his safety.

I can see where he is comming from but, if no Thai gives a shit about their fellow man then why should he? If he wants to help foreigners, then put a sign in English warning them of the danger.

I have mixed thoughts about this. On one hand I say, "well done that man" and on the other, "what the <deleted> are you doing?" blink.png

In before the "working without a permit" posts start ('cause, you know, technically he is working even if he is doing it voluntarily).

I've wondered about that myself (doing little jobs like that just out of the goodness of my heart) but have been worried about the whole "work permit" thing.

In before the "working without a permit" posts start ('cause, you know, technically he is working even if he is doing it voluntarily).

I've wondered about that myself (doing little jobs like that just out of the goodness of my heart) but have been worried about the whole "work permit" thing.

My first thoughts too! That, and the last sentence of the report!! No mention of all lives, only Thais, says it all really!

And God help him if he picks up any plastic bottles or empty beer cans!!

Edited by Woody1

.............Mr. Sompong Srisaiyad, 75, a guy who often sees the foreigner sweeping the streets told the reporter, “I live here and usually come out for fresh air every morning and see this western guy doing the same thing every day. I’m really proud and thankful for what he does..........

He continued, "I'm so thankful that I couldn't be bothered to get off my arrse and give him a hand!"

Had the same experience when cleaning the pavement/sidewalk of snow and ice outside my English home a few years ago and then progressing into a nearby frozen-over ginnel. Loads of people saying well done but no-one getting a shovel out to help. Probably some had the same cynical thoughts some members here probably have - the "what's his motive then" brigade? Is he a saddo with nowt better to do?

Was not looking to court praise and I'm sure neither is he.

'When ah were a lad' everyone used to keep their frontages clear. Where my sister lives in Germany you can be locked up for not doing so when there's snow & ice around unless you're disabled/sick. Sometimes the Germans get it right!

.............Mr. Sompong Srisaiyad, 75, a guy who often sees the foreigner sweeping the streets told the reporter, “I live here and usually come out for fresh air every morning and see this western guy doing the same thing every day. I’m really proud and thankful for what he does..........

He continued, "I'm so thankful that I couldn't be bothered to get off my arrse and give him a hand!"

He's 75...

I say good on this bloke. If he wants to sweep the road, let him sweep the road. He isn't doing anyone any harm.

Some fellas like to go to the bar, others to the beach, some to the gym. This guy likes road sweeping.

Let's face it, there are worse things he could be doing.

Let's hope some of the Thai people who see him are inspired to take as much pride in their local area as this farang does!

No one should underestimate the potential for fallout from working without a permit and it's no good applying logic and reason from our own countries.

In years past I helped some civil servants with the English module of a Masters Degree they were studying for and they joked if anyone complained we were all in trouble.

One lady explained it would only take one person to start the ball rolling and the complaint would likely be taken seriously.

I won't bore members with her list of reasons for complaining but several would easily fit this man's situation no matter his good intentions.

i think the need or not need work permits debate has yet to start, i think people think too much into it.

he is a good man i drive along that stretch, so the safer the better.

The fellow is doing something kind for others, but working in Thailand is a concern, far more than it should be. Thailand's neighboring countries do not invoke these fears and kind acts and trade go unfettered.

his comment that he does not want to see anyone hurt in accident from the stones and dirt, but after watching the video its a wonder he don't get run over himself or cause an accident judging by the amount of traffic about, we all know that most riders and drivers here don't pay much attention especially when they texting or talking on the phone at the same time as driving/riding. coffee1.gif

I say good on this bloke. If he wants to sweep the road, let him sweep the road. He isn't doing anyone any harm.

Some fellas like to go to the bar, others to the beach, some to the gym. This guy likes road sweeping.

Let's face it, there are worse things he could be doing.

Let's hope some of the Thai people who see him are inspired to take as much pride in their local area as this farang does!

I agree with you 100%

He does not want to give his name because the authorities will consider it work and he does not have a work permit.

This is what is wrong wit Thailand and the visa system If he wants to do something without pay then it really is not considered work

After all who is he taking the "work" away from THAIS I do not think so

And not one of them would think to grab a broom also, and help him, so he too, could get off the road to ensure his safety.

I can see where he is comming from but, if no Thai gives a shit about their fellow man then why should he? If he wants to help foreigners, then put a sign in English warning them of the danger.

I have mixed thoughts about this. On one hand I say, "well done that man" and on the other, "what the <deleted> are you doing?" blink.png

"if no Thai gives a shit about their fellow man then why should he?"..........I'm very glad your sentiments are not a widely held principle, particular among the medical where they treat patients in war torn countries (like volunteer fighters)....smokers....drinkers....people who eat too much of the wrong type of food...etc., etc., etc.,

Edited by dotpoom

Plenty of cynical posts as usual..... If he's happy to do it then who are we to criticize..... Good on him.

A German friend of mine spent four hours in a cell at immigration Pattaya and was fined 60000 baht for not having a work permit. His crime? Cooking spaghetti bolognais for his friend and himself in the kichen of his friend's bar. Someone in the bar phoned the local fuzz.

I was once told off in a bar in Pattaya for clearing dirty glasses from a table. You have to be on your mettle in this fair land and be careful not to break those eggshells you're walking on.

My biggest fear(be it on a Fino or a big bike)is "going down the road" on my kneecaps due to the course sand and gravel

on the roads.

Well done to this guy for his community effort

This working without a Visa issue is really a grey area.

A few years ago I was warned off by the in-laws that the Village Chief was threatening to go to the authorities

and report me for working without a Visa.

At that time I was painting our fence and seen by them to be doing too much in the garden, therefore depriving the locals of income!!