Mini Van Regulations

roger101

My step son is thinking of buying a mini van (Toyota top of the range, one year old) to do private hire (golf trips, airport runs etc) He reckons that he has enough contacts for it to pay.

What number plate should it have (colour) and what insurance on top of the compulsory one that you must have for say a car or motorbike. And is there anything else that he should be aware of.

Just had a look at the link provided above. You might want to check with your local DLT before committing, as the Wiki page is dated 2011 and changes have occurred since then. For example, most new pickup trucks come with black letters on white background. One of mine has green letters on white background, and was explained to me as being for commercial use when registered in 2001. I have also hired a Toyota Camry with driver a few years ago to go from BKK to Khon Kaen to pick up a bike. That car had light blue letters on a white background. Licensed as taxi.

Just had a look at the link provided above. You might want to check with your local DLT before committing, as the Wiki page is dated 2011 and changes have occurred since then. For example, most new pickup trucks come with black letters on white background. One of mine has green letters on white background, and was explained to me as being for commercial use when registered in 2001. I have also hired a Toyota Camry with driver a few years ago to go from BKK to Khon Kaen to pick up a bike. That car had light blue letters on a white background. Licensed as taxi.

Wiki is correct. Blue letters in white plate is not taxi but non laying transport, eg hotel staff.

Pickups with 4 doors are seen as sedans, hence black letters on white plates, # doors are seen as commercial, hence green letters.

Wiki is correct. Blue letters in white plate is not taxi but non laying transport, eg hotel staff.

Pickups with 4 doors are seen as sedans, hence black letters on white plates, # doors are seen as commercial, hence green letters.

Not according to the driver.

Not according to the driver.

and he was going to take the time to explain to you he was incorrectly insured?

I did not see you or the other poster who doubted what I posted on the scene. Wife had a long conversation with him, and this is what she said. I see no reason to doubt it. As for the other ' opinions ' expressed here ? Credible ? You decide.

I did not see you or the other poster who doubted what I posted on the scene. Wife had a long conversation with him, and this is what she said. I see no reason to doubt it. As for the other ' opinions ' expressed here ? Credible ? You decide.

Sorry, not opinions, facts.