Canadian tourist attacked in Pattaya

rooster59

A stupid move to try and get out of paying for drinks. If I tried to steal from Thais in this way I would expect the same treatment.

I really like the Thai style of getting a bill rather than having to pay for every single drink every single time you buy one like in pubs in other countries, where you have to wait at the bar to be served, then wait for the waiter to pour your drinks and then pay for your drinks and then have to wait again for your change.

If idiot farangs keep behaving like this it will ruin it for everyone. A couple of Canadian girls tried it in a go go a couple of weeks ago and I have personally seen it many times. Come on a holiday to Thailand and steal from the locals. Scummy.

But more than your flimsy excuse I've seen many Thais pad the bill with drinks NOT bought. Or the tell you the calculation hoping you won't tally it yourself. I've gone through many bills and the amount they said compared to the amount one the bills differed by 1000 baht. Clearly you're a tool who's probably paid too much for your drinks. Lol

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why should the Thai who made the citizens arrest of a fleeing, drunken, foreign thief be fined?

And to those who will be claiming the "another final nail in the Thai tourism industry" I reckon that this Pattaya Soi 7 punter WILL be back and won't be put off from returning to Thailand. He will have second thoughts about doing a bill runner next time though.

And even if he doesn't ever return, I don't think any Thais will miss him anyway.

Because him can call the police and let solve the problem from they. This way it run in the most countries!!!

But if the bill is faked it's better to go a hard way ...!!! Close the bar and lock this staff!!!

A stupid move to try and get out of paying for drinks. If I tried to steal from Thais in this way I would expect the same treatment.

I really like the Thai style of getting a bill rather than having to pay for every single drink every single time you buy one like in pubs in other countries, where you have to wait at the bar to be served, then wait for the waiter to pour your drinks and then pay for your drinks and then have to wait again for your change.

If idiot farangs keep behaving like this it will ruin it for everyone. A couple of Canadian girls tried it in a go go a couple of weeks ago and I have personally seen it many times. Come on a holiday to Thailand and steal from the locals. Scummy.

For one, you don't have to always believe the narrative in the news. As reported, the tourist wanted to leave without paying a drink.

It happened many times that a waiter comes and serves a drink to a customer who refuses it. Maybe a second or third drink.

But even though the patron does not drink the glass, they charge for it.

That may be the case. Look at the man on the picture, apparently he does not look like a bum who'll leave without paying the bill.

Exactly...I agree with you. The other poster is an asshat who one day will be on the other side and then we'll see his reaction.

For one, you don't have to always believe the narrative in the news. As reported, the tourist wanted to leave without paying a drink.

It happened many times that a waiter comes and serves a drink to a customer who refuses it. Maybe a second or third drink.

But even though the patron does not drink the glass, they charge for it.

That may be the case. Look at the man on the picture, apparently he does not look like a bum who'll leave without paying the bill. Exactly...I agree with you. The other poster is an asshat who one day will be on the other side and then we'll see his reaction.

LOL... I had to read your comment twice... It must be getting late, because my first reading was.... "the other poster is an asshat who one day will be on the other side and then we will see his RECTUM."

Do you honestly believe the Thai version? Listen my friend it never ever happens !!! The usual crap is them loading the bill then your attacked mercilessly by all and sundry for daring to contest their extortionate tab. These scum do it all the time and so many tv armchair sleuths hijack the post with the same old crap then the rest of the cretins join in with their tuppnce worth.

We Farangs are there for the taking its our culture to be abused and robbed then be hospitalised.

Welcome to the LOS !!!!! (They always have the last laugh - excusing the pun).

Edited by ScotBkk

For me, I rather pay for each drink or a couple of drinks if I'm consuming more just in case of a misunderstanding or padding. Especially when there are a group of ppl going out. It goes both ways on either side when funny business. Edited by Friendly Stranger

The bar worker's behavior at the copper's coop doesn't really help his credibility that the customer was just another no good person who comes to Thailand and thinks he doesn't have to pay for drinks. Sigh....

Of course I wasn't there and don't know what happened, but being overcharged, double charged happens in one out of three bars I've visited in the last year in Bangkok. Wouldn't surprise me if Pattaya wasn't much of the same. Usually I can talk my way out of being overcharged, but it is really hard to keep a lid on your outrage when that doesn't work and they won't back down and if you don't back down and politely, you know what will happen.

It all defeats the purpose of going out for a nice time because it isn't nice anymore, pretty nasty the whole scene, if you ask me. Need to stay away, speaking for myself anyway.

Sometimes its a good idea to check bin after every drink, that way I don't lose count and there's less opportunity for Thais to take advantage of a drunk farang. I also always have plenty of change so they can't short change me.

many times I found to be cheated by Thai bar workers when they collect a total bill;

99% they try to cheat you and putting some more drinks on;

I am lucky I have a " very Strong Thai wife " ,

and she usually settle such things,

by reducing the bill to the correct amount !

But its no way that this Thai shit take weapons to heart tourist as a result of cheating

and tourist don't accept !!

i have never seen anybody sitting the whole night at one or more bars, and not getting drunk. what else should you do there, reading the newspaper?people who dont like to drink surely will not stay until 5 am at a beerbar.

i suppose, several girls asked him, can i drink, and he said ok, or up to you without realizing , that this was ordering a ladydrink. in the cctv it will appear, that he willingly ordered the ladydrinks.

i really am tired of everyone bagging thai,i have lived and enjoyed pattya for over 10 yrs.

many foreign guys try to avoid paying bar tabs because so drunk, then get aggressive because they think small thai cant do anythingi tell you now farang causes all the problems and im a farang

I agree 100%, last time I was there a Swedish guy was kicking up a fuss and being a <deleted> over 60 baht at a Doner stall, my mate a first timer couldn't believe it and even recommended to the stall owner that if it were him he would knock the Swedish Cnt out.

How many times have I seen farang being real dicks, I wish I had a baht for each time.

If a drunken customer is kicking off over the bill, call the police. Simple.

Some tourists get drunk, its a fact, but there is no excuse or need for this type of retribution.

Pattaya and Thailand suffers from this primitive response.

Perhaps the Canadian had genuinely fallen short.

I read yesterday that household debt in Canada is now at a ratio of 165 to 100.

In other words, for every $100 that a Canuck earns, he or she has to fork out $165 to cover various debts. Something has to give....

Edited by blazes

Let me be sure that I understand your logic, in order to secure payment for a few Canadian Dollar's worth of drink, you believe it is justified to almost kill a man.

Perhaps you have been in Pattaya too long.

Some tourists get drunk, its a fact, but there is no excuse or need for this type of retribution.

Primitive?

I have always regarded Thailand as "Thinking Optional" for the Thais.

I will wager, that the idiot that almost killed the Canadian, doesn't own the bar or have any monetary involvement with the transaction. Just another idiot Thai looking for an excuse to assault someone. If it feels good, do it.

Thinking is optional.

Edited by stuck

In the Thai press they're saying the Canadian ran into Pattaya Police station severely traumatised and covered in blood to seek help and report the attack by the bar staff. He seemed in a continual state of fear.
The police went to the bar to investigate and brought back one of the staff, a 33 year-old Thai woman (name withheld) who appeared drunk and had a cut on her knee which looked like it was the result of a fall.
It was this woman who tried to continue the attack in the station and who also launched a flying kick at one of the police officers when they tried to intervene.
She said the incident was sparked by the victim trying to leave the bar without paying for his drinks.
Funnily enough the woman's name and picture were withheld in the articles but not the victim's.
The victim was taken to hospital to have his head stitched and police are waiting to interview him. They say they don't yet know who wielded the weapon.
Police said they intend to prosecute the attackers to the fullest extent of the law for damaging Pattaya's reputation as a tourist resort, which if previous similar attacks are anything to go by, means it will all go quiet and be forgotten about in a couple of weeks' time.

Edited by katana

Not everything is exactly as it seems, and certainly never as reported!

The Canadian girls a few weeks ago reportedly had the bill from another group passed to them after the other group had left without paying, and the GGB was looking for someone to pay. I agree though as I once watched an Ivan guy getting a bit of roughing up as he had been taking the bills out of his cup and hiding them on his person. POS computerised billing has removed many problems, but the bar-staff beating seven colours of crap out of miscreants is not acceptable.

Guess what If he had refused to pay for the drinks or not the workers and the bar have no right to inflict violent action against someone

Throw them in Jail SCUM

yeah much of the same opinion. Why do Thais have to act like a snake or a cock when they fight. Do not they know their own police force_? Its best if we leave their bars and let them drown in their own liquor and stick like the Russians to the 7 eleven market or choose another land. Its not worth it. I have been in bars where the bar tender has overcharged us, just because he thought we were drunk.... I think this was much the same scenario. Just pay and never go there again. Let them cheat their own or dry out.

Primitive?

I have always regarded Thailand as "Thinking Optional" for the Thais.

I will wager, that the idiot that almost killed the Canadian, doesn't own the bar or have any monetary involvement with the transaction. Just another idiot Thai looking for an excuse to assault someone. If it feels good, do it.

Thinking is optional.

yes I would agree .... thinking is optional.... they do things her by instinct and with no cognitive interaction or association. A "NIKE attitude..... Just do it" They do not have any respect for the law.... so they would never think of calling the police. You see his puberty was still kicking in at the Police station. This lot should be left to rot in their own system of ethics.

well it looks that mr.canada is here the victim.....but maybe he is not...nobody cuts u up with a knife for nothing...( except in an argument or in a robbery )...I never been to pattaya ( and have no wish to go to this area after all these reports similair arise )

but a picture arrives:

there is a bar owner shady guy half or full criminal who sells alcohol and or drugs and women to western /eastern falangs....

so the barworker might operate on own bill ( he or she gets a comission on every drink sold and is responsible for the money )

so now here he comes mr. supersmart canada nitnoi brain...drinks drugs and whores all night and when a bill ( easy several thousand of bhats ) arrive he try to run leaven the barworker with a big bill open to his boss mr shady chinese ass...e ,

maybe already some other debts open in the past ..... so now he had enough the smile is over and he takes his old friend the knife and teaches mr superminibrain canada a life lesson in proper behavior (= u consume and u pay for it ) ....

is everywhere the same u get what u deserve....

sorry not bashing on thais constantly...

Hello Walter,

where have you been lately, did those nasty shady 1/2 crim Chinese bar owners upset you then?

Sorry your much to late, we already have a plethora of authors writing fiction about the Thai bar scene.

Hold-on, the mist is clearing...... slowly, slowly a picture arrives...... and lo and behold we see we already have more than enough ejits in Pattaya.

So, back on your head; and please, please never come to Pattaya.

PS if you think nobody cuts you for nothing, try living in Glasgow.

Edited by MiKT

Nothing new just another idiot drunk foreigner in Pattaya or anywhere Thailand. One of numerous reasons i just avoid the foreigner slums. Never had much of any problems outside the foreign slum areas. Wonder how many throughout Thailand go unreported. Likely happens more than once a day everywhere. This guy will likely pull this stunt again somewhere. Typical idiot foreigner.

well it looks that mr.canada is here the victim.....but maybe he is not...nobody cuts u up with a knife for nothing...( except in an argument or in a robbery )...I never been to pattaya ( and have no wish to go to this area after all these reports similair arise )

but a picture arrives:

there is a bar owner shady guy half or full criminal who sells alcohol and or drugs and women to western /eastern falangs....

so the barworker might operate on own bill ( he or she gets a comission on every drink sold and is responsible for the money )

so now here he comes mr. supersmart canada nitnoi brain...drinks drugs and whores all night and when a bill ( easy several thousand of bhats ) arrive he try to run leaven the barworker with a big bill open to his boss mr shady chinese ass...e ,

maybe already some other debts open in the past ..... so now he had enough the smile is over and he takes his old friend the knife and teaches mr superminibrain canada a life lesson in proper behavior (= u consume and u pay for it ) ....

is everywhere the same u get what u deserve....

sorry not bashing on thais constantly...

Hello Walter,

where have you been lately, did those nasty shady 1/2 crim Chinese bar owners upset you then?

Sorry your much to late, we already have a plethora of authors writing fiction about the Thai bar scene.

Hold-on, the mist is clearing...... slowly, slowly a picture arrives...... and lo and behold we see we already have more than enough ejits in Pattaya.

So, back on your head; and please, please never come to Pattaya.

PS if you think nobody cuts you for nothing, try living in Glasgow.

Brilliant reply,that gave me a giggle thanks' cheesy.gif.

Assuming, of course that he wasn't refusing to pay for drinks he had not ordered or received. The report does NOT make this clear.

500 baht fine each and sweep it under the carpet quickly.

Why should the Thai who made the citizens arrest of a fleeing, drunken, foreign thief be fined?

And to those who will be claiming the "another final nail in the Thai tourism industry" I reckon that this Pattaya Soi 7 punter WILL be back and won't be put off from returning to Thailand. He will have second thoughts about doing a bill runner next time though.

And even if he doesn't ever return, I don't think any Thais will miss him anyway.

And if hundreds of other tourists read the story and decide not to return, I suppose they won't be missed either????????

I like the idea as well,but experience has taught me not to do it in entertainment zones.I pay every 3 drinks,no chance of mistakes on both sides then.

I refused to pay all my bill a few times as Thai bar workers have tried to "rip tourists off" by adding bar slips to my pot....not often but it happens....so you being judge and jury how from your information do you not know if this may be the root cause of these conflicts, any way do customers deserve being beaten up...... NO