certificate of residency / proof of address in thailand

It's supposed to be free.

In practice there may be an entirely unofficial payment required, for which you will never get a receipt, and which varies from 0B to 500B depending on which office you go to and the way the wind is blowing.

To get a certificate in my local immigration office, I have to go to the person who wants the certificate, ie bank, DLT to obtain a letter requesting that immigration certify my visa status and current address.

There was a history that my local office didn't issue certificates until I caught them on a relaxed Friday afternoon and they explained the procedure .. Before they just threw Ubonjoe's pdf back at me.

Went to my immigration ( Sri Racha) department yesterday for confirmation certificate of residency so that I could renew my driving licence the transport dept told me I had to go there to confirm my address b4 they would proceed with my driving Licence renewal. I was told by the officer there that I should not come back here next year for you will not get it done there.

You must from now on go to the in my case the New Zealand embassy in Bangkok for this document. Strange but true I thought to myself I will get the 5 year driving renewal so not to worry for anything can happen over the next 5 years in Thailand. So I will not give it another thought but pass it on to your guys herewhistling.gif

Last week I went to Nakhon Phanom (NKP) for proof of residence to renew my Thai driving license.

They made me fill out a TM30, both pages, and supply them with a copy of my landlords ID card.

I played along with the request and they stamped the TM30 and wrote some stuff on it then gave it to me to give to the DLT, which the DLT accepted as proof of residence for the license renewal. (5 years) Immigration charged me 800 baht for doing this and the GAVE ME A RECEIPT!

DLT accepted copies of the TM30 and gave me back the original.

I had taken the landlord to immigration NKP only about a month previous to this in order to get my retirement extension and the TM30 was done at that time.

Got the extension with no problems.

I don't understand why they did it this way. I have never seen any reports of using a TM30 for proof of residence at DLT. But that is the way it happened in my case. Immigration NKP did say that this is new.

• 1 year later...

I've run into an a completely different scenario in Bangkok.  As a newcomer, I went to the US embassy to obtain a certificate of residency to open a bank account.  The cost was $50.00.  Bangkok Bank made copies of it and returned the original to me.  I then used that to obtain both Thailand automobile and motorcycle licenses as I had held those licenses in the United States.  This was done at the Department of Land Transport in Chatuchak and they retained the original.  I had those licenses in a matter of hours.  :partytime2:

I then went out and bought a new motor scooter and provided the dealer with copies of my passport, driver's licenses and the certificate of residency issued by the Embassy.  About two weeks later I received a call from the titling agent that the copy was not acceptable at the Department of Land Transport in Chatuchak and they also wanted one from Thailand Immigration Department.  I then went to Immigration and applied for a certificate of residency from them.  They informed me that it would be processed by mail and it would take 3-4 weeks for it to be done here in Bangkok.  The cost for this was 200 baht.  I am now into my third week of waiting for my certificate of residency... :shock1:

Obviously I have been stopped by the police as my motorcycle does not have a license plate... plus I only have the minimum insurance on it as I can not get comprehensive insurance without a copy of the Green Book.. In retrospect, I never would have bought the scooter knowing what I do now..  And right now I am renting a scooter, while my new one sits.  Talk about adding insult to injury!  :annoyed::excl:

• 1 month later...
23 minutes ago, Danielsiam said:

I would like also to apply a Certificate of Residency, at Chaweng Wattana, do it need also the TM30.. or any official paper ?

I am living in hotel

If you are staying in a hotel, a TM30 will not be required. That is one of the rare definites around TM30 notifications. You should have proof that you are staying in the hotel. For a certificate of residence, that may need to be a long term rental agreement, not just regular hotel receipts.

3 hours ago, Danielsiam said:

I would like also to apply a Certificate of Residency, at Chaweng Wattana, do it need also the TM30.. or any official paper ?

I am living in hotel

You will not get a certificate of residency at Chaeng Wattana immigration unless you are doing 90 day reports to them.

If are you doing them nothing more than the application form, your passport and a the fee of 200 baht is needed.