Finding work after university for Thais

malct

Last week I set as homework for Uni students to explain what and why they want to do as a job.

90% of them had the same answer....

To work as a teacher in my village school so I can be near family.

It worries me that there is a lack of originality in their mind-set or they all copied one paper 160 times (joke)!

Last week I set as homework for Uni students to explain what and why they want to do as a job.

It worries me that there is a lack of originality in their mind-set or they all copied one paper 160 times (joke)!

They probably copied one paper 160 times, no joke.

They probably copied one paper 160 times, no joke.
No they cannot trick me that easily, George and they know what happens if I find papers the same, "zero points" for both parties.

I think it's a case of tunnel vision.

My Thai wife's Brother who attended KK uni. and qualified with a balinya eck in business studies was asked to pay B 100,000 to become a low grade civil servant. He's now planting veg on the family plot. TIT.

Count himself very lucky , he is dealing with real vegetables .

A better option would be to enter into electrical , auto mechanical trades .

It saddens me , young Thai people with good career intentions , are

just fodder . wai2.gif

makes you wonder if its worthwhile sending children to university, i think we spent 500,000 Baht over 4 years sending my wifes son to uni in the hope that he would get a good job. I believe he has had a interview at Tesco lotus today, But he is talking about staying on at uni for another year to gain extra qualifications to become a teacher.

Wow ,, he has a interview at Tesco Lotus , 500.000 Baht , spent on his Education ,

What a waste of your money . Sad but true .

i admire your honorable intentions , Good luck , to the young lad .wai2.gif

Edited by elliss

Rajabhat uni's are the bottom tier uni's.

200,000 is about right to buy a teaching job.

However, there are national tests carried out for teaching positions. If he is at the top of the tests he will get a position without payment.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Tapatalk

I agree that it likely has a lot to do with from what Uni one graduated. My gf graduated from a top tier university in the South and she, along with all her English Major and other Uni-time friends of similar age that I know, have a decent job, some private, some public. Basic salary ranging from 25k to 75k per month. I don't know anyone having had to pay for their position, but certainly not saying it won't happen.

I think many times it is so common to have to pay for a position that it is taken for granted and no one mentions it. I do know it is common in Isaan, I have even heard of it for low entry clerk positions at Tesco Lotus, I have no idea how common it is in the other areas of Thailand.

I think many times it is so common to have to pay for a position that it is taken for granted and no one mentions it. I do know it is common in Isaan, I have even heard of it for low entry clerk positions at Tesco Lotus, I have no idea how common it is in the other areas of Thailand.

Makes it rather difficult to discuss, doesn't it?

Maybe it's just one of those myths which everybody believes but which rarely happens. (No proof of that either)

No it is not a myth, I know personally one school teacher, who already had a job, but due to personal reasons, wanted to work in another city, she had to pay ฿60,000 to get a teaching job there. I know to work in a bank, they want a ฿100,000 security deposit, that makes the job unaffordable for most Isaan villagers.

Security deposits (refundable) are something quite different, and are common in many Asian countries for people handling large sums of cash.

Teachers.... I've had a lot to do with quite large numbers of teachers. There are various ways of moving from one education district to another, including exams (one friend of mine was one of six selected out of 3000 applicants), or simply getting one's name in, and waiting. Paying tea money (I assume this is for a government school) suggests someone who wanted to move in a hurry.

• 9 months later...

Just to update, my step son is still out of work after 10 months of leaving uni in ubon, he did however had a job working nights in Makro but after paying to rent a room and food, he was out of pocket, so after 6 weeks he handed in is notice, plus he worked for a debt collection company, He is now helping out in his grand parents shop in yasothon.  He says that he is actively looking for work, sometimes I think they need a push, but living in yasothon, I understand that there are not a lot of jobs going. He has had two interviews for the police andone at yasothon hospital, but nothing came of it, I understand that ubon will offer more opportunities, but then he would have to rent a room. I guess there won't be any employment agencies like their are now in the UK. We are trying to help him and even the wife has phoned around places for him, but I think it's going to be down to the step son and go knocking on doors.

On 3/16/2016 at 9:06 AM, isanbirder said:

Makes it rather difficult to discuss, doesn't it?

Maybe it's just one of those myths which everybody believes but which rarely happens. (No proof of that either)

I too can confirm that this practice is not a myth, but very much a normal part of Thai karachagan recruiting practices. It is nothing new however. I recall over 20 years ago when still just engaged that an acquaintance of my wife in Mahasarakham, graduate from the town's Rajabhat College, had paid 200,000 baht to get her secondary school teacher position. And I've hear lots of similar cases in the years since. That's not to say every teacher has had  to pay ngeun dai tor, but it is common within many departments, of which the RTP and Customs are reputed to be the worse. I should think a position is pretty steep in the Land Dept too.

I know people personally who had to pay to work in the TAO or Or Bor Tor, including one who eventually resigned, because she couldn't hack the endemic corrupt practices within the office. It really is tamada and people are unphased with requests by bosses at or after interviews for the position, or it is just common knowledge that XXX,XXX baht is the going rate for a given position. And as the OP's step son graduated in law, he should be aware that there is a massive over-supply of law graduates in Thailand, far in excess of the number of positions available in the public and private sectors, so it is almost certain to lead to corruption within the various departments or firms that may need a new recruit (which includes the aforesaid TAO, incidentally). The 500,000 B may have been better invested in a Western uni education (but not UK, which now cost £9 k per year for fees alone). Perhaps Germany or Netherlands, for something more affordable, but you'd still be looking at several times more than the Thai education system, and need a youngster smart and prepared to work had in the first place, which of course, can be rare qualities amongst M6 graduates.