Crash Helmet Crackdown

Well over a week ago i read somewhere that the RTP were going to stop all M/C riders not wearing a crash helmet and "enforce the law" However , to date there has been no change in the habit whatsoever and still 90% do not bother to use a crash helmet, and no police action on this matter has been noticed. It seems that the Thai population still ride around with their heads in that little basket on the front, as that is where the helmet always rides. RTP =

code for bloody lazy !

The first day it came into action, March 1st, there were several checkpoints reported around the island.

Since then . . . ZZZZZZZZZZZ back to normal.

Because, you see, it's about laziness.

For all police to constantly look out for all helmetless riders would generate a HUGE amount of income in the first week. Then just a bit in the second week, as everyone is now wearing helmets. Then nothing in weeks 3 and 4. Also there is a ton of paperwork and money to account for, scattered all over the island.

To hold just one check a month, everything all together in one place not only generates about the same sort of income, but the fines, bikes, riders, cops and paperwork can all be accounted for.

Where's the sense in following Thailand law? When has Samui ever bothered to do that? (Unless it suits some BIB from time to time . . .)

R

The optional use of lights at night is equally frightening.The biggest offender caught on dashcam to date was a whopping great crane crawling up Nation hill without so much as a candle to announce it was there. I nearly ran into the back of it!

The optional use of lights at night is equally frightening.The biggest offender caught on dashcam to date was a whopping great crane crawling up Nation hill without so much as a candle to announce it was there. I nearly ran into the back of it!

Good thing you obviously were not driving too fast! tongue.png

Me neither have seen any increase in blocks or pulling people over .... the usual once a week in Nathon on the one way, and one in Lipa Noi... not sure about Maenam near the police station, not been that way lately! wink.png

evaggib - Lights/no lights. Thai law.

It is not an offence to drive a vehicle at night with no lights - according to the policeman who came to the accident my friend was involved in.

Said friend, in a pickup, in the rain on an unlit stretch of road, went to overtake, and clipped a motorbike coming at him with no lights on. Fortunately only a damaged bike and scraped knees/elbows for the rider.

Police deemed it was friend's fault, as he hit the bike when the bike was on the correct side of the road. Had the bike been across the middle line- then the bike's fault.

However . . . In this wild west town named Sa-Mui - my feeling is that the sheriff and his deputies make up whatever they want, as far as the 'law' goes. Who knows! They are the only law there is.

R

When the day comes that the policeman outside every government school ceases to guide all the kids out and stops them to check licences, tax, insurance, and then issues fines for drivers and pillions not wearing helmets and impounds the bikes and confiscates the keys till the fines (500 baht per head per helmet) have been paid - then I'll . . .

then I'll . . . . um . . .

probably have such a shock that I'll have a neffin heart attack, fall off my bike and cause more casualties than ever, as the schookids crash over me, cars in the opposite direction, swerve and plough into oncoming traffic, including recklessly-overtaking mini buses on the wrong side of the road and a varied assortment of construction vehicles which won't bother trying to swerve because this kind of thing is fun.

Not that it'll ever happen, mind.

Just saying . . .

R

Queue line this noon (March 14th) at Chaweng Lake roundabout, to pay fine for driving motorbike without crash helmet – they stopped stopping helm-less bikers, presume due to lunch break, so the line was shorter when I finally had passed the bomb-check and parked in Central, and walked around to snap a photo with my mobile, before doing my shopping...whistling.gif

post-122720-0-16765400-1457979976_thumb.

And OldSailor35, I still live on this island and drive around almost daily – and I see more-and-more motorbike drivers wearing a crash helmet, and I also see more-and-more police checks, so something is improving – do you really follow the situation that closely on the island you love to bash, after you moved to the mainland...?smile.png

Livelihood of a few Thai's over someone trying to improve safety, now that is rather sad! ^

As for Khunper's remarks, I have to agree, I see many more Thai's heading of to work every morning, now wearing helmets... with Farangs that live near me, that is not the case....

Just so you know KhunPer. Oldsailor35 still lives on the island, not too far from you.... or me! His "bark" is not as bad in real life, as he comes across on the forum! ...

.I think the computer makes him cranky! laugh.png whistling.gif

Livelihood of a few Thai's over someone trying to improve safety, now that is rather sad! ^

As for Khunper's remarks, I have to agree, I see many more Thai's heading of to work every morning, now wearing helmets... with Farangs that live near me, that is not the case....

Just so you know KhunPer. Oldsailor35 still lives on the island, not too far from you.... or me! His "bark" is not as bad in real life, as he comes across on the forum! ...

.I think the computer makes him cranky! laugh.png whistling.gif

Thanks – in that case I will immediately kindly excuse my remark...

–and for farangs and helmets, I agree.

As I was coming off the one way system opposite the COP shop in Nathon yesterday... a policeman crossed the road with his hand beckoning to stop, so I did...

he got to me and said "You OK", it was two girls on the bike behind me who had no helmets.... so I guess there is a ... "crack down"gigglem.gif

Every step in the right direction is a good one as every life saved is better for all.

Wear good helmets when riding your bike people...oh and don't ride your bike at night drunk.

And don't ride without a driving licence.

Archived